The Experience's Hip-Hop Album Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Experience View Post

First off, I would like to thank canadiansbronco for recommending I review this album. Just so everyone knows I do take requests, you can make a request in this thread, PM or CP me (I prefer that one ). Anyway, Classified is a canadian born MC who is making his 15th studio release with this self titled album. The first thing that struck me with this was that it is a self-titled album, on his 15th release which I found quite odd and out of the norm. But I think that truly is a way to describe Classified as an MC. Though I have certainly heard of Classified, this is the first time for me hearing a complete project from him, so I didn't quite know what to expect from this. Here we go, 1st review of 2013.

1. Intro - A nice about minute long instrumental.

2. 3 Foot Tall - First thing I loved about this track, was the beat. Classified sounded fantastic on this beat and though the chorus was a little corny I found myself singing along.

3. That's What I Do - Once again, the beat is awesome and it really fits perfect with his flow. This is kind of a biographical tale. He even sings a bit on this track.

4. Inner Ninja (ft. David Myles) - He completely switches up the style with this. I just didn't get this track, it felt almost like a track I would play for a 5 year old. His raps are decent on this track but the production combined with the corny hook just really didn't do it for me.

5. Anything Goes (ft. Saukrates & Skratch Bastid) - When I got to this track, I immediately got excited because I saw Saukrates on the hook. Him and Block McCloud are too of my favorite hook men. Classified and Skratch Bastid put out some good verses on this track, but Saukrates made the song with a bomb hook.

6. I Only Say It Cause It's True (ft. Raekwon & Kuniva) - I liked the beat for this track. But if i'm being completely honest, Classified was completely outshined on this track by Raekwon and Kuniva especially Rae who delivered probably delivered the best verse on the album.

7. Growing Pains - Probably my favorite track on the album. Real introspective track about how he must change many of his views on life because he is a father now. The production is smooth and Class sings a pretty catchy hook.

8. Familiar (ft. Mike Boyd & DJ Iv) - A little bit more of an electronic sound to the track. The verses are nice on this.

9. Hi-Deas - Beatiful production on this track, sounds great with the flow that he chooses. He covers multiple different topics.

10. Pay Day - He channels the same type of sound from the beginning of the album. And while his verses were good on this track, I just found the beat and the chorus pretty corny.

11. New School Old School (ft. Kayo) - Tough beat. Kayo and Class go back and forth. I love it when collab songs do this.

12. Wicked - Really enjoyed this track also. The beat was strong and Class's flow was awesome.

13. Look Up (Signs) (ft. Kardinal Offishal & Manchild) - Love the beat here and Kardinal washes the other 2 on this track. Always liked him and want to hear more from him after he ripped this track.

OVERVIEW: This was a good album. Like I said, this is the first time hearing a full length Classified project. I like the guy, he has some great moments. I think he is a good not great rapper. He was a little inconsistent on this album for me. I really enjoyed his deep and introspective tracks. I feel those are the type of songs he really shines on. I liked his choices for features on this as well. Raekwon and Kardinal Offishall had 2 amazing verses on this album. All in all this was a good project, enjoyed it quite a bit.

GRADE: 7.0/10
    I think his second verse in Wicked is AWESOME ! My favorite tracks are 3 foot tall, old school, what i do, wicked and hi deas but cant pick a number 1 the whole album is awesome.

The one thing i dont understand is your grade...From reading the review for each tracks you loved them all except Inner ninja, I taught you would give it at least an 8, yet you gave it a 7.

Also about the bolded part you have some catching up to do
    sigpic

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

Comment

Originally posted by canadiansbronco View Post
      I think his second verse in Wicked is AWESOME ! My favorite tracks are 3 foot tall, old school, what i do, wicked and hi deas but cant pick a number 1 the whole album is awesome.

The one thing i dont understand is your grade...From reading the review for each tracks you loved them all except Inner ninja, I taught you would give it at least an 8, yet you gave it a 7.

Also about the bolded part you have some catching up to do
      Well, in order for me to give this a higher grade it has to really reach me you know. While I liked the album there was still a few flaws (some of the production, cornyness was a problem). When I think of great albums I think of albums lik Fantastic Damage, GKMC, The 7 Day Theory, etc. Everytime I listen to those albums I get something new from it, that is what make them great. I listen to every album I review at least 7-10 times. I feel like I have gotten all I can get out of this album. It is a solid hip hop album.

