The Experience's 2012 Hip-Hop Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Experience's 2012 Hip-Hop Awards

Well wow, what a year for hip hop as a whole. So many great albums and projects put out in 2012. I have enjoyed doing the album review thread and hope 2013 is just as good. Please post you favorites of the year as well.

Top 10 Songs of 2012

1. El-P ~ Stay Down (ft. Nick Diamonds) - This song is just amazing, the beat bangs. El comes out with some of his most intricate rhyme schemes ever and Nick Diamonds brings a great hook.

2. Kendrick Lamar ~ Sing About Me/I'm Dying Of Thirst - The concept of the song is what makes it amazing (see the album review thread).

3. Killer Mike ~ Reagan - An enlightening and politically charged track with a strong underlying meaning. The beat changes and is just absolutely powerful.

4. Dizzy Wright ~ Accept My Flaws pt. 2 - Such a great concept that makes you wonder what you'd do in the situation that the characters are in, the beat is powerful and the hook is amazing.

5. Skyzoo ~ The Knowing - Just a great track with a real nice concept (for more see album review)

6. El-P 4$ Vic/FTL (Me & You) - A great track with some of El-P's best lyrics like "Top of the mornin' morbid, what a day we're having gorgeous, salutations unimportant, hello unispired". Damn, and the final portion of this song is just poetic.

7. Danny Brown ~ Grown Up - A cool beat that fits perfect with Danny Brown's flow

8. Kendrick Lamar ~ Swimming Pools (Drank) - Catchy song with a great message

9. El-P ~ Tougher Colder Killer (ft. Killer Mike & Despot) - A rapid fire track with 3 amazing rappers.

10. T.I. ~ Wonderful Life (ft. Akon) - Amazing beat with Tip speaking some deep stuff

Top 3 Producers of 2012

1. El-P ~ He produced 2 of the best albums of 2012.

2. Apollo Brown ~ He was also busy in 2012 producing 2 great albums as well.

3. Big K.R.I.T. ~ Released a fantastic mixtape and a very solid album

Top 5 Disappointments

1. Slaughterhouse ~ This Is Our House - After a great debut album for the supergroup, their first album under a major label was very bad.

2. Nas ~ Life Is Good - A lot of people loved this album, It really disappointed me. I loved "Untitled" but this had some good tracks but just too much filler for me.

3. Childish Gambino ~ Royalty - After last year's release of a great album "Camp", I was really looking forward to his mixtape release in 2012. But he got away from what made him unique and great.

4. The Game ~ Jesus Piece - The idea was supposed to be a concept album, This got me excited for a possible evolution of Game as an artist, but I just didn't get it.

5.Obie Trice ~ Bottoms Up - After 2 great releases, this just was disappointing.

Top 5 Verses of 2012

1. Scarface ~ Hip Hop (w/ Nas) - He is just so damn powerful and deep on this track

2. El-P ~ Butane (w/ Killer Mike) - His rhyme scheme and flow are just crazy on this.

3. Mr. MFN' Exquire ~ Oh Hail No (w/ El-P & Danny Brown) - His flow on this is one of the best I have ever heard. Damn

4. Nas ~ Hip Hop (w/ Scarface) - Nas follows up an amazing verse from Scarface with one of his own.

5. Ander 3000 ~ Sorry (w/ T.I.) - Damn 3 Stacks is just an amazing rapper.

Breakthrough Artist of The Year (winner in bold)

Dizzy Wright

Macklemore

Lushlife

Chief Keef

Jarren Benton

Hard to argue with Macklemore's success this year. He has absolutely blown up with his album "The Heist". Mainstream hip hop needs more people like Macklemore, people making songs with meaning.

Top 6 Mixtapes of 2012

1. Big K.R.I.T ~ 4evaNaDay - Just a great concept project taking you through a day in the life of KRIT.

2. Skyzoo ~ Theo vs JJ (Dreams vs Reality) - An amazingly deep concept mixtape.

3. Joey Bada$$ ~ 1999 - The title says it all. This reminded me of a boom bap rap album from 1999 and this kid only 18 can really spit.

