Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Netflix; what are you watching??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Just started The Queen's Gambit. Heard it was really good. Loved chess when I was young, and apparently this show is helping to get more folks interested.

    Comment


    • Just finished Part 1 of Lupin, and it was fantastic. I cannot recommend it enough! For anyone that enjoys mystery or heist stories, you'll love it.

      The show is French, but has been dubbed in English and holds up really well. Definitely give it a watch!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        Just started The Queen's Gambit. Heard it was really good. Loved chess when I was young, and apparently this show is helping to get more folks interested.
        Really good show! For chess lovers or not. Interesting character, who has a gift, and despite her beginnings, finds 'family' along the way. I just love how she looks at her opponents as if she is saying, "can you beat that?"

        Comment


        • Night Stalker- Fabulous documentary. I remember when this went down, but only because the killer said AC/DC caused him to be evil. And I loved AC/DC and had to answer to my mother about it.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
            Night Stalker- Fabulous documentary. I remember when this went down, but only because the killer said AC/DC caused him to be evil. And I loved AC/DC and had to answer to my mother about it.
            It was good. I thought The Ripper was better, but a lot of that might have to do with my fascination with that case.

            SPOILERS

            All of these docs are good, but my one criticism is that they don't really explore the psychology of the killers as much as I think they should (e.g., Peter Sutcliffe's famous line, "I were just cleaning up the streets, our kid." And Richard Ramirez's line, "...I'll see you in Disneyland.") To me, those statements imply possible context for their motives that might've contradicted the perspectives of law enforcement. Things that were never explored in the docs. One or two more episodes following their capture would've been great, IMO.

            I'll elaborate a little. The police became convinced that Sutcliffe was not exclusively targeting prostitutes as originally believed. The possibility however, was that he was never specifically about prostitutes in the first place. In Ramirez's case, he went out of his way to cite Satan or the occult throughout. I question whether he truly believed any of that. His lawyer spoke of Disneyland as a means for persuading leniency from the jury, hence the joke. That was the thing with Ramirez. They touched on his horrible childhood and life as a means for explaining the extremely vile and disgusting things he did, but his attitude was always nonchalant. He didn't seem to ever fully grasp the seriousness of what was going on. There was this total lack of empathy, and desire to get a rise out of people or to shock people.

            I did a school report on Ramirez a long time ago, and I focused on the lack of inter-organizational coordination in law enforcement. The docs highlighted that for narrative purposes, but you could do an entire series on how a lack of departmental, organizational, or media/political cohesion impeded investigations back then.
            Last edited by Spice 1; 01-19-2021, 09:41 AM.

            Comment


            • Where we live, Netflix is not nearly as up to date as in The US. For example, sometimes I will read that a show is now in it's 3rd season, and yet we just got year 2! It's ok as long as you do not stumble on spoiler alerts. So please try not to share too much. Agreed?



              Comment


              • Longmire..

                Before that it was HOUSE MD..
                (don't remember where we watched it...)
                Last edited by 2 Minute Warning; 01-19-2021, 09:38 AM. Reason: I don't know lol

                Comment


                • Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                  Where we live, Netflix is not nearly as up to date as in The US. For example, sometimes I will read that a show is now in it's 3rd season, and yet we just got year 2! It's ok as long as you do not stumble on spoiler alerts. So please try not to share too much. Agreed?



                  Well, look on the bright side, Can. I can't spoil a Zodiac or Mad Butcher of Kingsbury Run documentary for you, because they never caught the guys. My bad, though. If it were a fictional movie, I definitely would've put spoiler tags at the top.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post

                    Well, look on the bright side, Can. I can't spoil a Zodiac or Mad Butcher of Kingsbury Run documentary for you, because they never caught the guys. My bad, though. If it were a fictional movie, I definitely would've put spoiler tags at the top.
                    Yeah....just sulking a little because we are behind in some shows. But no worries. Have you ever noticed that your family and close friends can spoil alert worse than anyone else? You tell them you haven't seen the show or series, and they just have to say too much!!!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                      Night Stalker- Fabulous documentary. I remember when this went down, but only because the killer said AC/DC caused him to be evil. And I loved AC/DC and had to answer to my mother about it.
                      Watching episode 3 now. It’s pretty solid. Never heard of this one before.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • Finished Night Stalker the other night. The craziest thing about this type of stuff is how most of us have a false sense of security when we are locked inside our homes. It’s really not that difficult for someone who really wants to, to find a way in. And it can all end so quickly.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by SecondsAway131 View Post
                          Just finished Part 1 of Lupin, and it was fantastic. I cannot recommend it enough! For anyone that enjoys mystery or heist stories, you'll love it.

                          The show is French, but has been dubbed in English and holds up really well. Definitely give it a watch!
                          Finished episode 2 last night. Real solid and entertaining series. I hope this gets more seasons added to it.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post

                            Finished episode 2 last night. Real solid and entertaining series. I hope this gets more seasons added to it.
                            From what I can tell it is planned to be a two part series, 5 episodes each. I'm sure added success could lead to them doing more though.

                            Comment


                            • Finally watched The Social Dilemma. Good doc about the addictive nature of social media and how it will only get worse if corporations keep pushing for revenues/profits, month after month. This at the cost of manipulating the human mind into whatever it wants to read/hear/see. Especially disastrous for the young generations who live and die by their phones. The "like" generations, who succumb to FOMO and other irrational behaviour. And the insane divisions it has caused, as people go further and further to the extremes, because they are fed it.

                              I have learned a few wise things regarding social media....1) Stay off most of them 2) Steer clear of conspiracy mumble jumble 3) Broaden yourself by purposefully reading/listening to opposite thinking, so as to at least keep you a bit balanced rather than wear blinders for anything that does not suit your argument.

                              Comment


                              • i really got into last kingdom. wasnt expecting much but the semi non-fiction element made it a lot more engaging for me than a game of thrones deal. also lot less fantasy stuff.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X