Question about PC Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about PC Gaming

So recently I've been starting to worry about the temperature my PC is while gaming. *I play SWTOR and other online games such as Diablo III*. I have 3 fans installed in my cpu case but I'm worried that is not enough. One of my best buddies who is a computer nerd as well told me that anything above say.... 70 degrees is burning your motherboard up.

Right now 3 fans is all that will fit inside my case. I am fanned out. However, I am thinking about buying a new case that can fit 12 fans. My main question is do I need more fans, or should I switch to something else like a water cooling system?

Is my best buddy right? I'm a little worried because when I game my computers temperature normally goes to around 63 maybe 64 degrees. Is there anything else I can do to keep my computer cool? Any advice from computer geeks/nerds is appreciated.

Thanks!
    sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

Originally posted by broncoFan! View Post
    So recently I've been starting to worry about the temperature my PC is while gaming. *I play SWTOR and other online games such as Diablo III*. I have 3 fans installed in my cpu case but I'm worried that is not enough. One of my best buddies who is a computer nerd as well told me that anything above say.... 70 degrees is burning your motherboard up.

Right now 3 fans is all that will fit inside my case. I am fanned out. However, I am thinking about buying a new case that can fit 12 fans. My main question is do I need more fans, or should I switch to something else like a water cooling system?

Is my best buddy right? I'm a little worried because when I game my computers temperature normally goes to around 63 maybe 64 degrees. Is there anything else I can do to keep my computer cool? Any advice from computer geeks/nerds is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Water cooling is pretty expensive, itd probably be a little more cost effective to just buy a new case. Right now in mine I have a thermaltake cpu cooler, a hard drive fan, a rear fan, side fan, and two fans in the front that i rigged up. If you have a side fan try and turn it around so it blows air onto the motherboard
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
      Water cooling is pretty expensive, itd probably be a little more cost effective to just buy a new case. Right now in mine I have a thermaltake cpu cooler, a hard drive fan, a rear fan, side fan, and two fans in the front that i rigged up. If you have a side fan try and turn it around so it blows air onto the motherboard
      Actually, it's not too bad. My friend told me he is going to do it, and he found a tube that he can install for only $100. I'm planning on buying a new case though, and my friend is going to give me all of his fans since he is switching over to the water cooling system.

Yah my side fan right now is blowing air straight into the motherboard. Actually, it was my best friend who showed me how to install them and did it totally free of charge.

You said that you rigged two fans up in the front? So... you had to do those yourself manually, as in.. there was not space for them in your cpu case?
      sigpic

Comment

is your processor overclocked? those games should not be pushing your cpu at all. i agree that a new case is the most cost efficient solution.

i also disagree that your cpu needs to run at 70 degrees unless you are talking Celsius (which is 158 degrees Fahrenheit ). although i would still try to keep it a little under that. i think you are worrying too much.
        sigpic

Comment

Before you start buying new fans you should make sure that you're not overheating because of dust build-up inside the case. 63-64°C is way above what your computer should be running at when working at full load.

(I assume you've already lowered all the game settings to their minimum levels)
          sigpic
          - ★ -
          2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
            is your processor overclocked? those games should not be pushing your cpu at all. i agree that a new case is the most cost efficient solution.

i also disagree that your cpu needs to run at 70 degrees unless you are talking Celsius (which is 158 degrees Fahrenheit ). although i would still try to keep it a little under that. i think you are worrying too much.
            No, my friend actually tried really hard to do it on my computer, but because I told him I want this as a general computer and not just a gaming computer he backed off.

I'm talking Celcius. For example, right now with no games playing and just chatting on BCMB my computer is running at 32 degrees Celcius. Not bad.

Haha I should worry I spent over $1,000 on this baby! But yah from what I've been reading anything in the high 70's is pretty bad for your CPU.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sSync View Post
              Before you start buying new fans you should make sure that you're not overheating because of dust build-up inside the case. 63-64°C is way above what your computer should be running at when working at full load.

(I assume you've already lowered all the game settings to their minimum levels)

It's definitely not that. My computer is relatively new plus when I do other things like browsing the internet that don't use as much energy, my computer goes down to like 30 degrees instead of 58 or 63 degrees.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncoFan! View Post
                It's definitely not that. My computer is relatively new plus when I do other things like browsing the internet that don't use as much energy, my computer goes down to like 30 degrees instead of 58 or 63 degrees.
                It might still be worth taking a quick look before you spend any money - you'd be surprised how quickly dust can build up.
                If it's not the problem then you've wasted 120 seconds... if it is, you've saved yourself an unnecessary expenditure.
                sigpic
                - ★ -
                2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

There is no reason your computer should be running at that heat. It's brand new.

If you've opened it up quite a bit with your friend I'd go back through and check the connections to your fans. And also you should probably do as Ssync suggested.

I have an old clunker that I play those games on and it doesn't touch 50.

Especially if it's not overclocked it doesn't make much sense to me at all.

I'm not saying your friend doesn't know what he's doing but maybe have someone else check it out if you don't know enough yourself.
                  sigpic
                  2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

A new case is good, but Watercooling isn't all that necessary. It sounds like you need to get a better CPU fan. How big are the fans you currently have installed? You really shouldn't need more than 3 or 4 fans unless you're running SLI GPUs. Also, where do you have your case? Resting It on something that will block circulation like a carpet is dangerous. Check for dust, too.

Comment

Have you checked the Flux Capacitor or the mass spectrometer?

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
                        Have you checked the Flux Capacitor or the mass spectrometer?
                        ahh this thread is gonna go down quickly haha

i have a couple 80mm fans in the front. mine runs pretty cool, havent done much gaming on it though. i might get a game where i can plug my xbox controller in and abuse the hell out of my cvomputer, ha jk
                        sigpic

Comment

What's your cpu load look like? I've seen PC's with unstable software tax the hell out if a cpu. That could lead to overheating.

Comment

**UPDATE**

So my best buddy and I did the crazy CPU case switch. He gave me 6 of his fans for free along with his case and I gave him my case with 4 fans. He is planning on switching to a water cooling system. Right now, I am on BCMB and I am browsing at 44 degrees. Not bad. Not bad.

I haven't tried gaming yet but I'm certain it will be a lot cooler. My buddy just saved me about $200.
                            sigpic

Comment

damn dude 6 fans?? I only have one fan in my case and my 4 cores run idle 30 C and 50 C when gaming. I think something may be wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X