4. Slaughterhouse ~ On The House - Unlike the garbage album, this mixtape was great.

5. Joe Budden ~ A Loose Quarter - Much anticipated mixtape from Joe was very solid with good features and evoulution in his game.

6. Jarren Benton ~ Freebasing with Kevin Bacon - Just loved this from beginning to end, just a fun mixtape.

Top 12 Albums of 2012

1. El-P ~ Cancer 4 Cure - One of the best albums I have ever heard (right on par with his masterpiece "Fantastic Damage") It has everything, the production is incredible, the lyrics are on point and it is damn cohesive. I could talk about this album all day. It is perfect

2. Kendrick Lamar ~ good kid, m.A.A.d city - An amazing concept album. Kendrick stepped his game up from the great album from last year "Section .80" (my album of the year last year).

3. Killer Mike ~ R.A.P. Music - The combo of Killer Mike and El-P was a match made in heaven. They put out a badass album that reminded me of a mid 90's Ice Cube album. Hungry, Angry and fun.

4. Skyzoo ~ A Dream Deferred - Another great concept album. Skyzoo is one of the best out there right now and this album was amazing. Great lyrics and beats.

5. Lushlife ~ Plateau Vision - If you haven't heard of Lushlife, you need to go check him out. I had never heard of this guy until I stumbled upon this. First off, this guy can really rap. He has many different flows. But the most impressive thing about this album is the production. He uses live instrumentation played by himself. This album is a gem.

6. Blu ~ Give Me My Flowers While I Can Still Smell Them - Loved this album, Blu has come back strong.

7. Aesop Rock ~ Skelethon - What a great album, Aesop's production was great. Lyrically it was amazing as well

8. P.O.S. ~ We Don't Even Live Here - P.O.S. changed his style on this album which had me a bit hesitant, but I loved it. One of the most fun albums of the year.

9. Apollo Brown & OC ~ Trophies - This album had it all, dope production by Apollo and great lyricism from OC

10. Dizzy Wright ~ Smoke Out Conversations - This album was shockingly great. I had decently low expectations for it because I thought it would just be another weed rapper that bores me of the likes of Wiz and Mac Miller. But Dizzy is a damn lyricist. This album was a lot of fun.

11. Vinnie Paz ~ God of The Serengeti - Vinnie Paz is 1/2 of one of my favorite hip hop duos of all time, Jedi Mind Tricks. This is his 2nd solo effort and while I don't like it as much as his 1st it is still a great album.

12. Homeboy Sandman ~ First of a Living Breed - He really came through with a great album

Honorable Mentions:

T.I. - Trouble Man Is Heavy Handed

Billy Woods - History Will Absolve Me

Big K.R.I.T - Live From The Underground

Apollo Brown & Guilty Simpson - Dice Game

Artist of the Year (winner in bold)

Big K.R.I.T.

Skyzoo

Lushlife

Aesop Rock

El-P

Kendrick Lamar

P.O.S.

El-P was a major part of 2 of my top albums of the year (including #1) so this was easy for me.
    Last edited by The Experience; 01-02-2013, 03:32 PM.
    sigpic

Gotta go with kendrik for artist of the year brah
    sigpic

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

Comment

Originally posted by canadiansbronco View Post
      Gotta go with kendrik for artist of the year brah
      When I look at someone as a complete artist I look at someone who can produce his own music. Kendrick Lamar vs El-P as MCs is pretty even. So I look that El-P produced his own album (which was #1 on my list) and Killer Mike's album (which was #3) so El was a big part of 2 of the best projects of the year, Kendrick did one. Thus my reasoning for giving the edge to El.
      sigpic

Comment

Have you heard Shotgun Kisses by Dizzy Wright?

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
          Have you heard Shotgun Kisses by Dizzy Wright?
          Yup, great track. Jarren really went in on that.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X