Heavy Metal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 86Elwayfan View Post
    So I have always thought that Harlequin Forest could have a literal and non-literal re: "deeper" meaning. Initially when I heard this song I thought it was about being an outcast or something to that effect then changing to be "accepted" only to lose yourself. The outcast piece comes from the lyrics "Baying behind me, I hear the hounds, Flock's chasing to find me alone" with the "accpetance" coming later :
    "Depending on a prayer
    Pacing deserted roads to find
    A seed of hope

They are the trees
    Rotten pulp inside and never well
    Roots sucking, thieving from my source
    Tired boughs reaching for the light"

Then immediately after he talks of false pretension and dying alone almost like by changing who you are you lose yourself.

Now that my weird philosophical view of the song (one of my favs btw) is out there. Many have said that lyrically it is a call out to Dante's Inferno. but yeah guess all of that is my :2cents:
    Actually, I don't find that weird at all. He's definitely alluding to Alighieri in the song through symbolism. Also, with the mention of Absinthe, he makes reference to a host of writers and artistic movements who were no doubt inspired by Alighieri. But I don't think the song is a just literal depiction. Like you've stated, I think there is some personal philosophical meaning there. Good stuff.

Comment

• Ok, back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Who says Slayer can't write? Psh...

Comment

• A lot of people including Anthrax like to dog on Joey, however the dude has pipes & he can still sing with older age.... Unlike my favorite frontman Anslemo who's voice is shot due to the screaming, drugs, alcohol, & smoking....

Comment

• Dio was a beast as well, his voice went so well with Iommi riffs as well as Ozzy's... Pay homage people, music wouldn't be as we know it, if not for the kings "Sabbath" ......................

Comment

• Which brings us back to the next song, we've come full circle lmao. Back to Anselmo, this was on the Iommi solo disc & rivals any Sabbath song. If you don't listen to this song, I can't help you & I don't know anyone can!!!

Comment

• Probably my favorite Ozzy song (non Sabbath of course), this or Mr. Crowley...

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post

A lot of people including Anthrax like to dog on Joey, however the dude has pipes & he can still sing with older age.... Unlike my favorite frontman Anslemo who's voice is shot due to the screaming, drugs, alcohol, & smoking....
                he does get hated on but i think a lot of it has to do with the fact that his style of vocals just doesn't fit in with the thrash metal sound as well as it would if he was in a power metal band.

it's cool how he gets kicked out of the band and has no hard feelings and just comes back and kills it again when they ask. anthrax should have never kicked him out to begin with, that's what killed the band IMO

absolutely hated bush, he sucks. but i'm an anthrax purist, ive even got a tattoo with an anthrax reference, one of my all time favorite bands for sure.

but yeah, joey still has it, he can't quite hit the highs that he once could but still really good IMO.

Comment

• sigpic

Comment

• John Elway in his younger years on bass

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• LOL these are great!

Comment

• Originally posted by baphamet View Post

LOL these are great!
                              You have too much time on your hands lol.......

Comment

• Check this out Baph, good stuff.......

Comment

Working...
                                X