Best War Movie Ever Made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best War Movie Ever Made?

I like Black Hawk Down- its 100% real, and there was a lot of heroism on that day.

Band Of Brother tied with it.

tears of the sun

Comment

I've never been in combat myself, but I've got a friend who's position was overrun on his 1st day in Vietnam. He wound up hiding in a storeroom for 24 hours until the U.S. took back the area. He tells me that "Saving Private Ryan" was the most realistic depiction of combat he has ever seen in a movie. He said the only thing missing was the smell. I'm not sure what that means, and frankly, I don't think I want to know.

I work on a military base and after that movie came out there were flyers from the VA posted everywhere saying that counselors were available for combat vets who were traumatized by SPR.
      "Oh I Have Slipped The Surly Bonds of Earth... Put Out My Hand And Touched the Face of God"

-Rest In Peace, Darrent & Damien

Comment

Just the smell of ammo, artillery...kinda of like an incinerating smell....I've never been in combat either, but I would venture a guess that it smells something like that....like how the WTC smelled after 9/11.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

I never liked blackhawk down I know it was based on real events but it was the war movie version of groundhog day...full metal jacket,platoon are both great even one most people won't say....sniper.But yes SPR I beleive is king of them all.....Tora Tora Tora also gets props.
          Go Broncos, Capitals, and Orioles

Thanks SNK16

Comment

For old school war movies, I really liked "A Bridge Too Far", "The Dirty Dozen", and "Midway".
            "Oh I Have Slipped The Surly Bonds of Earth... Put Out My Hand And Touched the Face of God"

-Rest In Peace, Darrent & Damien

Comment

Band of Brothers for me, no contest. I loved the interviews with the veterans that they had before each episode. You grew to love each character and I couldn't wait to see the next episode. Absolutely magnificent.
              sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Comment

Originally posted by Booher
                I never liked blackhawk down I know it was based on real events but it was the war movie version of groundhog day.
                Not trying to pick a fight, but what do you mean?

Comment

we have a blackhawk down send in another one guess what we have another blackhawk down....send in another one......Not enough variety for me actually I fell asleep watching it for the first time....

Thanks SNK16

Comment

im liking behind enemy lines..that was cool

a war movie that was a real dissapointment tho was Pearl Harbor with ..whats-his-face.. that was more centered on a love story then the war. ive been to the pearl harbor mesuem in hawaii and seen all that stuff but the movie was a big let down..

i thought SPR was good too

think they'll come out with a movie for this one?

pimpette

Comment

Hmm...tough to say.

And isn't Band of Brothers technically a series...not a movie?
                      sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

I agree that Blackhawk Down was very liberally made into a Hollywood version.

Based on what I know, and based on what I've heard of the incident at least.

I despise most military flicks though. Almost all of them are crap. I don't like how they inaccurately depict a lot of things. If I see one more "special forces expert" hold his weapon wrong, I think I'm going to just puke.

Alastor.

Comment

Navy seals was cool too...Hell just cause i can relate since it was filmed in my old home town...va beach va.

Thanks SNK16

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco
                            Hmm...tough to say.

And isn't Band of Brothers technically a series...not a movie?
                            I guess it is, technically. It's still my favorite non-fictional depiction of war. I really didn't feel a need to split hairs.
                            sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Comment

Das Boot

The Director's Cut in German with the subtitles.

Comment

Working...
                              X