2013 Best Picture Oscar Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Best Picture Oscar Thread

I'm very interestsd in seeing all of these movies. If anyone has seen them, can you rate/recommend them to me? Very interested in Argo, Lincoln, Les Miserables, and Django Unchained. Considering a few others. Let me have it, should I?

Adopted Posters - Broncoholic MS, thatkidhunt, Al Wilson 4 Mayor, Thors Hammer, McSmashie, CanDB, Peanut, BroncoManiac_69, MightyHorse, CHARGER$, Chillez, EddieMac
    Married Megan Joy on August 18th, 2013
    Proud Daddy of Jeremiah James born February 24, 2011

Adopt-A-Bronco 2013 - Champ Bailey
    Yankees, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche, CU Buffs
    I still miss you Jake Plummer!

sigpic

Django - Top 5 of my all time favorites

Argo - 9.8/10 Great movie

Lincoln never saw, heard plenty of good things.

Heard terrible things about Les Mis
    2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

sigpic

Comment

Django was awesome..

Argo was good.

Not seen Lincoln or le mis but I heard le mis was bad too.
      sigpic

Comment

What exactly about Les Mis did you guys hear was bad?
        LET 'ER BUCK!!!
        Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

Comment

Originally posted by HurricaneDovs View Post
          I watched it and I hated it. It was like 6 hours long and I thought it was really boring, and I love musicals and stuff like that. I saw a version of it on stage years ago and it blew me away. This film adaptation didn't live up to all the hype it got.

Comment

Just the movie in general. I've heard it is an absolute snore fest, that is way to long and just unimpressive. My sister and grandma saw it over the holiday's while we went and saw The Hobbit, and they both did not like it. I've had multiple guys tell me it was beyond awful as well. It was pretty obvious most guys wouldn't be interested, but when the girls don't like it...that is where I throw up the red flag.

sigpic

Comment

Life of Pi - A
              Django Unchained - A
              Argo - A-
              Zero Dark Thirty - B+
              Silver Linings Playbook - B
              Lincoln - B

Of those nominated, those are the ones i've seen. I highly recommend the first two. Life of Pi is visually beautiful and its story is deep and philosophical and thought provoking. Django is more actiony and violent and funny. Argo was very intense and interesting and enjoyable. I dug it. Zero Dark Thirty is pretty boring for the first half but the second half really makes up for it. By the end you (hopefully) will realize that it was a movie less about killing Bin Laden and more about the main character. Silver Linings Playbook is an off-kilter dramedy and it's pretty interesting. Lincoln has excellent performances and it will probably get you all exciting and inspired given the various monologues and the subject matter.

One movie you should definitely check out in spite of it not being nominated is Moonrise Kingdom. Very original and funny and weird. My second favorite of the year.

Comment

Lets be honest here.

Argo was a good movie, solid in most aspects. Best movie? No. It had sympathy for Ben Affleck written all over it. Lincoln was long considered the favorite but a late rally changed all that.

It's like those stories about some kid, woman or animal that for whatever reasons make it to the news and suddenly, everyone is up in arms about their situation and will blindly throw their money at them/their cause and tag their Facebook with some crap to show their sympathies. What about the rest of the world that suffer 24/7? Yeah, lets pretend that's not happening, convenient. Argo winning for Best Picture is no different.

Winning an Oscar is supposed to be the ultimate cadeau and recognition from the industry. Well, you damn well better make sure the best wins then. Same debacle back in 2007 with Scorsese and his The Departed. Listen, I'm a big fan of his, Goodfellas being one of my all time favorites. Even so, it takes no expert to tell that had sympathy written all over it too.

This year, Django Unchained was and is far and away the best movie of the bunch. I mean, it's not even close. It's a masterpiece and should be recognized as such. You could argue Life of Pi is as well. The rest are just good movies.
                Adopted Poster
                AZ Snake Fan

Comment

Meh, I would watch Django over all of the other nominees because I loved it, but it doesn't really have the "it" factor needed to win an Oscar. Too much glorification of violence and not enough seriousness really. There's no real political statements and you don't leave the movie feeling like you have been effected emotionally on a grander scale than just having watched a badass movie. Django is more entertainment and style while the others mostly had more substance than entertainment value and style.

Django would in no way have won last night because that's just how the Oscars are. Argo, Lincoln, ZDT, Life of Pi all exist on levels deeper than to just entertain the person watching it. The Oscars are about more than the most entertaining movie. There's a reason James Bond, Batman, and The Avengers don't have anything to do with the Oscars for the most part.

Django was great, but it isn't the type of movie that will ever win an Oscar. I thought it was amazing, but it doesn't take itself seriously enough to be deserving of an Oscar.

Comment

I heard Les Miserables was amazing, just haven't had it in me to watch it. Once it's out of the theaters I'll check it out...
                    sigpic
                    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
                    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                    Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

Maybe it's because I'm in theatre but I really liked Les Mis. I've seen it live on stage too and it still held up. Most everyone sang very well (Crowe wasn't good and Cohen and Bonham Carter were awful. They were awful acting-wise too IMO). But while it was long I did not feel like it dragged at any point. It followed the stage show pretty well while even including some stuff from the book.

Funny enough (and I'll probably catch flak) Django bored me. At some points it was good. Other times I just got really bored. There were scenes that just dragged and I felt bored more often than intrigued or engrossed in the movie.
                      LET 'ER BUCK!!!
                      Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

Comment

Interesting stats I saw in a magazine today at the mechanic place I was at.

This is who chooses the best picture award. 62 year old white males (62 is average age of voter in the academy).

Interesting...
                        sigpic

Comment

Maybe it's because I'm in theatre but I really liked Les Mis. I've seen it live on stage too and it still held up. Most everyone sang very well (Crowe wasn't good and Cohen and Bonham Carter were awful. They were awful acting-wise too IMO). But while it was long I did not feel like it dragged at any point. It followed the stage show pretty well while even including some stuff from the book.

Funny enough (and I'll probably catch flak) Django bored me. At some points it was good. Other times I just got really bored. There were scenes that just dragged and I felt bored more often than intrigued or engrossed in the movie.
                          Django and boring do not belong anywhere near each other.

sigpic

Comment

I thought Silver Linings was fantastic.
                            sigpic

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X