Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dish, direct, comcast, netflix?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • dish, direct, comcast, netflix?

    gonna be moving soon and was wondering what your opinion was? thinking about dropping dish and just doing netflix...

    thought it would be a good idea to shop around first..


    thoughts?
    Glen Haven Fire

  • #2
    I'm beginning to embrace the cut the cord trend.

    I have Directv currently until my contract ends in August. Then I fully intend to cancel service and go with Amazon prime, Hulu and Netflix for $100 less a month.

    Only issue will be finding a way to watch the Broncos.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      I have all of them. You'll need the dish to watch the DEN games, if you're moving out of state. Netflix is good, but it's not great. Comcast is the best
      "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

      Comment


      • #4
        I have Comcast, have had it for some time, and I absolutely love it. It's not cheap, but if you're already going to have Comcast for internet, I really see no benefit to not getting the Triple Play. My internet is sooo fast, and it seems every year or so they bump it up a little bit. I can download about 10MB/sec, so it's very hard to tap out even when you're streaming a few things at once.

        I've seen Comcast get a lot of heat from some other people on different forums, though, so the service could be better in my area than others.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
          I have Comcast, have had it for some time, and I absolutely love it. It's not cheap, but if you're already going to have Comcast for internet, I really see no benefit to not getting the Triple Play. My internet is sooo fast, and it seems every year or so they bump it up a little bit. I can download about 10MB/sec, so it's very hard to tap out even when you're streaming a few things at once.

          I've seen Comcast get a lot of heat from some other people on different forums, though, so the service could be better in my area than others.
          I get 50MB/sec with Mediacom though I pay for a premium package.

          Most people I know hate Comcast. So you and Humcalc are a rare breed from what I've heard.

          But I've never had them so can't say one way or the other.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            I currently do the Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Netflix. Hulu mostly for me and my wife and Netflix for the kids and Prime because we usually order from Amazon.




            Adopted Broncos:
            (2011-2013) Eric Decker
            (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
            (2019-Current) Drew Lock
            Adopted posters:
            Everyone

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
              I get 50MB/sec with Mediacom though I pay for a premium package.

              Most people I know hate Comcast. So you and Humcalc are a rare breed from what I've heard.

              But I've never had them so can't say one way or the other.
              Is that like a 400 mbit connection? That seems rather unnecessary unless you work from home sending lots of data

              Most people I know don't like Comcast either, idk. Really the only thing that sets them apart for me is that they're the only company I've been with that has uncapped monthly usage, I sometimes go through 500gb/mo, I'd die if I had to pay an overage.

              I also kind of live in the boonies, and my only other option would be lolVerizon lolDSL. So I guess it worked out ok.

              I'm probably wasting a lot of money, because I barely ever use my landline, and only watch TV on TV a couple times a week.
              Last edited by theMileHighGuy; 02-26-2015, 03:10 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                i haven't had cable/dish for almost 10 years. my computer is connected to my TV and surround sound so between watching streams on the internet and netflix, i don't need anything.

                i don't watch a lot of TV to begin with anyways (an hour or two per day at most) and if its football i either go to a friends house, go to the bar, or find a stream on the internet as last resort.

                thats what i do and it works for me.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                  i haven't had cable/dish for almost 10 years. my computer is connected to my TV and surround sound so between watching streams on the internet and netflix, i don't need anything.

                  i don't watch a lot of TV to begin with anyways (an hour or two per day at most) and if its football i either go to a friends house, go to the bar, or find a stream on the internet as last resort.

                  thats what i do and it works for me.
                  I'm just the opposite. I watch TV 14 (or so) hours a day
                  "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
                    Is that like a 400 mbit connection? That seems rather unnecessary unless you work from home sending lots of data

                    Most people I know don't like Comcast either, idk. Really the only thing that sets them apart for me is that they're the only company I've been with that has uncapped monthly usage, I sometimes go through 500gb/mo, I'd die if I had to pay an overage.

                    I also kind of live in the boonies, and my only other option would be lolVerizon lolDSL. So I guess it worked out ok.

                    I'm probably wasting a lot of money, because I barely ever use my landline, and only watch TV on TV a couple times a week.
                    I'm confused I thought we were talking about download speed not upload speed. My upload is only like 10MB/Sec.

                    I do the higher package for gaming. I was tired of dealing with major lag on TitanFall and Madden. After I upgraded I never had any lag on Titanfall again. It's also rare on madden unless the other user is very laggy and that's on them.

                    I also was getting horrible video streaming from apps like Netflix and hbo go. Now they all run in HD smoothly.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      what packages do you run with comcast or others?
                      cost?

                      we have amazon prime and was thinking that and netflix. sports though would be a big thing.

                      we are probably gonna pick up an xbox 1 to run it through..

                      and thanks for the thoughts!
                      Glen Haven Fire

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My Directv package is $117 a month with Showtime added. Severely overpriced for the amount and channels we watch. Which is why I plan to cut in August. They also don't offer AT&T internet in our area so a combined package is not an option.

                        I pay $60 a month for the premium internet package through Mediacom. And it's light years better than Wow where I paid $33 a month for the base package.

                        So combined it's $175 a month.

                        When I cut the cord and go to online streaming it will be under $90 a month. Huge difference.

                        I would be cautious on the Xbox 1 for Sunday ticket though. Unless you meant for streaming in which it's great for that. But for Sunday ticket I was looking at my X1 as a possible replacement. However I was reading this week that supposedly if Directv is an option in your area which for me it obviously is then the Sunday Ticket app won't work on the X1. They want you to subscribe to Directv. I'm going to have to look into that more before I cut the service.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I cut the cord in August 2014 (Directv for 4 years and cable before that). I haven't missed it one bit. We hardly ever watched live tv anyways so Netflix and HuluPlus have been more than enough. We have the local channels through an antenna and a little standalone box I bought of amazon that actually works great with the Xbox One (voice commands, OneGuide, etc).

                          I do Bing Rewards so don't even pay for HuluPlus, just doing searches every morning has got me paid up on HuluPlus until November 2015. And that is something I just started doing 6 months ago. If anyone is interested they can use my referral link which gives me like 50 points for every person who reaches silver (420 points for a month of huluplus)

                          Bing Link

                          I've also been really lucky with ESPN. Since my internet is through ATT Uverse I just plugged my account info into the ESPN app on the Xbox One and can watch live ESPN streamed through the Xbox. I don't think it is supposed to work but did and watched the few Broncos games on ESPN last year.
                          sigpic
                          2012 Broncos Country Pick 'Em Challenge Champion

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                            I'm just the opposite. I watch TV 14 (or so) hours a day
                            well then, obviously it's more worth it for you to pay for cable or whatever you want to watch.

                            it really comes down to what fits your life style.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have Directv and have had it for 16 years. For me it's because of the sports packages. You'll hear horror stories for each provider, but I have never had an issue with Directv, I get good discounts on programming and equipment so I am not leaving them any time soon.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X