Elder Scrolls MMO (May)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
    i don't see where all the hate is coming from, if you don't want to play mmo's then so be it, leave it at that.

but if you think about it, elder scrolls is exactly what an mmo is minus the multiplayer aspect.

it has the huge open free roam world just like an mmo should with all the "sandbox" elements as well.

they may not even use the same graphic engine that they use for their current games so saying it will be the most glitchy mmo in history is a bit premature.

these games take years to develop, give it some time before you formulate opinions like this.

as for me, it sounds interesting but to be honest i am a little burnt on the fantasy genre of mmo's unless it is pvp/sandbox centric.

but in a few years? who knows?
    The best thing about The Elder Scrolls is that it's NOT an MMO. Same with Fallout.

Being able to enjoy open world environments with your basic RPG system and not have to worry about monthly fees, other players, redundant quests, and bad storylines, is pretty much the beauty of Elder Scrolls and Fallout.

And name me two Bethesda games that were functional out of the box. I don't think it's a stretch at all to say this will have more glitches than your average MMO. Take into consideration the functionality of most MMOs as well as Bethesda's history regarding glitches, it's pretty obvious. Hell, PS3 Skyrim is still a mess.

I imagine the engine wouldn't be all that different either. They can't change too much with it otherwise it wouldn't feel like Elder Scrolls. Even BioWare knew better than to completely revamp TOR from what people were accustomed to in KotOR.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
      The best thing about The Elder Scrolls is that it's NOT an MMO. Same with Fallout.

Being able to enjoy open world environments with your basic RPG system and not have to worry about monthly fees, other players, redundant quests, and bad storylines, is pretty much the beauty of Elder Scrolls and Fallout.
      that is your opinion, many disagree.

who's to say there will even be a monthly fee? who's to say there will be "redundant quests"?

And name me two Bethesda games that were functional out of the box. I don't think it's a stretch at all to say this will have more glitches than your average MMO. Take into consideration the functionality of most MMOs as well as Bethesda's history regarding glitches, it's pretty obvious. Hell, PS3 Skyrim is still a mess.
      yes but you have to also consider that thousands of people will be in the same world at the same time. their current engine may not be viable for an mmo, they can still have a similar look and feel with a different engine.

I imagine the engine wouldn't be all that different either. They can't change too much with it otherwise it wouldn't feel like Elder Scrolls. Even BioWare knew better than to completely revamp TOR from what people were accustomed to in KotOR.
      bioware and TOR is a great example of what i a talking about. they use heroengine, not even made by them.

just sayin man, i understand you dont want to play an mmo but give it time, let them release more information about it before you pass judgment.

you may very well be right but its still far too early to tell.

Comment

I don't get why it's so surprising. The industry is only about money. MMO's bring the most of that stuff.

Fallout would have been a much better choice, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
          I don't get why it's so surprising. The industry is only about money. MMO's bring the most of that stuff.

Fallout would have been a much better choice, imo.
          Fallout is already confirmed to be getting an MMO. There was a legal dispute between the rights for it (or something like that) but that ended a few months ago. Last I heard, Bethesda was given the green light. I thought I heard something about a 2014 release but I'm not sure.

I don't see why you would do an Elder Scrolls MMO and a Fallout MMO. It doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. However, I think Fallout would make a better MMO mainly because it hasn't been done a million times before like fantasy MMO's. Plus, the combat would be easier to implement on a larger scale.

Regardless, I'll just wait for Elder Scrolls VI and Fallout 4. Hopefully Fallout 4 gets announced at E3 in a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
            Fallout is already confirmed to be getting an MMO. There was a legal dispute between the rights for it (or something like that) but that ended a few months ago. Last I heard, Bethesda was given the green light. I thought I heard something about a 2014 release but I'm not sure.

I don't see why you would do an Elder Scrolls MMO and a Fallout MMO. It doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. However, I think Fallout would make a better MMO mainly because it hasn't been done a million times before like fantasy MMO's. Plus, the combat would be easier to implement on a larger scale.

