Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought a new computer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Just bought a new computer

    So, I just bought a custom built PC that should be in by next Friday!

    Pretty excited, my best friend is planning on giving me a ton of his games i.e. Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Assassins Creed etc.

    I'm also going to buy Star Wars the Old Republic so if anyone wants to play with me give me your character's name and realm.

    My computer has over one terabyte of data in it, and (I believe) two fans. I can add a third fan for like $60.

    I do need to update the graphics card and buy a monitor but it's no biggie.

    Any other games that I should get for my computer? (Not interested in playing WOW, I think it's a dying game lol.)
    sigpic

    "Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

  • #2
    Nice. What are the specs? And a good fan shouldn't be that expensive. You can easily find a good 120mm or 140mm fan (with LED lights) for under $20.

    As for games; If you haven't played KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 I HIGHLY recommend playing those especially if you're getting TOR. Pretty cheap nowadays on Amazon or Steam.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
      Nice. What are the specs? And a good fan shouldn't be that expensive. You can easily find a good 120mm or 140mm fan (with LED lights) for under $20.

      As for games; If you haven't played KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 I HIGHLY recommend playing those especially if you're getting TOR. Pretty cheap nowadays on Amazon or Steam.
      Cooler Master HAF 912 600w psu
      Amd FX-8120 3.1GHZ eight-Core CPU
      8GB DDR3 Memory

      1TB Sata II U300 7200rpm 32mb Cache Hardrive
      AMD Radeon HD6850 1GB Video Card
      DVD_-RW Dual Layer optical Drive
      sigpic

      "Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by broncoFan! View Post
        Cooler Master HAF 912 600w psu
        Amd FX-8120 3.1GHZ eight-Core CPU
        8GB DDR3 Memory

        1TB Sata II U300 7200rpm 32mb Cache Hardrive
        AMD Radeon HD6850 1GB Video Card
        DVD_-RW Dual Layer optical Drive
        Sweet how much ? if you dont mind
        sigpic

        Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
          Nice. What are the specs? And a good fan shouldn't be that expensive. You can easily find a good 120mm or 140mm fan (with LED lights) for under $20.

          As for games; If you haven't played KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 I HIGHLY recommend playing those especially if you're getting TOR. Pretty cheap nowadays on Amazon or Steam.
          i support this opinion especially because there are a lot of things going on in the first KOTOR that effects things in SWTOR.

          not so much from the second game though.

          i would also recommend getting diablo 3 next month if you are a fan of the Diablo series or even if you are not but want something different.

          if you like player vs player in your RPG's then i would also recommend guild wars 2 when it comes out later in the year (SWTOR has it but i don't think its as good as GW's 2 will be).

          by the way, if you play SWTOR make sure you chose your server wisely, especially if you plan to roll republic.

          some of the servers are kind of barren while others are packed full of people.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            The Mass Effect series as a whole is pretty spectacular, as long as it's the type of thing that floats your boat. There's also World of Tanks, which is free to play and looks good on a decent PC. Crysis is always fun, even if just for marveling at what your new PC can do. There's plenty of other stuff out there too, I just can't think of it right now.
            Are you a reaper?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by broncoFan! View Post
              So, I just bought a custom built PC that should be in by next Friday!
              Always nice to have more consumers for the PC market.

              Originally posted by broncoFan! View Post
              Pretty excited, my best friend is planning on giving me a ton of his games i.e. Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Assassins Creed etc.
              I hate to be Captain Killjoy on this one but it's much harder to use 2nd hand games on the PC. For instance, he most likely bound Skyrim to his steam account meaning that you will not be able to play it...or you'll be forced to play it in its vanilla and buggy as all heck form. It would not surprise me if Battlefield 3 is bound to his Origin account as well. I don't mean to crush your dreams here just...you might want to lower your expectations for 2nd hand PC games.

              Originally posted by broncoFan! View Post
              I do need to update the graphics card and buy a monitor but it's no biggie.
              I would go to Tom's Hardware and peruse the monthly "Best Video Card For the Money" article as they have never steered me wrong in the umpteen builds I have done. Then follow it up by heading over to Newegg.com to buy the parts and the monitor. I would suggest not to skimp on the monitor get as much visual real estate as your wallet can bear (Heck you can get a 27 incher for lest than $300 these days, that's crazy), and BE SURE TO MIND THE RATINGS AND REVIEWS that other people give the monitor on Newegg.

              Originally posted by broncoFan! View Post
              Any other games that I should get for my computer? (Not interested in playing WOW, I think it's a dying game lol.)
              Well that depends on a lot of stuff, such as what kind of games you like. Do you have a buddy(ies) you can play co-op with?

              My first suggestion is to go to Steam and register for an account. Steam is essentially THE digital video game distribution platform for the PC. If you're a cheap punk like me, you'll love it. Every weekend and midweek there are special price cuts as well as revolving daily deals. However if you are especially frugal there will be a "summer sale" sometime in June with massive 75% off type deals on great games.

              Regardless here are some games I would recommend.

              Free:

              Team Fortress 2 (via Steam) (better with friends)
              League of Legends (better with friends)

              Single Player:

              Bioshock
              Mass Effect 1 (just 1)
              Any Elder Scrolls game (Morrowind is very different than the last 2)
              Fallout 3
              Orcs Must Die!
              Mount and Blade: Warband (If you like that kind of thing)
              Trine
              Amnesia
              Half Life 2

              Co-op: Try to find yourself some PC buddies and take advantage of Steam Voice chat.

              Dungeon Defenders
              Left 4 Dead 1+2
              Demigod
              Borderlands
              Magicka
              Section 8: Prejudice
              Terraria
              Unreal Tournament 2004: Editor's Choice Edition (There is no better shooter)
              Killing Floor
              Terraria


              Originally posted by baphamet View Post
              i would also recommend getting diablo 3 next month if you are a fan of the Diablo series or even if you are not but want something different.
              It's hard to argue with this advice, knowing Blizzard I'm sure it will be something special.
              sigpic

              Comment

              Working...
              X