Which golf comedy is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which golf comedy is better?

A friend and I are having a debate over which is the best golf comedy Caddyshack or Happy Gilmore, and he said if we were to do a poll (his choice) would clearly be the most popular. So I decided to test his theory. Any feedback would also be welcome.
    Caddyshack
    66.67%
    Happy Gilmore
    33.33%
    Bring Back ORANGE Sunday!!!

Tim Tebow combines the intensity of Ray Lewis with the throwing ability of... Ray Lewis.

"It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word."-Andrew Jackson

sigpic

Neither.

Dorf on Golf.

/thread

Comment

In all seriousness, though, while Dorf is funny, it's more just sketch comedy by Tim Conway featuring the Dorf character than an actual movie and not really funnier than either Caddyshack or Happy Gilmore.

Now to your question, let me start by saying that I find Happy Gilmore to be an hilarious movie. There's no question about that.

But Caddyshack isn't just the funniest golf comedy... it's one of the greatest comedy films of ALL TIME. Seriously. It's on almost any list you look at.

Happy Gilmore is funny, but it's not one of the greatest of all time. I mean, let's be honest here. It's sophmoric humor that's mostly burp and fart jokes. There's nothing really too it.

The comedy in Caddyshack isn't just in sight gags, but in the writing as well. It's a film you have to watch more than once to catch some of the more subtle jokes.

Happy Gilmore isn't even in the same league with Caddyshack.

To put it in football terms, you're comparing Curtis Martin or Jerome Bettis to Walter Payton or Jim Brown and trying to claim that Martin or Bettis (Happy Gilmore) is better. There's no denying they were good, but they just aren't the same caliber as Payton or Brown (Caddyshack).

To be brutally honest, whichever of you is arguing for Happy Gilmore is embarrassing themselves.

Comment

Though I think a lot of the answers will have to do with the age of your voters and I think Happy Gilmore is one of my favourite movies ... Caddy shack is clearly the superior comedy film!

Comment

No Tin Cup in the vote?
          sigpic

Comment

whos your caddy lol.

but happy gilmore takes me back to my child hood and have a nice memory attached wth that movie when i watched it with my brother who is not around no more.

Comment

Caddyshack.

Love happy gilmore but it's not close.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
                In all seriousness, though, while Dorf is funny, it's more just sketch comedy by Tim Conway featuring the Dorf character than an actual movie and not really funnier than either Caddyshack or Happy Gilmore.

Now to your question, let me start by saying that I find Happy Gilmore to be an hilarious movie. There's no question about that.

But Caddyshack isn't just the funniest golf comedy... it's one of the greatest comedy films of ALL TIME. Seriously. It's on almost any list you look at.

Happy Gilmore is funny, but it's not one of the greatest of all time. I mean, let's be honest here. It's sophmoric humor that's mostly burp and fart jokes. There's nothing really too it.

The comedy in Caddyshack isn't just in sight gags, but in the writing as well. It's a film you have to watch more than once to catch some of the more subtle jokes.

Happy Gilmore isn't even in the same league with Caddyshack.

To put it in football terms, you're comparing Curtis Martin or Jerome Bettis to Walter Payton or Jim Brown and trying to claim that Martin or Bettis (Happy Gilmore) is better. There's no denying they were good, but they just aren't the same caliber as Payton or Brown (Caddyshack).

To be brutally honest, whichever of you is arguing for Happy Gilmore is embarrassing themselves.
                This is exactly the argument I made! To which he responded that it is a generational thing. I tried to explain to him that I was 20 when I saw Happy Gilmore in the theater, and thus at the height of my love for burp and fart jokes, and never once thought it was better than Caddyshack. He didn't care.

He actually used the line "the genius of Adam Sandler" while we were arguing about it. He almost won because my brain short circuited after he said it. There is no way you can prepare for something like that.
                Last edited by broncojuan; 03-27-2012, 11:05 PM.
                Bring Back ORANGE Sunday!!!

Tim Tebow combines the intensity of Ray Lewis with the throwing ability of... Ray Lewis.

"It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word."-Andrew Jackson

sigpic

Comment

For me it isn't even close. Adam Sandler is one of my all time favorite actors and Happy Gilmore is pure awesome. One time when I was in middle school me and my friends watched it 3 times in a row.

Comment

When you have a slice like I do, you don't watch a golf comedy you ARE a golf comedy.

However...

sigpic

Comment

Caddyshack. This isn't even an argument.

Just look at the cast, and the fact that Caddyshack can be easily argued as one of the greatest comedies ever.

Not only that, but much of the humor in Happy Gilmore comes from the Hockey background.

Caddyshack sticks to humor around a golf club and manages to make a seemingly mundane setting brilliantly funny.

Happy Gilmore is a funny movie, no doubt, but it really can't hold a candle to Caddyshack.
                      A book I wrote

Comment

Caddyshack. By FAR

Comment

Golf Comedies?

What about The Caddy starring Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin?
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

What about "Who's your Caddy?" with Lil Wayne.

Comment

Caddyshack.

Nnnnnoooonen.....Noooonen.....NOONEN!!!!
                              sigpic

Adopted Posters:
                              Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
                              Adopted By:
                              Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
                              Broncbeat

Comment

Working...
                              X