No announcement yet.

Official E-3 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wii only sold well because of the motion gimmick. Now that Microsoft has hit big with Kinect selling over 20 million units, and Sony trying to keep Move alive, no one is longer looking at just Nintendo as the choice of casuals. This is apparent with Smartglass and Sony integrating the PSV with the PS3 -- on top of whatever the PS4 and 720 have going for them.

They still need games. Nintendo might be doing what they did with the 3DS and announcing/releasing the good games later so there aren't any shortages in the beginning.
    I agree, but the only reason that worked for the 3DS was because they cut the price in half prior to their big releases. Had they not done that, the 3DS would probably be discontinued by now. You have to start out strong and keep it going until the successor is out. The Wii hasn't done that which is why it's still trailing the PS1 and PS2 by a wide margin.

You'll believe it when you see it. The Wii U will be Nintendo's last piece of hardware.

Comment

But I love Nintendo

Why can't they just make a real console????

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
        The Wii only sold well because of the motion gimmick. Now that Microsoft has hit big with Kinect selling over 20 million units, and Sony trying to keep Move alive, no one is longer looking at just Nintendo as the choice of casuals. This is apparent with Smartglass and Sony integrating the PSV with the PS3 -- on top of whatever the PS4 and 720 have going for them.

I agree, but the only reason that worked for the 3DS was because they cut the price in half prior to their big releases. Had they not done that, the 3DS would probably be discontinued by now. You have to start out strong and keep it going until the successor is out. The Wii hasn't done that which is why it's still trailing the PS1 and PS2 by a wide margin.

You'll believe it when you see it. The Wii U will be Nintendo's last piece of hardware.
        I don't think so. Companies aren't trying to make money with the consoles, only the games and controllers. Sony is or was (for a long time) losing money on each PS3 made and earning money on games and other peripherals. That's why it doesn't really matter that the price was cut on the 3DS, they are selling millions of games which is the important part.

Originally posted by Bernie24 View Post
        But I love Nintendo

Why can't they just make a real console????
        It is a real console and really its nothing like the Wii. The controller kind of limited the games that could be made for the Wii but that is not the case on the Wii U.

Playing Ninja Gaiden on the Wii U is like playing it on the PS3 except there is a screen on the controller that has a menu. You don't even have to use that controller though, you can use one that looks kind of like a 360 controller but the game plays fine with the screen controller. It might look weird but playing with it is no different than playing with a PS3 or 360 controller.

I wouldn't be surprised to see games like GTA or Max Payne on the Wii U. They would work fine, it's just down to if the companies want to support the Wii U and Nintendo allows it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brancos View Post
          I don't think so. Companies aren't trying to make money with the consoles, only the games and controllers. Sony is or was (for a long time) losing money on each PS3 made and earning money on games and other peripherals. That's why it doesn't really matter that the price was cut on the 3DS, they are selling millions of games which is the important part.

I wouldn't be surprised to see games like GTA or Max Payne on the Wii U. They would work fine, it's just down to if the companies want to support the Wii U and Nintendo allows it.
          To make money with the software you also have to have a demand for the hardware and vice versa. The Sega Saturn had over 700 games released for it (great games too), but it died because the demand for the system wasn't there. And I'm thinking controller sales won't help Ninty. The DS3 was $40 itself, how much do you think a tablet controller will cost?

And I would be VERY surprised to see something like GTA on the Wii U. I can't see any big name company like Rockstar taking Nintendo seriously until they prove that their online is on par with PSN and XBL. They're introducing a whole new online system, but we know almost nothing about it.

Another thing to also consider on the hardware side is the Wii U's disc drive. Once again, it's not DVD or Blu Ray compatible. Big mistake. People are now using consoles for more than just gaming. Many people bought a PS2, PS3, or 360 simply because they could play movies or use Netflix.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
            To make money with the software you also have to have a demand for the hardware and vice versa. The Sega Saturn had over 700 games released for it (great games too), but it died because the demand for the system wasn't there. And I'm thinking controller sales won't help Ninty. The DS3 was $40 itself, how much do you think a tablet controller will cost?

And I would be VERY surprised to see something like GTA on the Wii U. I can't see any big name company like Rockstar taking Nintendo seriously until they prove that their online is on par with PSN and XBL. They're introducing a whole new online system, but we know almost nothing about it.

Another thing to also consider on the hardware side is the Wii U's disc drive. Once again, it's not DVD or Blu Ray compatible. Big mistake. People are now using consoles for more than just gaming. Many people bought a PS2, PS3, or 360 simply because they could play movies or use Netflix.
            It's possible the Wii U could take the same path as the Sega Saturn but I don't think it is likely. The Saturn was a failure because of its launch and it didn't get very many big, new games. Sega made a huge mistake releasing it before the set release date (Only a few games were available). And once it got games it didn't really get games most people wanted to play, at least compared to PS1 and N64.

And Nintendo usually knows how to make a product successful. They have had failure in the past but they seem to have learned from them. And none of their failures have been major consoles but its always possible the next one will be.

The controller shouldn't be too big of a problem. The one with the screen is good, comfortable, and easy to use (after a few minutes of getting used to the button placement). Only two can be connected to the Wii U at once and having one of them should be enough since they have a more normal looking controller that should cost quite a bit less.

GTA would work on the Wii U but Rockstar or Nintendo may not chose to support it. The controller would work. Same goes for other multi-platform games. It just depends on if companies decide to release games on the Wii U or not. I think Nintendo cares more about online this time and it should be a lot better than the Wii (which isn't really saying much).

It would be surprising to see GTA on the Wii U in the sense no major GTA game has ever been on a Nintendo console but the game would play fine.

Good point with the disc drive, it would be nice to see a Blu Ray player. But at the same time a lot of people have Netflix or other devices to play DVDs and Blu Rays.
            Last edited by Brancos; 06-17-2012, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X