Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Xbox to have no disc drive?

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1220412p1.html

The next Xbox won't contain a physical disc drive, according to a new report.

A source close to British trade magazine MCV claims that Microsoft revealed this information under what it described as "the strictest NDA" they have ever encountered.

While the console will not contain a disc drive, according to the source, the report suggests it will contain "some sort of interchangeable solid-state card storage, although it is not known whether this will be proprietary or a more standard format such as SD."

MCV is also claiming that a 2013 release window for the hardware has been confirmed.

A move to digital-only distribution would be extremely unconventional for Microsoft; if there is any truth to this report, it would be a major blow for traditional retail. Microsoft has yet to officially deny the story.

In response to the report, Microsoft has said, "We are always thinking about what is next for our platform and how to continue to defy the lifecycle convention. Beyond that we do not comment on rumors or speculation."
    Not sure how I'd feel about this... but it seems like a pretty cool idea, just not sure how practical it'd be. I'm open to anything though!

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post

Not sure how I'd feel about this... but it seems like a pretty cool idea, just not sure how practical it'd be. I'm open to anything though!
    ....aaaaand Gamestop goes out of business, or very close.
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I don't know if I am reading that right, but is that saying that all games would be digital, and no disc or anything would be sold??

Because if that is the case it is a very bad move since not everyone has internet or maybe not internet that can download it at a decent speed.

Or would it be like a memory card that transfer the game to your system making it a one time use. And if this is the case what happens when you fill up the memory, do you delete the old ones, and then have no way to get them back?? Or what if you have 2 systems do you have to get the game twice??

Adopted Broncos:
      (2011-2013) Eric Decker
      (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
      (2019-Current) Drew Lock
      Adopted posters:
      Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
        I don't know if I am reading that right, but is that saying that all games would be digital, and no disc or anything would be sold??

Because if that is the case it is a very bad move since not everyone has internet or maybe not internet that can download it at a decent speed.

Or would it be like a memory card that transfer the game to your system making it a one time use. And if this is the case what happens when you fill up the memory, do you delete the old ones, and then have no way to get them back?? Or what if you have 2 systems do you have to get the game twice??
        There's no real way to tell yet, but what would make the most sense to me is a solid state drive where you can load a large number of games onto it. I would also imagine they could make it large enough where filling it up wouldn't be that big of an issue. I'm sure they could roll out a 500GB-1TB solid state drive for a reasonable price.

Also what I would do is once you buy it you get it on the drive, and then when you get home you can enter a code on Xbox Live and get the ability to re-download the game at any time.

Comment

They should.have been using jump drives or sd cards.for a long time.
          sigpic
          2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
            They should.have been using jump drives or sd cards.for a long time.
            Eh, not sure about that. That'd be really expensive. You'd have to wait until the price of 10-12 GB SD cards drops well below what it is right now.

Comment

do not like,

how would you borrow games? trade em in? delete old games but still have them? play older gen games that you have on disc

if its like a thumb drive then it would be ok if it use as much as you want on as many consoles as you want
              sigpic
              -------

Comment

I didn't really read the article but everything is moving to the cloud. Future data concepts are that we will no longer maintain our own data locally and "ownership" will be defined in fine text in terms of service contracts.

I'm sure they will have some sort of cache system on-board where people without internet service can access games, etc. Or a person that does not want to utilize the cloud based service can purchase a SSD drive.

There are companies that are developing desktop clients that will only exist in the cloud but will be completely transparent to the user. I'm sure Microsoft sees the value in this and is exploiting it to the fullest. Ultimately it brings overhead cost of the device down, they can sell if for a little cheaper AND they can sell their cloud/membership type services.

It's actually a very good business model. Sell services not products. Services bring in reoccurring money where products are typically a one time purchase.
                Last edited by // / yardo; 03-09-2012, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Or what about if you actually like the case the games come in? I mean it's become an extremely big deal for what athletes are put on the cover of sports games.

I can't imagine Madden and NCAA without cover athletes. Call me old fashioned but I like having a video game shelf with all my games on it to look through.
                  sigpic

Comment

Just like the rumor about the 720 blocking used games, not happening. Seriously people, just think here for 10 seconds. Can you really see Microsoft announcing (at E3 no less) that their next system has no disc drive? They would get boo'd off the stage so fast.

Comment

Eh, not sure about that. That'd be really expensive. You'd have to wait until the price of 10-12 GB SD cards drops well below what it is right now.
                      They cost pennies to make
                      sigpic
                      2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Also, a move like this would just cost us even more money. We're going to need somewhere to store all of those games, right? 1TB SSD? That sounds feasible.

Oh wait. Microsoft is already charging us $130 for a 250GB 360 HDD. Imagine the price-tag they would stamp on a 1TB SSD for the 720. Just thinking about it makes me cringe. M$...

Comment

I thought they were going to include a blu ray player in the next version. Do they think people will only stream movies? Not a wise choice. Physical media still has a place among a lot of parents who will be buying stuff for their kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                            I thought they were going to include a blu ray player in the next version. Do they think people will only stream movies? Not a wise choice. Physical media still has a place among a lot of parents who will be buying stuff for their kids.
                            I'm thinking the no internal disk thing will be an option. As far as blu ray I heard the same thing. A lot of speculation until it's officially revealed.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                              Also, a move like this would just cost us even more money. We're going to need somewhere to store all of those games, right? 1TB SSD? That sounds feasible.

Oh wait. Microsoft is already charging us $130 for a 250GB 360 HDD. Imagine the price-tag they would stamp on a 1TB SSD for the 720. Just thinking about it makes me cringe. M$...
                              Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                              Just like the rumor about the 720 blocking used games, not happening. Seriously people, just think here for 10 seconds. Can you really see Microsoft announcing (at E3 no less) that their next system has no disc drive? They would get boo'd off the stage so fast.
                              I agree with the above.

In my opinion it's only a rumor and not true until proven by Microsoft themselves not a report. I don't expect any true form of info come out on any next gen until E3.
                              sigpic
                              Adopted Broncos:
                              EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Working...
                              X