No announcement yet.

Microsoft OFFICIALLY confirms XBox 720!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft OFFICIALLY confirms XBox 720!

Windows Live general manager Brian Hall mentioned the new console to The Verge in a podcast last week.

"We did this- we've had Hotmail for- and operated Hotmail for about 16 years. We obviously have Exchange, and Outlook that people use at work," Hall said. "We just decided it was time to do something new and bring the best from each of those- put them together and release it right in time for the new wave of products that we have coming out with Windows 8, with the new version of Office, with the new Windows Phone and the new Xbox."

We've heard quite a bit about Microsoft's next console, which is code-named Durango. Kotaku's sources have told us that it will ship with an integrated Kinect sensor, a Blu-Ray drive, and some sort of anti-used game technology.
    In case you needed anymore evidence of the new Xbox being around the corner, here it is.

I believe integrated Kinect and Blu Ray are all but certain, but the anti-used game mechanism perplexes me. Should Microsoft go that I route I truly believe that it will backfire on them. The Wii U supports used games, all Sony would have to do is announce that the PS4 does as well and Microsoft is toast.

At any rate, this almost confirms they'll be unveiling the 720 at E3 2013. It probably explains why the 360 hasn't been receiving any attention aside from the usual Halo-Gears-Forza trio. Discuss.

anti-used game technology?

Sure.

But only with a full satisfaction 30-day money-back guarantee on every game I buy.
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/fo...9/crm01854.htm

The first sale doctrine, codified at 17 U.S.C. § 109, provides that an individual who knowingly purchases a copy of a copyrighted work from the copyright holder receives the right to sell, display or otherwise dispose of that particular copy, notwithstanding the interests of the copyright owner. The right to distribute ends, however, once the owner has sold that particular copy. See 17 U.S.C. § 109(a) & (c). Since the first sale doctrine never protects a defendant who makes unauthorized reproductions of a copyrighted work, the first sale doctrine cannot be a successful defense in cases that allege infringing reproduction.
      Further, the privileges created by the first sale principle do not "extend to any person who has acquired possession of the copy or phonorecord from the copyright owner, by rental, lease, loan, or otherwise, without acquiring ownership of it." See 17 U.S.C. § 109(d). Most computer software is distributed through the use of licensing agreements. Under this distribution system, the copyright holder remains the "owner" of all distributed copies. For this reason, alleged infringers should not be able to establish that any copies of these works have been the subject of a first sale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

"Some software and digital content publishers claim in their End User License Agreements (EULA) that their software or content is licensed, not sold, and thus the first sale doctrine does not apply to their works.

These publishers have had some success in contracting around first sale doctrine through various clickwrap, shrink wrap, and other license agreements. For example, if you buy MP3 songs from Amazon.com, the MP3 files are merely licensed to you and hence you may not be able to resell those MP3 files.

However, MP3 songs bought through iTunes store may be characterized as "sales" because of Apple's language in its EULA and hence they maybe resell-able, if other requirements of first sale doctrine are met.

Courts have struggled and taken dramatically different approaches to sort out when only a license was granted to the end user as compared to ownership. Most of these cases involved software-licensing agreements. In general, courts look beneath the surface of the agreements to conclude whether the agreements create licensing relationship or if they amount to, in substance, sales subject to first sale doctrine under §109(a).

Thus, specifying that the agreement grants only a "license" is necessary to create the licensing relationship, but not sufficient. Other terms of the agreement should be consistent with such a licensing relationship."
      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Well Xbox, it's been fun.

I think I'll just stick with my 360 until I get out of college and decide I need a new platform. Then I'll just get the PS4.

No used games? Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie24 View Post
          Well Xbox, it's been fun.

I think I'll just stick with my 360 until I get out of college and decide I need a new platform. Then I'll just get the PS4.

No used games? Seriously?
          No one will buy it. Game over MS.
          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Ps > Xbox

No used games just makes it a wider gap.

Comment

I wish Nintendo would just come out with a real console.

Man the WiiU looks terrible. Nintendo has all the good exclusives though

Comment

I highly doubt they'll add anything to stop used games. That'd just be dumb, and bad marketing.

The Blu-Ray and Kinect is just common sense. You have to have a Blu-Ray player, and a lot of new xbox games will have kinect features. It'd be a cheese move to have the Kinect separate.

