X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DenverBlood
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    Watched Don't Look Up last night. Interesting, fun movie, with some clear current day messages. Really good cast - DiCaprio, Streep, Lawrence, Blanchett, Chalamet, Hill and more well known folks. It has it's share of humour, and is definitely off the wall. I liked it.
    Yeah my wife and I found it pretty entertaining. But I did tell her about 90 minutes in that the you know what was todays real life you know what.

Hope that makes sense but don’t want to spoil for anyone.

Leave a comment:

• DenverBlood
    replied

I find it interesting how Everest is the #1 mountain talked about pretty much all the time, but I would climb it before I'd ever get near K2 for example. Crazy dangerous!! So was another mountain he climbed. But as for altitude, yeah, they're all dangerous.
    Yeah we also wondered how Everest was the most popular but K2 is the most dangerous. I guess a lot of people prefer higher over harder. And aren’t physically prepared for harder.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Watched Don't Look Up last night. Interesting, fun movie, with some clear current day messages. Really good cast - DiCaprio, Streep, Lawrence, Blanchett, Chalamet, Hill and more well known folks. It has it's share of humour, and is definitely off the wall. I liked it.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post

Yeah man. I guess at certain altitudes the air is way too “space like” for humans to breath. They used oxygen masks a lot but once those run dry you are toast.

Felt really bad for that guy that got caught overnight. Actually survived overnight alone on the mountain and then gave out in the hospital.
    I find it interesting how Everest is the #1 mountain talked about pretty much all the time, but I would climb it before I'd ever get near K2 for example. Crazy dangerous!! So was another mountain he climbed. But as for altitude, yeah, they're all dangerous.

Leave a comment:

• DenverBlood
    replied

You know what really makes me anxious about those dudes, other than the oddity of sharp slopes and huge height thing I have? The fact that they say you are starting to die once you go above a certain height. And therefore you must get down as quickly as you can.
    Yeah man. I guess at certain altitudes the air is way too “space like” for humans to breath. They used oxygen masks a lot but once those run dry you are toast.

Felt really bad for that guy that got caught overnight. Actually survived overnight alone on the mountain and then gave out in the hospital.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied

Wife and I finished watching this last night Can. I don’t think I could ever summit a mountain but man to see some of those views in person versus on my tv screen have to be absolutely breathtaking.

Absolutely crazy what he did in such a short time.
    You know what really makes me anxious about those dudes, other than the oddity of sharp slopes and huge height thing I have? The fact that they say you are starting to die once you go above a certain height. And therefore you must get down as quickly as you can.

Leave a comment:

• DenverBlood
    replied
    ^^^^^ Watched the last half of the doc, and I really liked it. Fearless, strong, determined.....risky.
    Wife and I finished watching this last night Can. I don’t think I could ever summit a mountain but man to see some of those views in person versus on my tv screen have to be absolutely breathtaking.

Absolutely crazy what he did in such a short time.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    ^^^^^ Watched the last half of the doc, and I really liked it. Fearless, strong, determined.....risky.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    14 Peaks: Nothing Is Impossible

I love mountain climbing docs/movies. Probably because I fear heights. Just watched half of this, to savour the fun of it....a true story of a climber whose quest is to summit the 14 "8,000 meter plus" peaks in the world, in 7 months. So far it's very interesting and amazing!

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied

I also always find it interesting when certain actors do several films in a row together. They get good chemistry and then the big name actor helps get the less popular ones gigs.
    In a number of these type shows I see that the main actor(s) will be Americans, but the majority of the overall cast is Canadian. I think we come cheap, or the exchange rate works better. But thanks to those folks involved, because it is good for Canadian employment.

Leave a comment:

• DenverBlood
    replied

I guess it's a pretty good formula, unless of course you start noticing the same folks over and over.
    I also always find it interesting when certain actors do several films in a row together. They get good chemistry and then the big name actor helps get the less popular ones gigs.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied

Netflix is basically just the largest cable channel in the country. There’s a lot of shows that have common actors. Movies too.

I think they do contracts for like a set number of years but they pick their jobs.
    I guess it's a pretty good formula, unless of course you start noticing the same folks over and over.

Leave a comment:

• DenverBlood
    replied
    I often joke about The Hallmark movies, because they have almost the same theme but with minor twists. But if you look at the casts, the same folks show up here, there and everywhere. I take it Netflix has some of the same strategy. They must have multi picture contracts with many actors. For example, I mentioned I watched Midnight Mass. Some well known folks involved, and as usual, a number of relative unknowns who are pretty good actors looking for a break. So I'm thumbing thru some other Netflix shows to consider, and I see The Haunting Of Hill House, and there are at least a handful of the same actors from Midnight Mass....actually, Midnight Mass came after, so it took actors from THOHH.

I guess that's part of the new approach, though actors have long been signed for multi picture deals.
    Netflix is basically just the largest cable channel in the country. There’s a lot of shows that have common actors. Movies too.

I think they do contracts for like a set number of years but they pick their jobs.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    I often joke about The Hallmark movies, because they have almost the same theme but with minor twists. But if you look at the casts, the same folks show up here, there and everywhere. I take it Netflix has some of the same strategy. They must have multi picture contracts with many actors. For example, I mentioned I watched Midnight Mass. Some well known folks involved, and as usual, a number of relative unknowns who are pretty good actors looking for a break. So I'm thumbing thru some other Netflix shows to consider, and I see The Haunting Of Hill House, and there are at least a handful of the same actors from Midnight Mass....actually, Midnight Mass came after, so it took actors from THOHH.

I guess that's part of the new approach, though actors have long been signed for multi picture deals.
    Last edited by CanDB; 11-19-2021, 09:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    The Forgotten Battle is a movie about the Battle of the Scheldt in 1944 Netherlands, Thieves of the Wood is a series with ten episodes in season 1 set in mid-eighteenth century Flanders about the dispossessed members of society, Outlaw King is a movie about Robert the Bruce
    Last edited by samparnell; 11-19-2021, 08:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X