I definitely listen to more from him. What is his best release?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Experience View Post
        Well, in order for me to give this a higher grade it has to really reach me you know. While I liked the album there was still a few flaws (some of the production, cornyness was a problem). When I think of great albums I think of albums lik Fantastic Damage, GKMC, The 7 Day Theory, etc. Everytime I listen to those albums I get something new from it, that is what make them great. I listen to every album I review at least 7-10 times. I feel like I have gotten all I can get out of this album. It is a solid hip hop album.

I definitely listen to more from him. What is his best release?
        I see reviews are mostly opinion antway so as long as you are in the same range means you did a good job, eich you did :thumb:

Honnestly i couldn't really give you my favorite cuz i really like te guy and discovered him a couple years ago so i still haven't listned to all of it butmy top 3 albums of his would be in no order: -

Handshake and middle finger ( 2011)

Classified(2013)
        Self explanatory( 2009)

and outside looking in would be boycotin the industry and hitch hiking music

He is definetly worth checking out, cant post more than 1 vids but these would some of the best form thiese albums
        Last edited by canadiansbronco; 01-28-2013, 11:27 PM.
        sigpic

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

Comment

another great song by him
          sigpic

Comment

ALBUM REVIEW: Joe Budden ~ No Love Lost

Joe Budden is a New Jersey MC who is probably best known by mainstream listeners as the guy who did the hit song "Pump It Up" nearly a decade ago. He released his self titled debut album in 2003, an album which I think is very underrated and under appreciated. After his falling out with Jay-Z and Def Jam records, Joe took to the underground to put his talents on display. He released the Mood Muzik mixtape series, which I believe is the greatest mixtape series of all time. He then released his 2nd studio album entitled "Padded Room" which happens to be one of my all time favorite hip hop albums that sits right up there with The Don Killuminati 7 Day Theory, Fantastic Damage and Funcrusher Plus in my all time favorites. Joe has also joined the hip hop supergroup Slaughterhouse and there classic self titled debut followed by their major label debut "Welcome To Our House" (which was very disappointing), Joe is starting to get a little more mainstream recognition. "No Love Lost" is Joe's 3rd studio album, and when I saw the tracklist I immediately flipped out. You can definitely tell this album has more of a mainstream feel to it. So therefore my expectations were pretty low for this.

1. Top of The World (ft. Kirko Bangz) - Can see this getting plays in clubs. The beat is cool and Joe flows nice on this. Kirko Bangz sounds exactly like Drake on the hook, and I mean EXACTLY LIKE DRAKE.

2. Put It Down (ft. Tank & Lil' Wayne) - I immediately shook my head when I saw that one of my favorite artists doing a song with Wayne. However, this track is decent. Joe is good as always, Tank adds a nice vocal and this is the best Wayne verse I have heard in a while.

3. NBA (ft. Wiz Khalifa & French Montana) - First track I really didn't like. Hook was corny, Joe's verse was ok, Wiz is mediocre and French is just awful.

4. You and I (ft. Emanny) - First look at the Joe Budden that I love to hear. The deep introspective Joe Budden is incredible especially when he touches on relationships. I love Emanny's voice and this track is amazing.

5. Castles - The vibe keeps on going. Joe kills this song.

6. All In My Head (ft. Royce Da 5'9 & Kobe) - The deep wary vibe goes on, Joe is awesome again. Kobe adds a nice hook, Royce comes in with a great verse.

7. Skeletons (ft. Joell Ortiz & Crooked I) - The hook is simple, but it sounds good on the overall vibe. Joell and Crooked kill there verses and Joe remains consistent.

8. Ghetto Burbs (ft. Emanny) - Joe puts his story telling hat on for this one, which is underrated (listen to "Pray for Me"). This is another great track.

9. Last Day (ft. Lloyd Banks & Juicy J) - Don't care for this track, just kinda boring.

10. Switch Positions (ft. Omarion) - Might be the dumbest song I have heard from Joe Budden. Omarion adds nothing.

11. Tell Him Something (ft. SLV) - SLV is a collaborative duo consisting of Emanny and Joe Budden, with Joe focusing more on singing than rapping. Emanny's higher pitch voice paired with Joe's raspy deep voice sound very good in unison. That said this isn't my favorite track from them.

