Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earl scruggs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Earl scruggs

    For anyone out there thats into Bluegrass or folk music, Earl Scruggs passed away today at the age of 88..I copyed my style of Banjo picking after him, when I was 12. I got my first LP called foggy moutain banjo and learned to play from that record. Playing part of a tune, then moving the record backwards to learn each lick...He was the man who wrote Foggy Mt Breakdown for the movie bonnie and clyde.. He will be missed!!

    http://www.newschannel5.com/story/17...y-steve-martin

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJOIq...layer_embedded


    Also sad today for me, Doug Dillard from the Dillards ( andy griffith show the darlins) is in ICU in Tenn and the outlook is grim..Bad day for five string banjo pickers..

    Prayers go out to both and their familys..
    Last edited by BANJOPICKER1; 03-29-2012, 03:21 PM.
    sigpic

  • #2
    R.I.P. Earl. Being a banjo player it's a sad day but he lives on in the music he created.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ChrisKamanowns View Post
      R.I.P. Earl. Being a banjo player it's a sad day but he lives on in the music he created.
      Thanks for the response, his music will live on, in every kid or adult that picks up a 5 string..:thumb:


      CP to a fellow picker! By the way, I was born in Flint in 1960
      Last edited by BANJOPICKER1; 03-29-2012, 04:46 PM.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Earl Scruggs in Colorado

        Originally posted by BANJOPICKER1 View Post
        For anyone out there thats into Bluegrass or folk music, Earl Scruggs passed away today at the age of 88..I copyed my style of Banjo picking after him, when I was 12. I got my first LP called foggy moutain banjo and learned to play from that record. Playing part of a tune, then moving the record backwards to learn each lick...He was the man who wrote Foggy Mt Breakdown for the movie bonnie and clyde.. He will be missed!!

        http://www.newschannel5.com/story/17...y-steve-martin

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJOIq...layer_embedded


        Also sad today for me, Doug Dillard from the Dillards ( andy griffith show the darlins) is in ICU in Tenn and the outlook is grim..Bad day for five string banjo pickers..

        Prayers go out to both and their familys..
        When I was the Entertainment Director at Western State College, we booked Earl Scruggs for a show. It was May 1973, I believe, and Randy was with him if memeory serves. Great show. It was in the gym at WSC.

        Requiescat in pace, Earl.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

        Comment


        • #5
          RIP Mr. Scruggs. If it wasn't for Flatt & Scruggs, Bill Monroe and Ralph Stanley I wouldnt love Bluegrass!
          Family, country, rugby, football

          I posted in the epic Peyton's NeckBones thread and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!

          Comment


          • #6
            I hadn't heard the news.

            Prayers for the Scruggs family.



            BANJOPICKER1, you have one of the coolest avys around.
            Administrator
            sigpic

            #LupusAwareness

            #TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

            "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Peanut View Post
              I hadn't heard the news.

              Prayers for the Scruggs family.



              BANJOPICKER1, you have one of the coolest avys around.
              Me Neither. Sad really because he was a class guy and really a true pioneer.
              Family, country, rugby, football

              I posted in the epic Peyton's NeckBones thread and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BANJOPICKER1 View Post
                Thanks for the response, his music will live on, in every kid or adult that picks up a 5 string..:thumb:


                CP to a fellow picker! By the way, I was born in Flint in 1960
                Do you go to the midwest banjo camp at Olivet college in june? I was born in Grand Rapids in 1991.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ChrisKamanowns View Post
                  Do you go to the midwest banjo camp at Olivet college in june? I was born in Grand Rapids in 1991.
                  Im on the banjo hangout site and have been in many bands from Colorado to Nevada to the Boston area. Still have a buddy in Denver named Doug who plays with the High Plains Drifters. Never have done the banjo camps but see them listed on Banjo hangout. I got a ton of licks I have learned just from jam sessions and feel for me, thats the best place to get new licks and tunes. Some day when I win the lottery here in Seattle, I will try a banjo camp im sure.
                  I play a 1982 OME triple X as my main banjo and have a Gibson RB4 that Im still trying out ( had it since 2001) just not as comfortable as the OME..:thumb:
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Earl Scruggs was like... the Jimi Hendrix of the banjo! RIP, Earl Scruggs! May the grass grow blue in heaven!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      many will follow in his foot steps. RIP

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3qbB4Kq3Y0

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X