Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guild Wars 2

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Guild Wars 2

    i could have sword there was already a thread about this but i cant find it with the search function to save my life, so if there is one please merge.

    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

    at first i was just casually following this game but after reading up on it a lot and playing in the first beta weekend, i have to admit i am pretty impressed and have already pre-purchased the game.

    i could go on and on about why i have the opinion that i do but instead i will just post videos for people who may be interested.

    ArenaNet's MMO Manifesto



    world vs world vs world



    Dynamic events



    mass info on the game

    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf...initiated.html

    keep in mind that this is also an MMORPG with no monthly fee which is amazing in itself but with no real pve end game, they wont have to keep pumping out content like some of the other games.

    if anyone ever played dark ages of Camelot i think you will love this game because the end game is very similar large scale pvp siege style combat.

    i am very exited for this game.
    sigpic

  • #2
    I've played GW off-and-on over the 7 years since it's release, mostly off. They made a visually impressive and momentarily exciting game. However I will not be playing GW2 because of Anets shortcomings in regard to game philosophy and some of the huge problems with GW.

    First of all, GW was billed at release in 2005 as a PvP heavy game. Yet PvP was always considered "broken" by the fans and it did nothing but get worse as the years rolled on. It is an imbalanced joke within the realm of PvP....absolutely terrible IMO.

    Secondly, items and gear. Again, horrible...terrible....what the hell were they thinking? The "elite" items that cost in range of hundreds of thousands of gold to millions of gold, were NO BETTER than merchant bought items that cost only a few thousand gold. NO BETTER. Same thing, different design. The value of items was determined by how sparkly it was, period.

    Third: level cap at 20.

    People want ultra powerful items, people want to be able to level, people want to strive to be "godly", yet they could not within this games silly confines. The thinking was that they wanted to create a game where people didn't need to "grind" to compete. Yet this fails because people whom didn't sink many hours into the game would fail anyway because they didn't understand the build, the essentials or the techniques.

    I must admit, I had a lot of fun over the years playing GW. However I was always bothered by the limitations imposed on character development, item/gear power and the rigor-mortis of PvP in-game. The usual pattern would be: I'm bored, the weather sucks, re-install GW, play feverishly in my spare time for a few weeks, get bored with the crap, quit, play again 6 months later. This went on for 7 years.

    I'm looking forward to being addicted to Diablo 3. Now thats a franchise with slobberingly over-powered items, level caps and a dynamic gameplay that Anet couldn't contrive if given a hundred years to develop.
    sigpic
    Rogue Colts Fan

    Comment


    • #3
      I didn't know the 'end-game' content of GW was just a big pvp map. That sucks. Doubt I will play as I'm not into pvp in the first place.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Indy View Post
        I've played GW off-and-on over the 7 years since it's release, mostly off. They made a visually impressive and momentarily exciting game. However I will not be playing GW2 because of Anets shortcomings in regard to game philosophy and some of the huge problems with GW.

        First of all, GW was billed at release in 2005 as a PvP heavy game. Yet PvP was always considered "broken" by the fans and it did nothing but get worse as the years rolled on. It is an imbalanced joke within the realm of PvP....absolutely terrible IMO.

        Secondly, items and gear. Again, horrible...terrible....what the hell were they thinking? The "elite" items that cost in range of hundreds of thousands of gold to millions of gold, were NO BETTER than merchant bought items that cost only a few thousand gold. NO BETTER. Same thing, different design. The value of items was determined by how sparkly it was, period.

        Third: level cap at 20.

        People want ultra powerful items, people want to be able to level, people want to strive to be "godly", yet they could not within this games silly confines. The thinking was that they wanted to create a game where people didn't need to "grind" to compete. Yet this fails because people whom didn't sink many hours into the game would fail anyway because they didn't understand the build, the essentials or the techniques.

        I must admit, I had a lot of fun over the years playing GW. However I was always bothered by the limitations imposed on character development, item/gear power and the rigor-mortis of PvP in-game. The usual pattern would be: I'm bored, the weather sucks, re-install GW, play feverishly in my spare time for a few weeks, get bored with the crap, quit, play again 6 months later. This went on for 7 years.

        I'm looking forward to being addicted to Diablo 3. Now thats a franchise with slobberingly over-powered items, level caps and a dynamic gameplay that Anet couldn't contrive if given a hundred years to develop.
        i agree with you about GW 1 and wasn't planning on getting GW 2 until i actually seen what the game is about, which is very different than the first game.

        its actually the best mmorpg i have seen to date and it has no monthly fee. i do see your point about the items and no real end game but hey, it will be worth it to me since i am not paying a monthly fee and can play whenever i want.

        also, if you played this game off and on for 7 years i would say that was well worth your $50 you spent on the game as well.

        lastly, i too will be playing D3 as i have already pre-ordered and loaded it on my PC. they are two completely different games, D3 is not an MMORPG

        plus both games require no monthly fee and i can play both whenever i want.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
          I didn't know the 'end-game' content of GW was just a big pvp map. That sucks. Doubt I will play as I'm not into pvp in the first place.
          i hear ya, i have always been about the pvp

          to be honest i don't raid or do pve end game in any game anymore. i had enough of that crap in everquest and the early days of vanilla wow and BC

          i play games to have fun and relax after work or on my day off, not to get stressed out by some dorks on a game who take their gaming far too serious.

          that is just me of course.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            head start begins later tonight, anyone else playing this?

            i will be playing on the server blackgate and my user id is baphamet.5082

            i am in a pretty decent sized friendly guild so if anyone is interested in joining let me know.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              No end game, no tanks, no healers, little party dynamics. Too many other good games this year for me to get it.

              One of my friends might but it for me though
              Last edited by theMileHighGuy; 08-24-2012, 04:19 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
                No end game, no tanks, no healers, little party dynamics. Too many other good games this year for me to get it.

                One of my friends might but it for me though
                ya its different, that's why i like it. i also like to pvp and the pvp is good.

                plus no subscription fees always helps lol
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  So baph do you still enjoy this game?

                  I'm not sure if I should get it or not :S
                  sigpic
                  2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
                    So baph do you still enjoy this game?

                    I'm not sure if I should get it or not :S
                    yeah but its different.

                    it is as advertised, you should watch some of the vids out there and read about the game before you make your decision. i would say its a casual players paradise, you can jump right into everything the game has to offer right at level 1

                    just don't expect this game to be something you can sink mass amounts of time into like a traditional MMO, you will blow through the content fast and will be left with nothing to do but pvp or upgrading the look of your character.

                    i buy a lot of games and gotta say this one was worth it considering there is no subscription fee. since there is no sub it really doesn't bother me that the endgame lacks, especially since i love pvp and this game is pvp-centric,

                    i also love the combat in this game. each weapon you use has its own set of spells/abilities and you get the ability to swap between two weapon sets instantly in combat.

                    not to mention there are very few skills that require you to stand still to activate, which is awesome for pvp because people are constantly moving.

                    another thing is, everyone pretty much has the same gear (as far as stats go) so to win in pvp you have to be better than your opponent, not better geared.

                    so basically, if that is your cup of tea definitely get it, if you like traditional mmo's with pve raid progression and extensive endgame content, do not get it IMO
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X