Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts - Turtle Beach Gaming Headsets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts - Turtle Beach Gaming Headsets?

What are everyone's thoughts on Turtle Beach headsets?

Amazon had the Px5 for $149 today but I missed the deal, I've been looking at the Px3's but I'm always hesitant to buy them ... I play games, but I just don't know if I'm serious enough to drop $100 on a headset ... The only reason I would is because I play late at night, when the kids and wife are sleeping, it would be nice to be able to turn up the sound on the headset and not worry about waking them up ... Right now I play with TV Volume and a simple Blue Tooth mic.

Anyone have any? Wireless or Wired? what are your thoughts?

Is there another brand you'd recommend over Turtle Beach? why?

:thumb:
    sigpic

ive got the turtle beach x12s, they work for when i talk and play game sound

i think a lot of stores have them for like 30-40 bucks today. i just cant jusitfy 100+ on a headset
    sigpic
    -------

Comment

I bought the triton ax180s and they are beyond amazing for the price.

Comment

I had the Turtle Beach PX21 and it was a really good headset, although anything by Turtle Beach isnt very sturdy and they are pretty cheaply made and break really easily. I was so fed up with all the wires and cords and just the overall quality of the headset that I went out and bought the official Sony PS3 wireless headset. It's amazing, super light, super comfortable and it was only 99.99, it's definitely the cheapest wireless headset out there. Only problem is if you have a 360 it won't work.

But I wouldn't recommend buying anything from Turtle Beach. The headsets work really well but they also break easily.

Comment

I have Beaches x11s

It is wired, but the cord is extremely long and I can go all the way to my garage fridge from my Xbox.

Wireless are really nice too though, my friend just got a pair.

The sound quality is excellent, and since I also use HDMI I have my Beaches plugged into the headphone jack on my TV so all the game volume comes soley from the headphones.

Mine are also pretty versatile, I can plug the beaches up to my computer or phone and listen to music. The mic works for calls.

They are very comfortable and feel so much nicer than the crappy pair of skull candies I own.

But I didn't pay for my pair, my friend gave them to me when he got his new wireless pair.

They are nice, but I am not one to pay 100+ dollars for a headset.

Also if you use an HDMI, there is a good chance you will have to buy another part in order to use the headset.
          Denver Broncos GM
          Originally posted by Mosk
          Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

draftnik - you say if I use HDMI, that I might need to buy another part to use the headphones? Do you mean HDMI from the PS3 to the TV .... I'm not familiar with how these headsets hook up so I guess I don't understand how the video cable would have anything to do with how the headset hooks up.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jermz79 View Post
              draftnik - you say if I use HDMI, that I might need to buy another part to use the headphones? Do you mean HDMI from the PS3 to the TV .... I'm not familiar with how these headsets hook up so I guess I don't understand how the video cable would have anything to do with how the headset hooks up.
              The headsets hook up with AV jacks, if you use HDMI you need to buy another part to connect game volume to the headsets or else it is just a mic. I don't have the part so I'm not sure what its called.
              Denver Broncos GM
              Originally posted by Mosk
              Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Originally posted by THEdraftnik View Post
                The headsets hook up with AV jacks, if you use HDMI you need to buy another part to connect game volume to the headsets or else it is just a mic. I don't have the part so I'm not sure what its called.
                Thank you!!! That's interesting .... in today's world you think they would solve that issue, I'm not sure how many people use AV Jacks anymore. Heck I don't even think I have my PS3 AV Jacks!!

On another note, I just checked out the Official PS3 Wireless headsets that dandaman23 posted about and they look pretty decent, they get great reviews for gaming and for $99 wireless that's not too bad. Any of the 3rd party headsets that are wireless are over the $100 mark at this point and I'm not too big on having cords laying around every where.

anyone else have any reviews/input etc ... any brand as long as compatible with PS3
                sigpic

Comment

Thank you!!! That's interesting .... in today's world you think they would solve that issue, I'm not sure how many people use AV Jacks anymore. Heck I don't even think I have my PS3 AV Jacks!!

On another note, I just checked out the Official PS3 Wireless headsets that dandaman23 posted about and they look pretty decent, they get great reviews for gaming and for $99 wireless that's not too bad. Any of the 3rd party headsets that are wireless are over the $100 mark at this point and I'm not too big on having cords laying around every where.

anyone else have any reviews/input etc ... any brand as long as compatible with PS3
                  Another good thing about the PS3 headset is its so easy to set up, you just plug a piece into one of the USB outlets and it automatically syncs up with your headset when you turn it on. No cords or wires or AV jacks. You might want to get an extended charging cord though, so you can use them while they charge. They get pretty decent battery life too. I'd say about 5-6 hours on a full charge.

