Everquest: Next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everquest: Next

any MMORPG fans that have not heard about this need to check out SOE Live on august 2nd because they are going to officially announce their new Everquest MMO.

there is quite a bit of buzz about this game right now in the MMO community. there is next to no information about it so far but what we do know is pretty intriguing.

https://www.everquestnext.com/

"I have to be honest with you. We have completely blown up the design of EverQuest Next. For the last year and a half we have been working on something we are not ready to show. Why did we blow up the design? The design was evolutionary. It was EverQuest III. It was something that was slightly better that what had come before it. IT was slightly better. What we are building is something that we will be very proud to call EverQuest. It will be the largest sandbox style MMO ever designed. The same exciting content delivered in a new way. Something you’ve never seen before. The MMO world has never seen before. We didn’t want more Kill 10 Rats quests. We didn’t want more of the same. You can still kill 10 rats if you want to, but they are gonna fight back alot harder, Alot harder to put it mildly. If you look at the MMOs out there, they’re delivering the same content over and over again. So are we. We need to change that. When we released EverQuest, we changed the world. We want to do that again with a different type of game". - John Smedley
    they have purposely held back any information until SOE live and apparently they are going to release a lot of information with a possible release version of the game by the end of this year.

Players will have to wait a bit longer to try it themselves, but maybe not as long as you’d expect. “Players will get their hands on an actual release version of what we’re doing late [this] year – and I don’t mean a beta,” says Smedley.
    We’re betting the company’s future on this game. … The last EverQuest game launched in 2005. We’ve blown up two design ideas over the last four years because they were too ‘me too.’ It wasn’t enough of a change. We settled on a design that, when we looked at it, everyone in the room thought we were crazy. We gave it a week and came back, and we all said ‘yeah, we’re still crazy, but we can’t get the idea out of our heads. … It’s going to be the world’s largest sandbox game.” -
    at E3 2013, two of the largest MMORPG news sites got a private look at EQN (MMORPG.com and Ten Ton hammer). even though EQ next was not publicly shown to anyone they both still gave it their best of E3 award.

they are sworn to secrecy until August 2nd but they have still made a few comments.

Bill Murphy from MMORPG.com said people are going to "poop their pants when they see EQ next" lol that's a quote.

here is what Ten Ton Hammer had to say.

The date of EverQuest Next’s public reveal by Sony Online Entertainment is quickly rushing towards us. During SOE Live, on August 2nd, at noon Pacific, the world of MMORPGs will be changed forever. If you’re not going to be able to make it to SOE Live this year, then listen very carefully to what I say next. You really want to be here when the announcement is made. I can’t say why and I can’t say what may be here (ALLEGEDLY!) but you want to keep your browser pointed to Ten Ton Hammer. As the date gets closer, I’ll be sure to keep everyone informed. (ZOMG, do I know secrets that would kill any normal mortal to contain!)
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/everques...utm_medium=rss

that is a lot of hype already for this game. but i have to say it has worked because they have my attention, that is for sure!

here is some more information i didn't list in the OP.

EQ Next will use the forgelight engine, same engine planet side 2 uses.

they are getting help from a company called "storybricks" http://www.storybricks.com/

We want to create games with interesting worlds to explore.
    Boundless, incredible universes where players can be creators.
    Imagine coming across an NPC who doesn't just stand there and blandly roll through the same text player after player after player. Instead, the NPC interacts with folks on an individual basis, adapting to the choices and needs -- and even emotions -- of the one currently standing there. Now add in a memory; yes, the NPC remembers past experiences with the individual player and draws on past interactions to guide current ones. Pretty innovative, right? But it doesn't end there.
    Important NPCs should have inner lives, complex relationships, and their own goals that they work toward. They should remember past interactions with your characters and adjust their behavior depending on whether they feel grateful, trusting, envious, betrayed, and they should be able to express these emotions in a convincing manner, each one coloring their day to day activities (e.g., a guard whose girlfriend just left him should act differently from one who was just dressed down by his captain)
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04...ing-in-a-tree/

here are some more John Smedly quotes

We absolutely need to build that style of content into every game we make because players want that. We're not talking about the end of raids, the end of this incredibly high-level content. We're talking about changing the nature of the world around it so that there's a lot more to do "in between" expansions. A good example, but a very narrow example, is battlegrounds in WoW or EQII, where players get bored doing it over and over again. But imagine the entire world as part of the interaction. Imagine seasons changing. Imagine if you're a Druid and you need to literally seek out reagents for your spells or worship your deity in a glade somewhere off in the wilderness, but you don't know where. Or image forests growing back after they're burned to the ground by invading forces. What we want is a dynamic world that gives all those other possibilities and doesn't just say OK, go to raid X with group composition of X, Y, Z, and kill the dragon for the 52nd time to get the tier 800 gear. It's this rinse-and-repeat gameplay that's got to change, and so we're changing it.
    i cant find the quote right now but he also said that almost every single thing in the entire world can be built and destroyed.

here is one that is very interesting to me and i am not really sure how i think about it without seeing it in action.

It’s not just players making quests. Don’t think of it just as Dungeons & Dragons. What we’re actually building is the ability for players to put in systems. System-level stuff. We give them some rules, some basic simple rules, and they can make things out of whole cloth. They could build their own battlegrounds style of gameplay. That’s what we want. What we have is an amazing infrastructure and ability to let players do new and emerging things.
    so players can make quests for other players to go on? that's awesome in itself!! but i don't know about the rest, that sounds petty crazy to me.

this game has serious potential IMO

Comment

EverQuest was the first MMO I ever played. It was also the best I ever played. EQ2 not so much.

