Paul McCartney Still Has It!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul McCartney Still Has It!!!!!

We were privileged to have Paul McCartney and band perform here last night. It was a beautiful night for an outdoor concert, and the crowd, composed of a very wide range of demographics, got their money's worth and more, as the 71 year old legend put on a music clinic for all to enjoy.

It was a night of nostalgia, energy, love and yes, great music. McCartney's voice isn't what it was, but what it is, is still very good! And his band is special!

I was just becoming a teenager when The Beatles arrived. Along with them was The British Invasion, one of the finest musical periods I can even imagine. We were spoiled, week after week, as a new band showed up, or a new album hit the stands. It was simply amazing!

Years passed by, but McCartney has continued to impress. Even beyond The Beatles......however I still can not believe the odds of two legendary music superstars, Lennon and McCartney, meeting up at such a young age, in Liverpool. I am also a fan of George Harrison, the quiet but talented one, and even Ringo, who added his personality to the group. But Lennon and McCartney made the finest music any duo could make. They were in a class of their own in my books.

Anyway......last night was fantastic! A local reviewer gave it a 5 out of 5, and my wife and I concur!

His music is timeless. Took my 6 year old daughter to see him just so she could say later in life that she saw a Beatle. Money well spent.

Comment

My wife is a die hard Beatles fan. Me not so much. Though I like some of the original stuff.

But man Can I knew you were a bit older and wiser. This post was a bit revealing. I had no idea. I bet that was awesome to experience at the time though.

I love music but today is far from the golden age of Rock n roll.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
        His music is timeless. Took my 6 year old daughter to see him just so she could say later in life that she saw a Beatle. Money well spent.
        Very wise of you!

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
        My wife is a die hard Beatles fan. Me not so much. Though I like some of the original stuff.

But man Can I knew you were a bit older and wiser. This post was a bit revealing. I had no idea. I bet that was awesome to experience at the time though.

I love music but today is far from the golden age of Rock n roll.
        Hope you're okay with my "seniority"!!! Actually I am much younger than Paul (who's still rockin it!).

Comment

Did you keep a playlist? Did he play a lot of Beatles songs?
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            Very wise of you!

Hope you're okay with my "seniority"!!! Actually I am much younger than Paul (who's still rockin it!).

I have no problem with it at all. A lot of your wisdom threads make a lot more sense now.

I for some reason assumed you were in the 30-40 range like me.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              Did you keep a playlist? Did he play a lot of Beatles songs?

I didn't keep a list, but it's very similar to his last show.....but yes, tons of Beatles music, and a few Wings hits.....

Here's a list I can think of, but not in exact order:
              - Eight Days A Week (it was first)
              - We Can Work It Out
              - And I Love Her (I think??)
              - Your Mother Should Know
              - Another Day
              - All My Lovin
              - Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
              - I've Just Seen A Face
              - All Together Now
              - Lovely Rita
              - Blackbird
              - Lady Madonna
              - Eleanor Rigby
              - Listen To What The Man Said
              - Let It Be
              - Yesterday
              - Long And Winding Road
              - Band On The Run
              - Ob-La-Di
              - Back In The USSR
              - Live and Let Die
              - Hey Jude
              - Paperback Writer
              - Something
              - Day Tripper
              - Maybe I'm Amazed
              - Helter Skelter
              - Mull Of Kintyre
              - Golden Slumbers (last one)

Plus a few more I can't quite remember at this time (must have been about 35 songs)....one was written for John Lennon.
              Last edited by CanDB; 08-14-2013, 09:05 AM.

Comment

I didn't keep a list, but it's very similar to his last show.....but yes, tons of Beatles music, and a few Wings hits.....

Here's a list I can think of:
                - Eight Days A Week (it was first)
                - We Can Work It Out
                - And I Love Her (I think??)
                - Your Mother Should Know
                - Another Day
                - All My Lovin
                - Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
                - I've Just Seen A Face
                - All Together Now
                - Lovely Rita
                - Blackbird
                - Lady Madonna
                - Eleanor Rigby
                - Listen To What The Man Said
                - Let It Be
                - Yesterday
                - Long And Winding Road
                - Band On The Run
                - Ob-La-Di
                - Back In The USSR
                - Live and Let Die
                - Hey Jude
                - Paperback Writer
                - Something
                - Day Tripper
                - Maybe I'm Amazed
                - Helter Skelter
                - Mull Of Kintyre
                - Golden Slumbers (last one)