12. Runaway - The album gets back on track with a good song here. The guitar laced beat sounds good with Joe providing more deep content.

13. My Time - Another solid, introspective track.

14. Outro - The LP ends on a high note. Powerful song.

OVERVIEW: This exceeded my expectations greatly, however the album was inconsistent. I feel that Joe is a master of making mainstream tracks and making it dope lyrically. I found that to be true with this album. Some of the tracks I thought I would hate I actually liked. But some of the songs on here were very unnecessary. But the highs were very high, where the lows were low but not horrible. This isn't the best project from Joe, actually probably his worst. But it is still a very solid album with some gems.

FINAL GRADE: 7.2/10
            sigpic

Comment

Yo Experience, this is definitely too mainstream but could you do a review on Lil Wayne's IANAHB II album that dropped recently?

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                Yo Experience, this is definitely too mainstream but could you do a review on Lil Wayne's IANAHB II album that dropped recently?
                Yeah I will, even though I really don't want to hahahaha
                sigpic

Comment

Been a while, lot of things going on in my life, I have been busy.

Gonna get back to reviewing.
                  sigpic

Comment

ALBUM REVIEW: Lil' Wayne - I Am Not A Human Being II

So, lets get this out of the way. I hate Lil' Wayne, never liked him, probably never will. And it's not because I have never given him a chance. I have listened to all of his albums, and hated them all. He represents everything wrong with hip hop today. Generic beats, awful lyrics and no substance. So I got a ton of requests on this so I feel like I have to do it. I wouldn't be much of an album reviewer if I only reviewed stuff I like. So here we go (sigh).

1. IANAHB - This was actually pretty cool..... At the beginning, dope Piano verse. Then Wayne comes in and continues with the same corny stupid punchlines. Could have had something here....

2. Curtains - Starts off with Wayne in autotune, generic beat, horrible lyrics. Ugh

3. Days & Days (ft. 2 Chainz) - Actually didn't mind this track, 2 Chainz always entertains me so it hat that going for it.

4. Gunwalk (ft. Gudda Gudda) - Recycled hook gets annoying quick. Wayne's voice is just very annoying. Gudda was ok, beat was boring and generic.

5. No Worries - More autotune. Cmon Man! Really Wayne? You have run all out of ideas you are continuing to do something that was popular 5 years ago? Pathetic. His voice is annoying as hell. Beat literally sounds the same to me as Gunwalk

6. Back To You - Wayne singing? Just horrible. Dude stop with the Rock Music. You can't sing, and you suck at playing the damn Guitar. Pathetic.

7. Trigger Finger (ft. Soulja Boy) - Beat changes up, Wayne's flow isn't bad. But the lyrics are stupid and corny, as usual. And Soulja Boy is on it.....

8. Beat The S**t (ft. Gunplay) - Wayne goes autotune again to begin the track talking about how he will knock the snow off of your snowcone or something stupid like that. The only decent thing about this was Gunplay's verse was pretty nice.

9. Rich As F*** (ft. 2 Chainz) - Wayne can't stay on a topic for more than 2 bars, another thing that is really annoying. Talking about how much richer they are than everyone else. Nice job Wayne.... 2 Chainz didn't even bring anything to the track.

10. Trippy - Don't know what the hell Wayne is talking about on this track. Yawn.....

11. Love Me (ft. Drake & Future) - Drake and Future combine for the hook, and it is actually pretty catchy. But Wayne is just blah on his verses plus more autotune.

12. God Bless Amerikka - The beat for this is actually nice. Wayne's flow however is boring and annoying, no substance and makes no sense on his verses. Seems to be a pattern.

13. Wowzerz - I could just tell from the name of the track that I would hate this song. Soulja Boy's beat is annoying and Wayne just horrible.

14. Hello - Here we go with another rock song. Ugh, Wayne you have already ruined one genre of music, don't do it to another. Wayne speeds up his flow but as a whole the song is horrible.