Comment

I had a pair of Turtle Beach X11s back in the day which were... alright. After a while I replaced them with a pair of Tritton AX 720 7.1s and they're awesome - couldn't play without 'em now. The sound is immense, build quality is great (I've had mine for quite a long time now and they still working perfectly, which is impressive considering that I normally burn through headphones pretty quick), and they're very comfortable to wear. Pricy, though.

sigpic
                    - ★ -
                    2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

I play games, but I just don't know if I'm serious enough to drop $100 on a headset ... The only reason I would is because I play late at night, when the kids and wife are sleeping, it would be nice to be able to turn up the sound on the headset and not worry about waking them up
                      I was in an extremely similar situation except I have no kids and my wife is a night nurse who I just didn't want to wake up.

I will say this right off the bat, my experience is with headset for computers NOT consoles. Regardless, there are crossovers.

First things first, if games are your particular form of escapism it's worth laying down $100 for a good headset (You can always use them for movies, music, skype, even voice recognition software.). Second, if you enter that price range make darn sure the audio goes through some kind of "sound card" otherwise the gear may be different between a $30 and a $100 headset but the produced sound will be similar (do consoles have them on the inside somewhere? Anyone know for sure?).

When I was doing my research a couple of months ago Turtle Beach was coming in at "okay" in a word. If I were to recommend a brand it would be Sennheiser. I think they made some console headsets not too long ago as well.

Anyone have any? Wireless or Wired? what are your thoughts?

Is there another brand you'd recommend over Turtle Beach? why?
                      As someone who plays Team Fortress 2 to help relieve stress, wireless is cute but there is lag and power issues to keep in mind and that can get in the way of your "me" time. Wired tends to be cheaper and more reliable, however my wife is not the most careful person in the world and has been tripped up in the cord twice to my knowledge, with kids that could be a deal breaker.

I myself bought a Sennheiser HD 585 for about for $180 and somehow I don't regret it those things sound amazing. It takes any game to a new level but you NEED a soundcard. I don't know what consoles do for that I'm sure there is some plastic brick towards the usb end that has a plastic brick or something that could house one.

Don't take my word for it, this is the article that put me over the top in shelling out for good headphones.

For the record if you want as little sound to escape as possible you want a "closed" design. This keeps the sound in an other sounds out but it kinda feels like pressurizing your ears. You get accustomed to it but it will always feel a bit off, and the sound will always seem the tiniest bit off too. "Open" designs may sound better but put out noise and other noises can get in. With kids this might be a perk.

I hope I've been of help. It's not an easy decision to make.
                      Last edited by Puddleglum; 12-02-2012, 02:13 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

I have a pair of Triton AX120's. Love them things, only cost me about $50 maybe $60 bucks. Everything you need, you get in the box. It has HDMI capability and you can use it SDTV.

I think Turtle Beaches are overrated. My friends use them, they seem to always be having issues with them. They are also very popular with those who play Call Of Duty because they wanna hear foot steps. You can hear foot steps with Triton as well, and you can control chat volume and Game volume. You can cut your TV all the way down if you trying to be silent, then turn the game volume on the headset as high as you please.

Triton's have better bass, overall sound. Turtle Beaches I'd actually say are more durable. Madcat for some reason make their products fragile. Triton is a Mad cat product, they don't break easily...but they can't take much punishment.
                        sigpic
                        Adopted Broncos:
                        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by Puddleglum View Post
                          Second, if you enter that price range make darn sure the audio goes through some kind of "sound card" otherwise the gear may be different between a $30 and a $100 headset but the produced sound will be similar (do consoles have them on the inside somewhere? Anyone know for sure?)
                          The good headsets come with a separate mixamp. The low-end ones have 'em built-in somewhere in the headset or volume control thing.
                          sigpic
                          - ★ -
                          2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

Originally posted by Sync View Post
                            The good headsets come with a separate mixamp. The low-end ones have 'em built-in somewhere in the headset or volume control thing.
                            Got it, thanks for educating me.
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the information guys ... I think I've decided to go with the standard Sony brand that was originally suggested from dandaman. Price wise they are just about right, wireless, get good reviews and they are plug and play with my PS3 so no need to buy any extra stuff.

I've read alot of reviews on Turtle Beaches now and everything points the same ... they break easily, I'd be SUPER pissed if I spent $100 and they broke a few months later.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X