Plus a few more I can't quite remember at this time (must have been about 35 songs)....one was written for John Lennon.
                Very Cool! When he was on the Colbert Report, he played "I've Just Seen A Face", "For The Benefit of Mr. Kite" and "Lady Madonna".
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  Very Cool! When he was on the Colbert Report, he played "I've Just Seen A Face", "For The Benefit of Mr. Kite" and "Lady Madonna".
                  If you like him, you would have loved this concert! Of course he could do no wrong with the crowd, but the show itself was very smartly put together......and did not let up as it went on. In fact, there was more and more noise and excitement nearer the end. Of course Live and Let Die included some real fireworks and explosions, which caught a lot of people by surprise.

But McCartney is McCartney......he is a great performer, and his legacy is in elite status. And the fact that we can still share in on all those Beatles hits, without losing much in transition, is just fantastic. The memories and the feelings all come back.

Comment

Everyone usually assumes that I'm a die hard Beatles fan just because I'm from Liverpool, not actually the case, but I can appreciate what wonderfully talented musicians they are (well, certainly Paul, John and George, Ringo doesn't impress me very much), and they have done some brilliant ballads. Long and Winding Road is one of my favourite songs because it played at my Uncle's funeral, tear up every time I hear it.

Fun fact, Paul McCartney and John Lennon both support(ed) Everton , George Harrison is believed to have also, same with Pete Best, but it's hard to find proof.
                    Last edited by EvertonBroncos; 08-14-2013, 09:59 AM.
                    Come On You Blues! GO BRONCOS!

Comment

Originally posted by EvertonBroncos View Post
                      Everyone usually assumes that I'm a die hard Beatles fan just because I'm from Liverpool, not actually the case, but I can appreciate what wonderfully talented musicians they are (well, certainly Paul, John and George, Ringo doesn't impress me very much), and they have done some brilliant ballads. Long and Winding Road is one of my favourite songs because it played at my Uncle's funeral, tear up every time I hear it.

Fun fact, Paul McCartney and John Lennon both support(ed) Everton , George Harrison is believed to have also, same with Pete Best, but it's hard to find proof.
                      One way or the other, you are from the home of what I believe was the best song-writing/performing duo......in my entire life for starters! Their impact on this globe was off the charts. I never think twice when asked who was the best band ever......but hey, just my opinion. Lets put it this way.....every time they released another album, almost instantly a handful of their songs would top the charts. If the same music awards shows existed back then, they would have swept the awards year after year.

The fact that so many young folks can relate to their music, and we're talking 50 years later, says a lot about them.

I must give some credit to the Rolling Stones however - the rougher types back in the day, because they have lasted all these years, and still put on a good show. Hard to believe THEY of all groups would have weathered so many storms!!! (Almost a medical phenom!!!)

Comment

One way or the other, you are from the home of what I believe was the best song-writing/performing duo......in my entire life for starters! Their impact on this globe was off the charts. I never think twice when asked who was the best band ever......but hey, just my opinion. Lets put it this way.....every time they released another album, almost instantly a handful of their songs would top the charts. If the same music awards shows existed back then, they would have swept the awards year after year.

The fact that so many young folks can relate to their music, and we're talking 50 years later, says a lot about them.

I must give some credit to the Rolling Stones however - the rougher types back in the day, because they have lasted all these years, and still put on a good show. Hard to believe THEY of all groups would have weathered so many storms!!! (Almost a medical phenom!!!)
                        It is very humbling to think about, I come from the same city as probably the most famous musicians ever to live. I've seen where John Lennon lived, and I've walked down Penny Lane more times than I can count, Penny Lane is only a few miles from where I live, really quite amazing to walk down such an ordinary, yet world-renowned road.

You're right though, they're not to my taste as such, I can like I say appreciate their ability and success, but the way their music stood the test of time, and people around my age (late teens/early twenties) love them, quite remarkable really.
                        Come On You Blues! GO BRONCOS!

Comment

Awesome, did you give Paul a big HUG for me?

Comment

Originally posted by 2 Minute Warning View Post
                            Awesome, did you give Paul a big HUG for me?
                            He came back to my house for a post concert drink, and just before he left I gave him a hug from you.....

Did you even doubt me?

Comment

Working...
                            X