Regardless, I'll just wait for Elder Scrolls VI and Fallout 4. Hopefully Fallout 4 gets announced at E3 in a few months.
            i definitely agree with the bolded except, what would they do about vats? no way is the same company going to make two large scale mmo's at the same time only to compete with each other.

that would be suicide.

Comment

Wow, that's just crazy that they're going to do both. I can't see how they can't see how that's a bad idea.

I used to play this MMO Fallen Earth last year for quite a while. It was really badass indie 3PS post-apocalypse game and the whole thing revolved around creation. I was only level 20 and building ATVs and Motorcycles out of junk. When I had to quit they were talking about player homes, and being able to build them anywhere out in the wastes. I thought that was awesome. There was a ton of vast open expanse to cover and thought it would be awesome to get a bunch of players to make their own town and stuff.

That's kind of what I had my hopes on in a Fallout MMO. VATS would certainly have to go and anything else that wouldn't work in multiplayer. At that point though, I'm not sure how much I like an MMO based on a FPS.

Comment

Instead of an MMO, Bethesda would be better off doing what Rockstar did with Red Dead and somewhat GTA4. Have a separate SP mode in Fallout 4, but also have MP servers so that you and about 10 other buddies are playing on the same map. Maybe give it its own mainquest too. Just have it so that VATS is de-activated in the MP so that you can do things like Team Deathmatches in a cave full of Deathclaws. I don't even play MP that much and that sounds like something I would have fun with.

For an MMO you could just scrap VATS altogether, but that's what Fallout is known for. At least give VATS a disadvantage if you're using it. Like during the time you're using it you're DT drops by 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, or 50% (depending on your level), basically giving the other player/enemy a chance to attack as well. Of course they'd have to make VATS occur in real time for that to work.

Comment

more information has been springing out about this game as of late and i have to admit that its looking like it has a lot of potential.

also, after reading through this thread again, it must be noted that Bethesda is not directly making this game, they are helping with how the lore is implemented.

zenimax studios (the publisher of the ES games) is making it and the lead developers are a mixture of the devs from oblivion and from another mmo called dark ages of Camelot.

if you don't like mmo's then you are better off just waiting for the next installment in the ES series because this game is not replacing that like bioware did with SWTOR.

but as an mmo and ES fan, this game is starting to sound promising. just the thought of the entire map of cyridiil being an open pvp area with all the dungeons and caves to explore gets me pumped for this game.

its a three faction fight for control over the imperial city and the best player from the successful attacking faction (not sure how they determine that) becomes the emperor lol

also, they recently released an introduction to elder scrolls online.

Comment

damn that looks really cool. The combat will make or break the game for me. Skyrim combat is not good enough, and WoW combat won't do it for me. I really hope they have a new formula that will be fun, and stay fun over the long haul.

Hope I have steady work by then

Comment

damn that looks really cool. The combat will make or break the game for me. Skyrim combat is not good enough, and WoW combat won't do it for me. I really hope they have a new formula that will be fun, and stay fun over the long haul.

Hope I have steady work by then
                      combat will be most similar to oblivion but you will have the traditional mmo 3rd person view. it should be a cool game to play for a few months at least and maybe longer depending on how that cyridiil end game pvp works out.

Comment

Looks like Jakey might have to build a new compy
                        sigpic
                        2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                          combat will be most similar to oblivion but you will have the traditional mmo 3rd person view. it should be a cool game to play for a few months at least and maybe longer depending on how that cyridiil end game pvp works out.
                          It's gonna be 3rd person 1-click hacking and slashing? That's gonna be awful.

Comment

It's gonna be 3rd person 1-click hacking and slashing? That's gonna be awful.
                            well ya but from what i have read its going to be much more in depth and have near limitless options. the left click attack and right click block combat is just your base attack (like auto attack if you will)

Your skill bar in The Elder Scrolls Online has six slots, so Nick explained what you can put in each one. With great enthusiasm.

