Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dark Knight Rises official thread!! Spoilers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dark Knight Rises official thread!! Spoilers.

I thought this movie deserved its own thread like Prometheus because I wanted to be able to discuss the movie with those who have already seen it without fear of spoiling it for others. Or doing hidden spoilers.

I'll start by rating it 10/10.

I actually think I liked it more than the Avengers and am re assessing my 10/10 on Avengers.

I'm in the minority but I thought Bane was an excellent villain with an excellent story. I thought he was better than Heath ledgers joker. I know I'll get ripped for that. I've been saying for years that Heath ledgers performance while good was overhyped because he died.

I think the true genius behind the Dark knight was Chris Nolan and I felt TDKR really backed me up on that.

Also have been getting tired of people saying Christian Bale ruined this movie for them. Bale is one of the few good actors left in Hollywood and pulled this role off great. People complain he wasn't very charismatic. HELLO that's how the series was drawn up. It's a darker look into Bruce Wayne and Batman.

Loved the Robin stuff at the end. I knew it was him from the beginning. When commissioner Gordon went to the tunnel and got captured I thought it was funny how the cop stayed back and waited till no one saw him and then ran off somewhere else. Seemed to me like a typical hero in disguise move. Him knowing who Wayne was only confirmed it for me.

The plot with Miranda Tate caught me off guard. One of my buddies said after she took the knife out why didn't he punch her in the face? Or why didn't they do anything to her after the truck crashed. That made me laugh a little but he was right. Why did she get treated like a lady still?

Anyways that's it for now. I'll have more later if people way in.

I loved this movie and the series. Nolan is a genius and Bale is great as Batman. I think this is easily the best Batman series and I think Bale is the best to ever play the Bat.

I'm only disappointed we likely won't see a 4th installment with Robin. It was a teaser we will have to suffer through.
    sigpic

I'd give it a 5/10. It was mildly entertaining, but I consider it a renter. I know I won't ever be watching it again. Was definitely the worst of the three.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
      I thought this movie deserved its own thread like Prometheus because I wanted to be able to discuss the movie with those who have already seen it without fear of spoiling it for others. Or doing hidden spoilers.

I actually think I liked it more than the Avengers and am re assessing my 10/10 on Avengers.
      Avengers and Nolan's Batman movies are incomparable. The Avengers is cheesy and not so serious and supposed to be fun and actiony and exciting, with lots of colors and kindof a crowd pleaser. It accomplished that. Nolan's Batman's are serious and realistic and dark and full of diologue important to character development and stuff. The Avengers was good, and you can rate it a 10 along with TDKR without having to rethink it because they are two different types of movies with different intentions. Nolan's Batman's are so far ahead of every other superhero franchise because there's a whole lot more depth to them, so to compare his stuff with any of Marvel's movies is just unfair IMO. It's like saying The Godfather is better than Dumb and Dumber. They are too different to begin to compare. I disagree that either TDKR or Avengers should be a 10 anyway.

Also have been getting tired of people saying Christian Bale ruined this movie for them. Bale is one of the few good actors left in Hollywood and pulled this role off great. People complain he wasn't very charismatic. HELLO that's how the series was drawn up. It's a darker look into Bruce Wayne and Batman.
      Bale is a great actor and a good Batman. He's not very charismatic as Batman. The reason some people might not think he's charismatic enough is because of the cast surrounding him throughout the trilogy. His villains and all of the great actors that have been in the movies definitely make it hard for him to shine. His role was pretty irrelevant in TDK compared to that of The Joker because that movie was more about villainy and corruption than it was about Batman. Batman Begins is great because it focuses on character development of Batman, something TDK was missing, and something that TDKR brought back and that's one of my favorite parts about Rises.

I loved this movie and the series. Nolan is a genius and Bale is great as Batman. I think this is easily the best Batman series and I think Bale is the best to ever play the Bat.

I'm only disappointed we likely won't see a 4th installment with Robin. It was a teaser we will have to suffer through.
      Definitely the best movie series about Batman, and definitely the best Batman.

