Best movie of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
    Citizen Kane was another great technical acheivement. I didn't care much for the story or Kane himself. The best thing about the whole story is the end. The technical side was where it shined. The deep focusing and forced perspective. Personally, I can see it as a great film then but it has lost something because of time. Just so much more has been done, it takes away from Citizen Kanes achievment.
    I guess I never thought of that. I always think of them, when ranking, as relative to their period.

So, that means, to me, Kane was so far ahead of its contemporaries in terms of technical stiuff, and in terms of the subject, than most good films are ahead today.

To me, its analagous to the first time someone played an electric guitar. It was like "Oh snap, its a whole new ballgame....throw all the rules out of the window"

or, to be slightly more contemporary, when Hendrix played at Woodstock "How in the hell is that sound coming from that instrument? I didn't KNOW it was capable of that."

Re-writing the rules, so to speak.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
    You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
      I guess I never thought of that. I always think of them, when ranking, as relative to their period.

So, that means, to me, Kane was so far ahead of its contemporaries in terms of technical stiuff, and in terms of the subject, than most good films are ahead today.

To me, its analagous to the first time someone played an electric guitar. It was like "Oh snap, its a whole new ballgame....throw all the rules out of the window"

or, to be slightly more contemporary, when Hendrix played at Woodstock "How in the hell is that sound coming from that instrument? I didn't KNOW it was capable of that."

Re-writing the rules, so to speak.
      Yeah, it's really hard to judge.

I guess I was thinking when you say "Best of ALL TIME" then you have to put them all on the same playing field. Basically, imagine if every movie was made at the same time. Take away the context of the period. Which one would be the best then? It might not be fair to do that.

I don't know.

Comment

Yeah, it's really hard to judge.

I guess I was thinking when you say "Best of ALL TIME" then you have to put them all on the same playing field. Basically, imagine if every movie was made at the same time. Take away the context of the period. Which one would be the best then? It might not be fair to do that.

I don't know.
        Hmm.....well, it is an opinion. I was re-iterating my position because I felt that someone was basically saying that I copied the list. But some of the movies I listed aren't there.

I am well aware that most under 40 or 50 haven't seen Kane, but I still think it is damn near perfect.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
        You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
          Hmm.....well, it is an opinion. I was re-iterating my position because I felt that someone was basically saying that I copied the list. But some of the movies I listed aren't there.

I am well aware that most under 40 or 50 haven't seen Kane, but I still think it is damn near perfect.
          There's ALOT of things done in Kane that wasn't ever done before.

Almost an overload for the time. That's why it got that reputation through the years. When people recognized all the little things Wells put into it.

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean.

I think Lord of the Rings is some the most overrated movies ever made.

It's boring and I care nothing about the characters. It is a great technical acheivment but it is far from some of the best movies ever made.

Give me the Indiana Jones Trilogy over it any day.
            I forgot about Lord of the Rings. What a technical, film-making breakthrough these three movies are. They are the modern day Star Wars. They've done for film today what Star Wars did for it in the 70s...

They have to be long because they actually attempted to keep the story remotely close to the book series...and I think they acheived where so many other film-from-book movies have failed.

I hadn't even been interested in LOTR and when I saw the movies, I thought they were spectacular. The film-making and the music, and cinimatography blew me away. (That is also why I enjoy Gladiator so much).
            sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
              Best movie of all time? Wow! There's a lot of good movies out there........

I'll go with;

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

The old trekker in me peeking out today! lol

http://www.khaaan.com/

Comment

My personal favorite is the english speaking version of Das Boot (1981) with Jürgen Prochnow. There's many different versions of this movie but the one that's 4 hours and 35 minutes long is exceptional. The Director, Wolfgang Petersen, does a phenomenal job of making a very captivating movie - quite a feat when 95% of the movie is filmed on a submarine.

Comment

Working...
                X