I'll be getting it the day it release, and I'll be playing my 360 until it stops working. No problem.
                sigpic
                Adopted Broncos:
                EmmanuelSanders

Comment

That is just a horrible, horrible business decision.
                  sigpic
                  - ★ -
                  2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
                    I highly doubt they'll add anything to stop used games. That'd just be dumb, and bad marketing.

The Blu-Ray and Kinect is just common sense. You have to have a Blu-Ray player, and a lot of new xbox games will have kinect features. It'd be a cheese move to have the Kinect separate.

I'll be getting it the day it release, and I'll be playing my 360 until it stops working. No problem.
                    I highly doubted that we would've had to pay just to play online on our game console. It's no secret that Micro$oft will do anything to maximize their profit.

The idea of blocking used games has a lot of developers hungry to throw their support out there for the company who tries it. Hell, even Crytek said blocking used games "would be awesome". I can definitely see Microshaft taking a chance like that if they get in good with the third parties.

Saying that, I don't think Microsoft will block used games. They very well could be experimenting with the technology to go behind it, though.

I'd be more worried about the hidden fees (like part of your $10 for XBL gold is going to Activision, which I bet most of you didn't know) and possible contract implementations from Microsoft.

If everything checks out I'll be getting a PS4 and 720 at launch. I've already decided to skip the Wii U.

Comment

I didn't read the article but someone wanna summarize if it was in the article why no used games?

That's a bad decision they want us to pay 60+ dollars a pop for a game everytime we do buy one? Sorry i was pro ms but now i guess ill stick with my 360 till it lights on fire

Comment

i seriously doubt that the anti used game tech is all you guys are making it sound like, thatd be suicide not only for microsoft but game companies as well.

people are not going to go drop 60 bucks on a throw away game no trade in no selling to a friend no selling to a stranger, if you dont put out a great replayable game nobody is going to buy it, not to mention that i fully expect game prices to be 75 bucks by the time these next gen consoles come out
                        sigpic
                        -------

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                          I highly doubted that we would've had to pay just to play online on our game console. It's no secret that Micro$oft will do anything to maximize their profit.

The idea of blocking used games has a lot of developers hungry to throw their support out there for the company who tries it. Hell, even Crytek said blocking used games "would be awesome". I can definitely see Microshaft taking a chance like that if they get in good with the third parties.

Saying that, I don't think Microsoft will block used games. They very well could be experimenting with the technology to go behind it, though.

I'd be more worried about the hidden fees (like part of your $10 for XBL gold is going to Activision, which I bet most of you didn't know) and possible contract implementations from Microsoft.

If everything checks out I'll be getting a PS4 and 720 at launch. I've already decided to skip the Wii U.
                          Well it's no surprise devs like the idea, they get more money out of it. Crytek lost a lot of money off Crysis 2 because of pirating. So not a surprise you named them.

I know about them giving money to Activision, I don't care. As long as it doesn't cast me an arm and a leg, then I'm fine with it. There is actually rumors circling around that Microsoft might by Activision or a majority share in them.
                          sigpic
                          Adopted Broncos:
                          EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by captainbronco View Post
                            I didn't read the article but someone wanna summarize if it was in the article why no used games?

That's a bad decision they want us to pay 60+ dollars a pop for a game everytime we do buy one? Sorry i was pro ms but now i guess ill stick with my 360 till it lights on fire
                            Come on, think. If Microshaft blocks used games developers wouldn't waste time supporting their system.

Why?

Simple. The developers would be able to maximize their profit if all consumers had no choice but to buy new. Developers make NOTHING from used game sales, so if consumers are put into a position where you either pay the $60 or get lost, developers would be able to make more off their product.

Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if companies put out good games. Thinking you can crap out a mediocre game with a 4 hour campaign and receive Skyrim/CoD sales is beyond ignorant.

Comment

Wouldn't this also put GameStop out of business? Or actually I mean significantly decrease their sales? Since a majority of their games are Xbox games and used at that. I would imagine they would sue over this. Unless the system flops and users stick to 360.

And to the user that said PS3>Xbox without the anti used games. I have all three systems and it's not even close. Xbox blows away play station. I wouldn't even own a PS3 if not for MLB the show. Sure the Internet is free but the online play you get from 360 is worth paying for. Mayb not $60 but it's worth money. It's better than PSN.

That being said if they implement anti used games I will be buying PS4 and not 720. I mostly buy brand new games but always like the ability to trade in or sell games or buy cheaper at will.

And would this mean I can't even take a game to my buddies house to play on his system? That's incredibly dumb if we don't each want to pay $60-$75 for a game.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X