I have some complaints with the movie that I will post once I rewatch it tomorrow hopefully. It was by no means a perfect movie. Brief breakdown of them would be:

-Bane and Talia's fairly underwhelming deaths
      -Being so explicit about JGL's name being Robin
      -showing Selina and Bruce at the end...I think it would've been more effective had it ended at Alfred's smile
      -the music was pretty awful

I would still give it a 9/10 at least. Great end for the trilogy.

Comment

It was great but not as good at the second one still a great way to end the trilogy
        sigpic

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

Comment

Originally posted by aberdien View Post

I have some complaints with the movie that I will post once I rewatch it tomorrow hopefully. It was by no means a perfect movie. Brief breakdown of them would be:

-showing Selina and Bruce at the end...I think it would've been more effective had it ended at Alfred's smile

Agreed about everything especially Bane death i was ready for round 3 between him and batman and then BOOM he is cheaply shot i taught the movie was perfect until that point it left a bad taste in my mouth.

But i have to disagree about the music i taught it was epic and helped the movie a lot Hans Zimmer is really great at soundtracks.
          sigpic

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

Comment

I'm in the minority but I thought Bane was an excellent villain with an excellent story. I thought he was better than Heath ledgers joker. I know I'll get ripped for that. I've been saying for years that Heath ledgers performance while good was overhyped because he died.

I think the true genius behind the Dark knight was Chris Nolan and I felt TDKR really backed me up on that.

Loved the Robin stuff at the end. I knew it was him from the beginning. When commissioner Gordon went to the tunnel and got captured I thought it was funny how the cop stayed back and waited till no one saw him and then ran off somewhere else. Seemed to me like a typical hero in disguise move. Him knowing who Wayne was only confirmed it for me.

The plot with Miranda Tate caught me off guard. One of my buddies said after she took the knife out why didn't he punch her in the face? Or why didn't they do anything to her after the truck crashed. That made me laugh a little but he was right. Why did she get treated like a lady still?

I agree with all of this. I only gave the Avengers an 8/10 I believe so there's no question to me what the better film is. And I'm with you 100%, I definitely liked Bane over Ledger's Joker. I also liked how we got to see Scarecrow once again or at least Dr. Crane, it would've been nice to see Cillian Murphy actually wearing the Scarecrow mask and instead of death or exile, it could be death, exile, or fear, as he sprays them with his toxin. But Nolan did a great job of giving him screen-time without going overboard with it.

Christian Bale is an amazing actor, and I really like him as Batman, but he still gets a lot of hate for some reason. I still think he's by far the best Bruce Wayne. As the best Batman, I would still probably take Keaton, but Bale is good, too.

And as for Robin, I thought Nolan did a great job at implementing that as well. It actually felt like JGL (also an amazing actor) was Batman's sidekick during the entire film anyways with the way he was running around the city (as the only cop) trying to find solutions and answers and when he rushed to save Gordon. Prior to this film, Nolan and Bale both stated that having Robin would be too much of a hassle, but JGL felt like he was playing the role during the entire movie. It was great! Although, I think the ending left it up to interpretation.

I just think the whole "Robin John Blake" thing at the end was just to raise the eyebrows of the audience. It certainly started chatter when I was watching it. He either becomes Nightwing, the new Batman, or a new hero altogether. The way the bats were flying all around him at the end gave me the impression that he becomes the new Batman while Bruce Wayne finally retires and settles like Alfred wanted him to.

I would also like to point out that it seems like Nolan was influenced by the Earth Two universe seeing as Bruce Wayne ends up with Selina Kyle at the end. Their child in Earth Two is Helena Wayne or Huntress.
            Last edited by Amari24; 07-23-2012, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aberdien View Post
              Avengers and Nolan's Batman movies are incomparable. The Avengers is cheesy and not so serious and supposed to be fun and actiony and exciting, with lots of colors and kindof a crowd pleaser. It accomplished that. Nolan's Batman's are serious and realistic and dark and full of diologue important to character development and stuff. The Avengers was good, and you can rate it a 10 along with TDKR without having to rethink it because they are two different types of movies with different intentions. Nolan's Batman's are so far ahead of every other superhero franchise because there's a whole lot more depth to them, so to compare his stuff with any of Marvel's movies is just unfair IMO. It's like saying The Godfather is better than Dumb and Dumber. They are too different to begin to compare. I disagree that either TDKR or Avengers should be a 10 anyway.