15. Lay It Down (ft. Nicki Minaj & Corey Gunz) - Annoying beat, horrible Wayne verse. Nicki never fails to be annoying and awful. Corey Gunz at least has a decent verse with good wordplay.

16. Hot Revolver - Another rock beat, Wayne singing on autotune and it still sounds bad, the hook is so beyond stupid and corny it is unbelievable.

17. My Homies Still (ft. Big Sean) - 1st single off this album. Big Sean is a horrible rapper. The beat is annoying, the hook is annoying and Wayne is annoying. The only good thing about this song is it is the last track on this trainwreck.

OVERVIEW:

Pretty much sums this up. Horrible album. I really wish people would stop giving this untalented hack money. I am never reviewing another Wayne album again, so don't ask. I would rather jump off a cliff than listen to another Wayne album.

FINAL GRADE: 0.5/10
                    sigpic

Comment

MIXTAPE REVIEW: Big K.R.I.T. - King Remembered In Time

As most of you know, I am a huge Krit fan. Krit Wuz Here, Return of Forever and 4evanaday were 3 amazing mixtape releases by the Mississippi rapper/producer. Even his debut album Live From The Underground was a very good album, but not quite on par with his mixtapes. The thing that really separates Krit from most other southern MCs is that he is very lyrical and conscious. And though he does do a lot of "typical" Southern Rap songs he always does it with a unique sound. He is super creative both in his production and his lyricism. So as always, I was really excited for this mixtape.

1. Purpose - Track starts off with a cool guitar solo, then mellows out. Krit comes in and talks about himself kind of taking over as the new King of the south and the king of the future. He wants to change the national perception of southern hip hop.

2. Shine On (ft. Bun B) - Smooth track. Production is smooth, Krit is smooth and then Bun comes in with a really nice verse.

3. Talkin' Bout Nothin' - Really cool beat and Krit puts a sick flow on display. His wordplay is really nice on this track.

4. King Without A Crown - Krit ups the tempo again here with a track where he just sounds really hungry. The hook is real catchy and the beat is entertaining.

5. REM - Krit slows it down. The piano on the beat sounds great. Krit gets real deep. He talks about how he plans to maintain his success without selling out.

6. Meditate - Krit sings a bit on this track, it sounds good with some real atmospheric production backed by a guitar. Krit keeps his deep theme going.

7. Serve This Royalty - A Jazzy beat keeps the mellow theme going. Krit slows his flow down and talks about what hip hop has become today. How it is all about money and chains.

8. Good 2getha (ft. Ashton Jones) - A love song. Talking about how he and his girl can rule together.

9. Last Week (ft. Future) - Future is annoying, I don't really understand his purpose. Another autotune rapper I guess. This is just a snippet, so I really don't get why it is on here.

10. My Trunk (ft. Trinidad James) - The beat is really cool, Krit sounds good. But don't love the song, not a fan of Trinidad either on this.

11. How U love (ft. Big Sant ) - The beat is nice again. The hook is a little recycled and repetitive. Not really feeling this one.

12. Only One (ft. Wiz Khalifa & Smoke DZA) - The beat is a little boring. Never been a fan of Wiz so I don't think he brought much to this song. Smoke DZA was ok, but this song just was nothing special.

13. Banana Clip Theory - Great beat. Krit sings again and it sounds really smooth. His flow is really nice on this. He gets deep about guns and the people who use them for good and evil. Great track.

14. Life Is A Gamble (BJ The Chicago Kid) - BJ comes in with a really nice hook. Krit really maintains deep lyricism. Another great track.

15. *** - The beat for this is interesting because it doesn't really leave anything for Krit to ride his flow on, so Krit doesn't sound on beat. But this still sounds great.

16. Bigger Picture - Really smooth production with a nice hook. Krit really sounds great on this again. Great track.

17. Multi Till The Sun Die - Great way to cap off the tape. He talks about why he does what he does and what he has been through and what he has had to sacrifice to get where he is today. My favorite track on the album.

OVERVIEW: Krit delivers yet again. Great mixtape, not sure I like it as much as his previous 3 tapes. The middle of the tape hits a bit of a lull of tracks I didn't really care for. But the end of this tape is amazing starting with Banana clip theory. Some of the best tracks I have ever heard from Krit came at the end of this mixtape. Like always, this left me wanting more from Krit and wondering what he is gonna do next.

