Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasons of TV on DVD and how they may change...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasons of TV on DVD and how they may change...

....the way these shows are made.

I have several TV shows on DVD. My views of these shows have changed somewhat because of the manner in which I view them. On TV, if you were watching, you would see these shows typically once a week. But now that many of these shows are on DVD, you can knock out an entire season in relativly short period of time if you want to. (I have 4 days off a week) This trend might encourage studios to make shows that are less episodic and more arc driven. Of all the shows that I have on DVD, CSI is the worst one to watch. It is the same damn show, week in and wek out with hardly any character developement or story arcs of any kind. Watching that show on DVD has kinda left me a distaste for it. The other shows I have like Buffy, DS9 and Babylon 5 have given me more of an appreciation for those shows. Once you can view a whole season in a short period of time you can kinda see the big picture a little easier. You can get all the little jokes and other things that they weaved throughout the series. It's more like reading a book I guess. I just don't get that feeling at all when watching a show like CSI.

So back to my question. Will watching TV shows in this manner cause studios/writers/hollywood to make grander more epic type shows? Knowing that some of these people are gonna buy it on DVD and watch them this way?

I don't know if I'm getting my point across. Maybe some of you that have TV shows on DVD know what I'm talking about.

Although I havent bought any series on DVD, I can see what you are saying - but I really don't see it changing all that much due to the types of shows they are - Certain shows like CSI appeal to me (and probably many others) because of the lack of personal character involvement, so to speak - due to my limited TV time, I dont get into certain shows like say Desperate Housewives, (bad example maybe) where you have to watch every week to be able to follow/enjoy it - DVD's sales are a plus, an extra on top of what the series makes but they still have to make them for the TV viewing audience not the DVD audience because thats their main forum

Comment

I don't mind it much either. I enjoy CSI. It is simply a mystery to be solved. None of the episodes (most of the time) relate to each other and thus, no climatic build up. Sometimes it is nice to just sit down and enjoy a one hour episode.
      Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

Originally posted by orangenblue420
        Although I havent bought any series on DVD, I can see what you are saying - but I really don't see it changing all that much due to the types of shows they are - Certain shows like CSI appeal to me (and probably many others) because of the lack of personal character involvement, so to speak - due to my limited TV time, I dont get into certain shows like say Desperate Housewives, (bad example maybe) where you have to watch every week to be able to follow/enjoy it - DVD's sales are a plus, an extra on top of what the series makes but they still have to make them for the TV viewing audience not the DVD audience because thats their main forum

CSI is so popular because it's SO very episodic. You can miss 10 episodes or even an entire season and not be lost when you watch it again. Now this is obviously great for the causal viewer. I won't dispute that. But if your into shows that have long engaging story lines that go on for seasons and characters that actually grow and develope over the time then CSI might not be your cup of tea.

I really liked CSI, just like everyone else seems to. That's why I bought the first three seasons on DVD. But after watching it on DVD, I kinda changed my tune a little.

I also realise that the TV viewing audience is the main forum for watching these shows obviously. But there's no denying the power that DVD has brought to these shows. TV on DVD is skyrocketing to enormous levels. Alot of people are buying these things. It's not just nerds like me. In fact, some are buying the shows without ever seeing them first. I myself have bought the first season of Babylon 5 and Arrested Development on reccomendation alone. I'm glad that I did, they're great shows. I went on to buy the rest of Babylon 5. Ohh and I cannot forget Firefly. I bought Firefly without ever seeing it and I'm glad I did. I'm glad that DVD is a good enough medium where studios can actually do this feasibly. Had Firefly been realised in the 80's with VHS being the norm, I probably would have never heard of it. Anyway, I don't see this TV on DVD slowing down any. I was thinking that this trend of buying the seasons could in fact change the way we watch TV. We'll just have to see how things work out.

Comment

Working...
        X