“Your first two slots are derived from your weapon. If I pick up a bow they’re bow attacks and if I pick up a sword then they’re sword attacks. Anyone can do that and anyone can be good at it. That’s sort of a touchstone of Elder Scrolls games, and we wanted to make sure we included that in here.

“Your first two slots are derived from your weapon. If I pick up a bow they’re bow attacks and if I pick up a sword then they’re sword attacks. If I continue to use that weapon over a period of time, I will get better with it, which will give me a wider variety of things that I can potentially do with my weapon attacks. So I can gain mastery of it by virtue of having it equipped, but I can still pick up any weapon in the game and be good with it. And that’s true of anyone.

“On top of that, if I continue to use that weapon over a period of time I will get better with it which will give me a wider variety of things that I can potentially do with my weapon attacks. So I can gain mastery of it by virtue of having it equipped, but I can still pick up any weapon in the game and be good with it and that’s true of anyone. I think that’s an essential part of it.

“Your next three slots are derived from your class. You will have over the course of your progression many abilities and spells that you will get, more than three. But you want to pick the three that you think will support your weapon loadout in an interesting way.

“So if I picked bow as my sort of principle weapon attack I might pick three abilities that are sort of snares. And that sort of creates a character that you might understand, like: ‘Okay, cool, I want to slow up a guy and pick him off and continue to kite him, cause I feel like that’s the gameplay I want to do.’

“And your sixth ability is your ultimate. It’s also a class ability and I will have more than one available to me through my overall progression but I can only ever put one on my bar because it’s really powerful. And you’re going to want to pick the one that supports that overall.

“So I might just pick Summon Frost Atronach. And a Frost Atronach’s going to fall out of the sky and smash anyone he lands on, and then hang around and start beating on people. Yeah, that totally supports by rangery bow metaphor from earlier. That’s the character I wanted to play.
                            I had a chance to chat with the lead designers of the forthcoming Elder Scrolls MMO recently, and I asked them how combat and character progression work. Gameplay designer Nick Konkle talked me throug

Comment

well this game is now in beta, did anyone see any of the hands on reviews from pax? if not here you go!

Last week, members of our team were on hand with Zenimax developers to get a first hand look at several features in the forthcoming Elder Scrolls Online. Next we give our readers a firsthand look at a trio of newly announced features. Find out more about what they are and then head to the comments to discuss!

At a press event at Zenimax Online Studios last week, the Elder Scrolls Online developer waited until the end of a lengthy presentation to deliver arguably the most important piece of news about their

If I had to pick a handful of gaming moments that will stay with me forever, three of them would be stepping into Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim for the first time. Another would be my first few days

a lot of good information now and judging from these reviews its more than just an MMO with ES lore. they also seem to be listening to the fans and have made some changes based on that feedback.

the combat now has a true first person mode just like skyrim but also allows you to scroll out and have a traditional MMO view, which is a must for any MMO.

they also made it to where you can go to the other faction lands when you hit max level rather than having to make an alt to see the other lands like they had before.

still not as good as being able to go anywhere any time you want to but its a decent compromise.

the one thing i don't like is the faction/racial locks. it fits into the lore they created for this game but it limits guilds to rolling the same three races.

i am sure that isn't a big deal for most ES fans but for bigger guilds it will be.

still, i am definitely looking forward to checking this out when it comes out as it is the best thing that will likely come out this year IMO (as far as MMO's at least)

Comment

bumping this because the release date is april 4th for PC and mac. i am actualy pretty damn stoked for this game personally.

pvp trailer

quakecon 2013 livestream with a lot of gameplay footage

Tamriel Foundry was an active community fan site for The Elder Scrolls Online which is now retired.

this game is coming out on the new consoles later this year as well, anyone else looking to check this out?

Comment

Working...
                                X