Ready Player One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready Player One

I've started reading the book, anyone else as excited about this as I am? I'm about 16ish chapters in so far and the trailer looks very interesting.

sigpic

Super excited, loved the book!
    sigpic
    BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Comment

I saw the trailer for this before Justice League and wasn't all that impressed. But I'll preface that with that I don't really understand what it's about? Some clarification would maybe help spark some interest. I know nothing of the book.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
        I saw the trailer for this before Justice League and wasn't all that impressed. But I'll preface that with that I don't really understand what it's about? Some clarification would maybe help spark some interest. I know nothing of the book.
        There is an extended trailer (about 4 minutes) that helps with that. I didn't have time to find it this morning. I'll attempt a relatively spoiler free synopsis

Basically, distant future, world is overcrowded and poverty is rampant. Poor people live in trailer home complexes called stacks (trailer homes, mounted on top of trailer homes stories high) Since life basically sucks and everyone is poor, people escape their crappy life by logging into a virtual reality world called the oasis, the creator of the oasis programmed an easter egg into the oasis so that once he dies, whoever is the first to find it inherits the multi-billion dollar company.

The main character is a gunter (egg hunter) he spends his spare time when he's not in school trying to research pop-culture from the 80s (it's 80's in the book, looks like 80's, 90's and 00's in the movie) to find clues regarding the egg. In the book the creator was obsessed with 80's culture as it is when he grew up.

Along with all the gunters, there are also paid hunters working for a company named ioi. They want to win inheritance of the company in order to monopolize it with ads and charge a monthly subscription fee. In a world of poverty, this would make it inaccessible to all but the elite. At the time of the book, it costs a quarter to sign up for the first time and the vr equipment is often given as part of entry into an online public school system (how the book/movie's protagonist gains access)
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
          There is an extended trailer (about 4 minutes) that helps with that. I didn't have time to find it this morning. I'll attempt a relatively spoiler free synopsis

Basically, distant future, world is overcrowded and poverty is rampant. Poor people live in trailer home complexes called stacks (trailer homes, mounted on top of trailer homes stories high) Since life basically sucks and everyone is poor, people escape their crappy life by logging into a virtual reality world called the oasis, the creator of the oasis programmed an easter egg into the oasis so that once he dies, whoever is the first to find it inherits the multi-billion dollar company.

The main character is a gunter (egg hunter) he spends his spare time when he's not in school trying to research pop-culture from the 80s (it's 80's in the book, looks like 80's, 90's and 00's in the movie) to find clues regarding the egg. In the book the creator was obsessed with 80's culture as it is when he grew up.

Along with all the gunters, there are also paid hunters working for a company named ioi. They want to win inheritance of the company in order to monopolize it with ads and charge a monthly subscription fee. In a world of poverty, this would make it inaccessible to all but the elite. At the time of the book, it costs a quarter to sign up for the first time and the vr equipment is often given as part of entry into an online public school system (how the book/movie's protagonist gains access)
          Thank you. That sounds a lot more interesting than I initially thought.
          sigpic

Comment

Thank you. That sounds a lot more interesting than I initially thought.
            The initial trailer (posted above) doesn't do much to convey the story, it's more for people who know the book to get them hyped up, the extended trailer gives a lot more details.

I'm reading the book right now and I'm really enjoying it so far.
            sigpic

Comment

The initial trailer (posted above) doesn't do much to convey the story, it's more for people who know the book to get them hyped up, the extended trailer gives a lot more details.

I'm reading the book right now and I'm really enjoying it so far.
              That was my main issue with the trailer is beyond looking like some big virtual reality game I had no clue what the purpose was supposed to be.
              sigpic

Comment

Honestly, I do not understand the excitement for this film.

To each their own, I guess.
                The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                  Honestly, I do not understand the excitement for this film.

To each their own, I guess.
                  Have you read the book?
                  sigpic

Comment

Have you read the book?
                    Nope, and not my type of thing.

First I’ve ever heard of it was the trailer and it just doesn’t interest me. I just don’t understand the excitement for it nor why a big director like Spielberg signed on.

It looks like they spent a ton of money on it as they are using character from numerous different films in it (I think I saw the Delorian from Back to the Future, I saw Freddy Krueger in it, and others). The rights to all of that did not come cheap. It looks to me like some pet oroject someone threw a ton of money at and I just don’t get it.

It looks to me like another John Carter. The same thing with this “A Wrinkle in Time” (although that one I have heard of before).

Comment

Nope, and not my type of thing.

First I’ve ever heard of it was the trailer and it just doesn’t interest me. I just don’t understand the excitement for it nor why a big director like Spielberg signed on.

It looks like they spent a ton of money on it as they are using character from numerous different films in it (I think I saw the Delorian from Back to the Future, I saw Freddy Krueger in it, and others). The rights to all of that did not come cheap. It looks to me like some pet oroject someone threw a ton of money at and I just don’t get it.

It looks to me like another John Carter. The same thing with this “A Wrinkle in Time” (although that one I have heard of before).
                      If you'd read the book you'd understand. It is a cult classic and has a huge following. It will be a very very interesting movie. Reading the book also helps you in understanding why so many pop culture references are present (as they were present in the book as well)
                      sigpic

Comment

Seems like a lot of odd complaining if you don't know any of the story behind why the film is being made. It's like me going in the Star Wars thread and trying to bash it to all the Star Wars geeks just because it's not my thing. When it clearly appeals to a lot of people. Just because I don't understand it doesn't mean it doesn't make sense to a mass of people. Especially if it's based on a popular book. I remember top of the thread I told Freyaka it didn't make sense to me either or interest me. But once I understood it's based on a popular book all the questioning of why stopped.

Also if they had the rights to list many of those characters in the book for pop culture it's probably not that costly to be allowed to use them in the movie. The special affects of it will cost a lot more than the rights to the characters.
                        sigpic

Comment

Seems like a lot of odd complaining if you don't know any of the story behind why the film is being made. It's like me going in the Star Wars thread and trying to bash it to all the Star Wars geeks just because it's not my thing. When it clearly appeals to a lot of people. Just because I don't understand it doesn't mean it doesn't make sense to a mass of people. Especially if it's based on a popular book. I remember top of the thread I told Freyaka it didn't make sense to me either or interest me. But once I understood it's based on a popular book all the questioning of why stopped.

Also if they had the rights to list many of those characters in the book for pop culture it's probably not that costly to be allowed to use them in the movie. The special affects of it will cost a lot more than the rights to the characters.
                          Hardly, the OP asked (paraphrasing):

“Is anyone else as excited for this as I am?!”

My answer (paraphrasing):

“No, I’m not interested in it. I don’t understand the hype around this film. It doesn’t interest me one bit.”

Am I bashing it? No, I’m stating my disinterest in it. Just because one is not interested in something does not mean they are “bashing it”. I’m not interested one bit.
                          Last edited by Charlie Brown; 01-13-2018, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Hardly, the OP asked (paraphrasing):

“Is anyone else as excited for this as I am?!”

My answer (paraphrasing):

“No, I’m not interested in it. I don’t understand the hype around this film. It doesn’t interest me one bit.”

Am I bashing it? No, I’m stating my disinterest in it. Just because one is not interested in something does not mean they are “bashing it”. I’m not interested one bit.
                            You went into way more detail than just saying you weren’t interested. You were bashing it. Play semantics all you want but you wrote a long post of complaints. Don’t act now like you were just answering his question.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X