Bale is a great actor and a good Batman. He's not very charismatic as Batman. The reason some people might not think he's charismatic enough is because of the cast surrounding him throughout the trilogy. His villains and all of the great actors that have been in the movies definitely make it hard for him to shine. His role was pretty irrelevant in TDK compared to that of The Joker because that movie was more about villainy and corruption than it was about Batman. Batman Begins is great because it focuses on character development of Batman, something TDK was missing, and something that TDKR brought back and that's one of my favorite parts about Rises.

Definitely the best movie series about Batman, and definitely the best Batman.

While I do see your point as being two different style movies I think it is still extremely fair to compare overall which movie was better.
              1. They are both movies so as far as my opinion of which movie was better it's still valid to compare. Also I feel like maybe I was too hasty to hand out 10's. I feel like maybe only my favorite movie of all time should be a 10/10. So maybe neither one should be consider a 10 as you suggested.

2. They are both in the comic book genre so even if they are done differently they are still very comparable in that aspect.

3. Regardless of if Avengers and Dumb and Dumber are 2 very different genres of movie I think you can still make an overall statement of which is a better movie to watch. And far and away it's Avengers. I'm not even a big fan of Dumb and Dumber. Actually though Avengers was funnier and it's not even a comedy.

As for the deaths I do agree Talia's was very underwhelming and she got off believing she had succeeded which isn't the case.

As for Bane my buddy said the same thing you did but I had no problem with it. Batman was stabbed in a place that would make it very hard to believe he could still put up an efficient fight. Because after all he is human under the suit unlike Superman. Which is why I think Superman is the better overall superhero. But that's a different discussion for a different thread.

I had no problem with the Robin thing. And to Amari I think he is supposed to be Robin. Not a new Batman. It could've been a joke but I think it was on purpose.

However what I thought was peculiar is I don't recall a comic book movie till recently with the new Spider man and now this where so many people figured out who hero was outside the costume.

Commissioner Gordon, Robin and Catwoman all figured it out on their own without him showing them he was Bruce Wayne. And then Bane knew it when he took off the mask after the first fight. Seems like Nolan made it too easy to figure out who was behind the mask.
              sigpic

Comment

1 very big thing I had a problem with which I may not know enough about is the city location choice? I don't know much about the comics and may have missed this on the first two movies but I was always under the impression Gotham City was supposed to be the comic version of New York City?

So why was half of this movie filmed in Pittsburgh? Do they always film the movie in multiple cities to try and make Gotham look like it's own new city? I didn't care for that much.

Also didn't care for the overemphasized attention given to the Steelers. He could've just as easily shown the Giants or Jets but not only was it Heinz field but the color scheme and half the players were the Steelers? And the fans with the Terrible towels? I think that was a bit over the top. Anyways still a great movie despite these minor details. Which may always be the case anyway and I"m just not enough aware of it.

Anyways back to the Robin thing. Does anyone think that leaves any possibility for an opening for a 4th installment? Like a movie with Robin where Batman is training him? I'd really like this to be a possibility so that Bale can stay on as Batman for a Justice League movie.

Or just an entirely new reboot where the kid is the new Batman? I really hope Nolan isn't done because I loved this series. I only hope he can make Superman as good as this next summer.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
                  I'd give it a 5/10. It was mildly entertaining, but I consider it a renter. I know I won't ever be watching it again. Was definitely the worst of the three.
                  Leave now!! And never come back.

Comment

agree 100% with everything.. Bane was just a menacing beast lol.. his eyes and voice and physical presence dominated every scene he was in.

Comment

bane death just pissed me off and kept me from giving a 10
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_23 View Post
                        agree 100% with everything.. Bane was just a menacing beast lol.. his eyes and voice and physical presence dominated every scene he was in.
                        Thank you. I really don't see how people didn't feel that way about him. I expected him to just annihilate everything in his path with his bare hands including Batman. And most of Batman's attacks looked like they didn't even affect him.

