No announcement yet.

Saturday Night Live (40th Anniversary)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Night Live (40th Anniversary)

Congrats to SNL!! 40 years strong.

I was a young man when the show began. We used to cut our Saturday's tight, so as to watch SNL in those first years. The show was had a cult following, but a large following at that. Over the years I have loved it, liked it, stopped watching it, and back and forth......depending on the cast. And over the years so many stars hosting, cast members turning into stars, and great musical guests!

I like that SNL has called it like it sees it, without losing it's vision.

I can name hundreds of unforgettable skits / performances, but lets leave it to the 40th anniversary show to fill in many of the gaps.

In memory, I am going to watch tonight's show, a repeat of the first ever SNL. And tomorrow we'll either watch the 40th or record it, so as to pay tribute to one of the best shows to ever hit the screen. Imagine....40 Years!!!

One of my favorites. There are many others..

sigpic

Comment

I've never been much of a fan but my wife is obsessed. She is really not into the current cast but she sticks with it anyway.

I find it very ironic though that for the 40th anniversary they decided to have Saturday Night Live...... On Sunday night.
      sigpic

Comment

The word association skit between Chevy Chase and Richard Pryor was the absolute funniest thing I have seen on TV. For it's time, that was groundbreaking television. That's when I knew this show was way off center, and was supposed to be. Can't wait to see what they have in store tonight.

Comment

I watched the Pilot last night, and it was quite interesting, given the way the show has evolved over the decades. George Carlin did a number of individual acts, and there were 2 musical acts. Billy Preston was hot then, and Janis Ian's "At Seventeen" was a statement song that hit deep nerves when it arrived. The "not ready for primetime" cast was limited in performance, but clearly all on the verge of becoming primetime stars (Chase, Belushi, Ackroyd, Radner, and others).

I do remember this show, and probably saw it live. I am that old!!

For those who expect more, the humour has changed, so don't be disappointed. At the time it was ground-setting.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            I watched the Pilot last night, and it was quite interesting, given the way the show has evolved over the decades. George Carlin did a number of individual acts, and there were 2 musical acts. Billy Preston was hot then, and Janis Ian's "At Seventeen" was a statement song that hit deep nerves when it arrived. The "not ready for primetime" cast was limited in performance, but clearly all on the verge of becoming primetime stars (Chase, Belushi, Ackroyd, Radner, and others).

I do remember this show, and probably saw it live. I am that old!!

For those who expect more, the humour has changed, so don't be disappointed. At the time it was ground-setting.
            I cannot say for sure whether or not I saw the opener live, but I do recall watching it the first year. I think my earliest memory was Elvis Costello doing the Radio song. It seemed minorly odd while watching it, but apparently afterwards it was a big deal.
            sigpic

Comment

I actually watched it for my wife.

I gotta say typical SNL as far as
              I'm concerned. A few good parts but overall a big letdown. Especially the last hour. Which was almost all commercials and two horrible choices for music entertainment.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                I actually watched it for my wife.

I gotta say typical SNL as far as
                I'm concerned. A few good parts but overall a big letdown. Especially the last hour. Which was almost all commercials and two horrible choices for music entertainment.
                That pretty much sums up the show for 40-years. Occasional brilliance broken up by long streaks of lame.
                sigpic

Comment

Them picking on Jon Lovitz was pretty funny, but other than that, not really funny.

My wife and I were more entertained by recalling our favorite skits during the commercials.

I sound like the old man yelling "get off my lawn", but these kids' SNL just isn't funny to me.
                  sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                    Them picking on Jon Lovitz was pretty funny, but other than that, not really funny.

My wife and I were more entertained by recalling our favorite skits during the commercials.

I sound like the old man yelling "get off my lawn", but these kids' SNL just isn't funny to me.
                    I think you are right...I am the old man yelling at kids to get off my lawn and so for me it was a walk down memory lane. At nearly 70 years old this was the story of my life and many, many people from my generation. The musicians, Kanye West and Myley Cyrus being the exception, were the musician I grew up with and loved throughout my earlier years. The comedians make me laugh even now and I still miss Gilda Radner. So for me there wasn't any of it that I didn't enjoy. I just don't know how the hell they all got to look so old and I still look so young.
                    Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

Comment

I think it was an interesting show, sometimes funny, sometimes entertaining with the musical acts etc. But I think that it was done like almost every show, with speed and timing, and because it was a huge reunion, it stood out to me as just that.....a reunion, albeit with some of the most famous people ever in the entertainment business.

So.....I took it as that. Funny at times, interesting, nostalgic, and to some degree quite entertaining. I think a lot of it was for them, which was never hidden as a motive. Good for them! I like doing skits and mc'ing, and on a list of top things I wish I could have done, was to be on SNL. That would have been an exciting experience! So fast and furious to get it done on time, and then the ultimate - live comedy. Mistakes were made, people laughing here and there, last second changes....and all as part of the trip. How special is that.....and lets only imagine what the after parties were like!:thumb:

Comment

Working...
                      X