Star Wars Last Jedi (Spoiler thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alec Guiness' lesser-known "Force Ghost" (as Jacob Marley in Scrooge) says

Merry Christmas and May The Force Be With Us All!

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
      I would have loved it if Chewie went ahead and ate his and really relished it, licking his fingers!
      That would have been the only improvement I could have suggested. But it's Disney now. Can't make the kiddies cry or sell toys that people eat in movies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rastic View Post
        That would have been the only improvement I could have suggested. But it's Disney now. Can't make the kiddies cry or sell toys that people eat in movies.
        I think it's funny when people say things like this yet ignore the fact that the prequels and return of the Jedi did these things long before Disney bought star wars

Comment

• Originally posted by captainbronco View Post
          I think it's funny when people say things like this yet ignore the fact that the prequels and return of the Jedi did these things long before Disney bought star wars
          Lucas is a different animal from Disney. He was a visionary with his own stories that he wanted to tell and his own specific ideas on how to do that. He was hellbent on seeing those through even when people around him criticized him and told him it could or should not be done. That said, Ewoks were not included solely as a toy marketing gimmick and background fluff for the kiddies as the porgs were. They had a role to play and Lucas thought it would be hilarious that big bad, high-tech, Empire troops were defeated by primitive teddy bears! That's his humor, replayed in Phantom Menace with goofy gungans vs. equally goofy battle droids. I don't think there was anything overtly cutesy in those though.

Comment

• Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
            Lucas is a different animal from Disney. He was a visionary with his own stories that he wanted to tell and his own specific ideas on how to do that. He was hellbent on seeing those through even when people around him criticized him and told him it could or should not be done. That said, Ewoks were not included solely as a toy marketing gimmick and background fluff for the kiddies as the porgs were. They had a role to play and Lucas thought it would be hilarious that big bad, high-tech, Empire troops were defeated by primitive teddy bears! That's his humor, replayed in Phantom Menace with goofy gungans vs. equally goofy battle droids. I don't think there was anything overtly cutesy in those though.
            Originally it was supposed to be wookies but lucas changed it. I'm pretty sure it was more catered towards kids since at the time there were a million ewok toys and like what 5 spin off cartoons and live action involving ewoks. It was still cutesy something Disney would have done

Comment

• Originally posted by captainbronco View Post
              Originally it was supposed to be wookies but lucas changed it. I'm pretty sure it was more catered towards kids since at the time there were a million ewok toys and like what 5 spin off cartoons and live action involving ewoks. It was still cutesy something Disney would have done
              Originally Han Solo was a green-gilled alien -- lots of things like that changed! All beside the point which is that Lucas was never the type to please markets or fans, he did things for himself because he wanted to, and he loves kids which is why he adopted like five! If the toy industry decided to make stuff from his movies then that's incidental, Lucas' goals were motivated creatively, not financially. Disney by contrast has a purely financial agenda, they bought Star Wars so they could make a boatload of cash off of it in every way that they can, and so TLJ is in part an intentional commercial for porg dolls.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                I love how after spending a total of what, 6 hours with these characters, we presume to know exactly how they would react now that we are back. It's a movie, and we only have a short snapshot of their lives. You wouldn't know someone you'd just met six hours ago well enough to say for sure how they'd react in a situation...If you can't take your expectations, sit them aside and just enjoy it for what it is, a fun movie with ties to an original favorite. I dunno... Everyone has their right to not enjoy it, and some of the complaints I agree with, but there are some of them that just seem silly such as that one.
                To you it may be silly. But character development is important to every story. Yes, after dealing with characters over 30+ years it is easy to tell how they would react. Luke and Han do not abandon their friends. In fact Luke and Han are so loyal to each other it is a fault of theirs. A fault that plays out numerous times where they have to rescue one another. Yes, they rescue one another and do not abandon them to their fates. They risk everything to help one another.

The Han and Luke of the sequal trilogy do not mesh with the Luke and Han of the original trilogy and the countless expanded universe (or as they are now known “Legends” characters).
                Last edited by Charlie Brown; 12-26-2017, 02:12 PM.
                The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

• i liked it but that was the weirdest star wars movie of all time.

oh and they did luke dirty, that is the only thing about the movie i truly didn't like. i would have rather luke turned to the dark side than reduced to that. i was actually hoping he would be the first gray jedi of the movie series, that would have been better too and different.

oh well, still a decent movie IMO
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                    To you it may be silly. But character development is important to every story. Yes, after dealing with characters over 30+ years it is easy to tell how they would react. Luke and Han do not abandon their friends. In fact Luke and Han are so loyal to each other it is a fault of theirs. A fault that plays out numerous times where they have to rescue one another. Yes, they rescue one another and do not abandon them to their fates. They risk everything to help one another.

The Han and Luke of the sequal trilogy do not mesh with the Luke and Han of the original trilogy and the countless expanded universe (or as they are now known “Legends” characters).
                    The legends characters are no longer cannon. If you are using non-cannon material to make you mind up about what a character will do, you're gonna have a bad time...
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                      The legends characters are no longer cannon. If you are using non-cannon material to make you mind up about what a character will do, you're gonna have a bad time...
                      If you’d rather stick with Disney’s Star Wars canon with material such as this:

I will happily side with Shadows of the Empire, Dark Empire, and Heir to the Empire over porgs.
                      The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                        If you’d rather stick with Disney’s Star Wars canon with material such as this:

I will happily side with Shadows of the Empire, Dark Empire, and Heir to the Empire over porgs.
                        Heaven forbid they write kids books....There are plenty of good adult tie in books as well, but no, lets just pick a kiddie book an use that as example of what the new cannon has to offer.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                          *steals Rastic's two cents*

*waves hand*

Nothing to see here....
                          I'd just like to point out the fact that Snoke's bodyguards used light-whips.... (I don't think they were actually made of the same stuff sabers are made of, but they can fight sabers with them.)

When I saw that, I got so giddy with satisfaction, remembering you and Jet making fun of me for wanting Tyr to have a light-whip.
                          sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
                            I'd just like to point out the fact that Snoke's bodyguards used light-whips.... (I don't think they were actually made of the same stuff sabers are made of, but they can fight sabers with them.)

When I saw that, I got so giddy with satisfaction, remembering you and Jet making fun of me for wanting Tyr to have a light-whip.
                            I thought of you! Well, and Lumiya...

Thanks, Reid!
                            sigpic
                            Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Working...
                            X