Some people wanted a third fight instead of him being taken out by a cannon but I'm not sure Batman would've won a third fight especially with a stab wound. If you ask me he got lucky with the second fight. It gave no indication that he knew the mask was a breathing apparatus and therefore a weakness. It was more like he accidently knocked it loose allowing him to win the fight.

Also don't really understand why the Joker was such an arch nemesis to start with. Sure he is very clever but Bane had tons of clever traps too. And Batman can easily dispose of the Joker once he gets past weaponry and craft and just down to man to man combat. Not quite so easy with Bane.

And the voice was epic.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thank you. I really don't see how people didn't feel that way about him. I expected him to just annihilate everything in his path with his bare hands including Batman. And most of Batman's attacks looked like they didn't even affect him.

Some people wanted a third fight instead of him being taken out by a cannon but I'm not sure Batman would've won a third fight especially with a stab wound. If you ask me he got lucky with the second fight. It gave no indication that he knew the mask was a breathing apparatus and therefore a weakness. It was more like he accidently knocked it loose allowing him to win the fight.

Also don't really understand why the Joker was such an arch nemesis to start with. Sure he is very clever but Bane had tons of clever traps too. And Batman can easily dispose of the Joker once he gets past weaponry and craft and just down to man to man combat. Not quite so easy with Bane.

And the voice was epic.
                          I dont agree about the second fight Batman was kicking Bane's butt and knew exactly what he was doing and i am sure he would of won a 3rd fight that would of made the movie really epic. It was the only thing missing for me
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by canadiansbronco View Post
                            I dont agree about the second fight Batman was kicking Bane's butt and knew exactly what he was doing and i am sure he would of won a 3rd fight that would of made the movie really epic. It was the only thing missing for me
                            Don't agree with this at all. It was about an even fight and Bane had the bigger better licks. It once again looked like even though Batman was connecting that it really had no impact on Bane... until he disconnected the air supply from the mask. I remember specifically thinking here we go again, he is going to get his butt kicked and then thinking oh wow that was lucky when I heard the mask pop. And the fight drastically changed from that point.

Also as I stated before I really don't think Batman could've put up an efficient third fight with the stab wound.

And I meant to say this before but I think Batman getting saved by Catwoman was Nolan again showing that throughout the film that even Batman needs help.

I heard a lot of complaints about Batman not being in the movie enough. While I actually agree with that I think it was on purpose. The entire movie was built up on the so many cast members coming to Batmans rescue and helping him defend their city. Not sitting around and moping and excepting failure because Batman was gone.

So I think Catwoman saving him at the end was just the final straw in the movie about others coming to Batmans rescue.

And Batman still got to be the hero who saved the day at the end by doing the suicide flight out over water with the reactor.
                            sigpic

Comment

Don't agree with this at all. It was about an even fight and Bane had the bigger better licks. It once again looked like even though Batman was connecting that it really had no impact on Bane... until he disconnected the air supply from the mask. I remember specifically thinking here we go again, he is going to get his butt kicked and then thinking oh wow that was lucky when I heard the mask pop. And the fight drastically changed from that point.

Also as I stated before I really don't think Batman could've put up an efficient third fight with the stab wound.

And I meant to say this before but I think Batman getting saved by Catwoman was Nolan again showing that throughout the film that even Batman needs help.

I heard a lot of complaints about Batman not being in the movie enough. While I actually agree with that I think it was on purpose. The entire movie was built up on the so many cast members coming to Batmans rescue and helping him defend their city. Not sitting around and moping and excepting failure because Batman was gone.

So I think Catwoman saving him at the end was just the final straw in the movie about others coming to Batmans rescue.

And Batman still got to be the hero who saved the day at the end by doing the suicide flight out over water with the reactor.
                              I taught that the hit batman was connecting on where knocking bane back everytime even before he disconected the mask, every hit you could see they where hurting bane he would fall back and moan. I think a 3rd fight with catwoman helping mid fight would of been perfect. I just did not like the fact that there where no closure between them.

I agree about the rest even tho i would off liked to see more batman action
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X