I'm looking forward to seeing more from this game. I can't wait.
      sigpic
      2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Sounds pretty cool. I played EQ2 for some time, it was great but eventually it got a little dated in comparison to the iteration of MMOs that were after it.

I'm going to have to see a lot more before I'd consider playing a pay-to-play game again. If it's still a grind and just a harder grind that's not all that appealing to me, and idk how that's appealing to anyone really. WoW pumps out these expansions that are just the same grind with different pictures. It's not fun. I like what they're saying about changing the X, Y, Z format but I'd definitely have to see it to believe it. Some of the claims they're making about the level of dynamic things in their world sound totally nuts.

I just kind of picture this game in like year 2, and everything everywhere is just smoldering wasteland

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
          Sounds pretty cool. I played EQ2 for some time, it was great but eventually it got a little dated in comparison to the iteration of MMOs that were after it.

I'm going to have to see a lot more before I'd consider playing a pay-to-play game again. If it's still a grind and just a harder grind that's not all that appealing to me, and idk how that's appealing to anyone really. WoW pumps out these expansions that are just the same grind with different pictures. It's not fun. I like what they're saying about changing the X, Y, Z format but I'd definitely have to see it to believe it. Some of the claims they're making about the level of dynamic things in their world sound totally nuts.

I just kind of picture this game in like year 2, and everything everywhere is just smoldering wasteland
          it will have a free to play option, all SOE games will have that option from here on out. but yeah, there just isn't enough information about it yet, in a couple weeks we will know a lot more.

Comment

I love smoldering wastelands... it's like being in oakland

Comment

Betcha it's F2P on PC and PS4

(I only say this because this has been a big push by Sony lately. Planetside will also be f2p on PS4 and already is on PC)
              Last edited by Freyaka; 07-15-2013, 08:42 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                here is some more information i didn't list in the OP.

EQ Next will use the forgelight engine, same engine planet side 2 uses.

they are getting help from a company called "storybricks" http://www.storybricks.com/

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04...ing-in-a-tree/

here are some more John Smedly quotes

i cant find the quote right now but he also said that almost every single thing in the entire world can be built and destroyed.

here is one that is very interesting to me and i am not really sure how i think about it without seeing it in action.

so players can make quests for other players to go on? that's awesome in itself!! but i don't know about the rest, that sounds petty crazy to me.

this game has serious potential IMO
                If it's using the PS2 engine that's a darn good engine BUT it's in bad need of optimization. Planetside is extremely hard on CPU's expecially AMD's I've got an FX 8150 8 core and it struggles to play it sometimes and I don't struggle to play anything.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                  Betcha it's F2P on PC and PS4

(I only say this because this has been a big push by Sony lately. Planetside will also be f2p on PS4 and already is on PC)
                  agreed, it will be.

If it's using the PS2 engine that's a darn good engine BUT it's in bad need of optimization. Planetside is extremely hard on CPU's expecially AMD's I've got an FX 8150 8 core and it struggles to play it sometimes and I don't struggle to play anything.
                  that is a concern of mine, i am fairly certain i will have to upgrade my PC to play this, if i want to play it on medium - high settings.

although, PS2 doesn't play too bad on my current set up. but a fantasy mmo will have much more going on (on the screen that is) than a FPS shooter like PS2 does. so it may be even worse unless its optimized better.

we will see.

Comment

agreed, it will be.

that is a concern of mine, i am fairly certain i will have to upgrade my PC to play this, if i want to play it on medium - high settings.

although, PS2 doesn't play too bad on my current set up. but a fantasy mmo will have much more going on (on the screen that is) than a FPS shooter like PS2 does. so it may be even worse unless its optimized better.

we will see.
                    I would argue the opposite. The reason PS2 slays machines is because of the massive amounts of players in one place at one time. In EQ you will run into a lot of people yes but not nearly on the scale of PS2 except in cities or specific areas like that.
                    sigpic

Comment

I would argue the opposite. The reason PS2 slays machines is because of the massive amounts of players in one place at one time. In EQ you will run into a lot of people yes but not nearly on the scale of PS2 except in cities or specific areas like that.
                      i meant in terms of content, not players. in a fantasy mmorpg setting, there will be much more on your screen in terms of towns, buildings, NPC's, spell particles, caves, etc. (sorry if i am not good at explaining this)

also, in EQ i remember being involved in raids with over 100 people all in the same tiny area together, so it is a factor if EQN has a similar set up.

either way though, worst case scenario is i spend less than $200 to upgrade my graphics card and ram, problem is solved (at least on my end).

my current system isn't that far off, its an old gaming system that was pretty good when i got it, its like 5 years old now though.

Comment

i meant in terms of content, not players. in a fantasy mmorpg setting, there will be much more on your screen in terms of towns, buildings, NPC's, spell particles, caves, etc. (sorry if i am not good at explaining this)

also, in EQ i remember being involved in raids with over 100 people all in the same tiny area together, so it is a factor if EQN has a similar set up.

either way though, worst case scenario is i spend less than $200 to upgrade my graphics card and ram, problem is solved (at least on my end).

my current system isn't that far off, its an old gaming system that was pretty good when i got it, its like 5 years old now though.
                        Video card isn't as big of an issue with that engine as CPU. My video card is a Geforce GTX 570 and it handles everything with ease. The cpu was what was lagging me behind and now that I have a AMD 8350 8 core it runs just fine.
                        sigpic

Comment

Have they released sys reqs yet?

Comment

Have they released sys reqs yet?
                            nah, they have released next to no information at all about the game (just hype mainly). they are going to have a huge reveal at SOE live.

https://www.soe.com/soelive/

Comment

Played EQ forever.

Then quit that to play EQ2 for an even longer period.

Then my computer was fried. Haven't played since.
                              The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Working...
                              X