FINAL GRADE: 8.4/10
                      sigpic

Comment

"Born Sinner" review, please!

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Yeezus review please

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie24 View Post
                            Yeezus review please
                            It's getting so much hate but I didn't think it was that bad. Arrogant and self indulged yes... But then again most people like him are anyways.

Comment

I wrote a review of Yeezus a couple weeks ago. I gave it a B. Good, but lyrically pretty bad and immature other than a couple of the songs. A couple songs are pretty lackluster too. It's just a really primal, aggressive, stripped down kind of sound than what he usually does.

"Bound 2" is the best song on it though.

Comment

ALBUM REVIEW: J. Cole - Born Sinner

This is the 2nd official studio album for Carolina rapper J. Cole under Jay-Z's Rocnation. His first album, Cole World: A Sideline Story was an album that pleasantly surprised me in 2011. It surprised me because anytime an MC has success on an underground level, then signs a contract with a major label their debut album is likely disappointing. That album was not. It had some very good tracks. The only real beef I had with it was the lack of flow and cohesiveness of the LP. It seemed all over the place in that regard. I have been a J. Cole fan for a few years now, ever since I heard his mixtape "The Warmup". He also released a fantastic mixtape entitled "Friday Night Lights". J. Cole is known as one of the rising stars on the mainstream scene due to his lyricism, creativity and the fact that he does most of his own production.

1. Villuminati - The track starts off with beautiful strings that transform into a tough beat cluttered with Biggie samples (Juicy). J. Cole sounds hungry and his flow is on point. He does however drop the f word (not the 4 letter one) which really doesn't have a place in this type of song IMO. But overall this track was pretty sick.

2. LAnd Of The Snakes - Love the beat for this track. Cole sounds good on this too. His flow on this as well as Villuminati reminds me a lot of Kendrick Lamar.

3. Power Trip (ft. Miguel) - This is the first single for this album. It is the first love song of the LP. It compares very similar to his last album song with Trey Songz. The beat is cool, but I don't really think it works with this particular song. Miguel really delivers a fantastic hook for this.

4. Trouble - J. Cole sings on this track as well. The beat is very nice. Cole switches up his flow and I really like this for him.

5. Runaway - The beat is great again. Cole shows off his storytelling ability on this track. He shows off some of his more conscious and provocative lyricism.

6. She Knows - The beat for this is pretty spectacular. The track kind of god off to a wack start, but once the true beat came in and Cole came in with the hook it got much better. While the hook is repetitive it works for the beat.

7. Rich N****z - Cole gets really personal on this track. Talking about how tough it is growing up poor. Then in the 2nd verse he speaks from the perspective of the rich man who succeeded after growing up poor. This is my favorite track so far. It follows the same formula of Lost Ones from his first album which is my favorite Cole song.

8. Forbidden Fruit (ft. Kendrick Lamar) - This song was cool. But Kendrick was only on the hook. I really wanted a verse. Disappointing.

9. Chaining Day - This track kind of bored me. The beat was nothing special.

10. Crooked Smile (ft. TLC) - The beat was good, and the hook sounded fresh. Cole was solid. This beat had a very early Kanye feel to it.

11. Let Nas Down - A cool concept track on what it was like for him to meet his idol Nas.

12. Born Sinner (ft. James Fauntleroy) - The beat was really nice. Cole sounds great and he gets real personal. The hook sounds good with this. Really enjoyed this one

OVERVIEW: I enjoyed this album. I think I like it better than his last one actually. The album was a little darker. There were some ok tracks and some great tracks. My biggest problem on this album is my same problem with his last album. It is not very cohesive. The tracks are pretty random and there is not really a theme to it. This is a problem for J. Cole moving forward. I really enjoyed the production on this. It was very solid and sound. That is where Cole really shines in my opinion. His rapping on this is also very solid. Another thing I really appreciated was the lack of features on this compared to Cole World. I feel like we got much more of J. Cole on this album, which is always good. It really allowed him to shine as a solo artist without the crutch of a hot feature (even though the Kendrick feature on this was very disappointing). This was a good album, I really am looking forward to what he does next (heard he is doing a collab album with Kendrick).

FINAL GRADE: 7.3/10
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X