Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lifetime: Television for women

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lifetime: Television for women

    Did you ever notice that there are absolutely zero positive, strong, protagonistic characters who are male on Lifetime?
    I understand that it is most definately "television for women". The issue that I have with Lifetime is that it reinforces a negative opinion of men repeatedly to the women who watch it.
    I will venture to say that almost all male characters on Lifetime are indeed portrayed as negative, flawed or weak.
    My wife absorbs this garbage, which is why I feel like an authority on the channel.
    I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

  • #2
    Originally posted by Big Bad John
    Did you ever notice that there are absolutely zero positive, strong, protagonistic characters who are male on Lifetime?
    I understand that it is most definately "television for women". The issue that I have with Lifetime is that it reinforces a negative opinion of men repeatedly to the women who watch it.
    I will venture to say that almost all male characters on Lifetime are indeed portrayed as negative, flawed or weak.
    My wife absorbs this garbage, which is why I feel like an authority on the channel.

    Televison is merely a reflection of those who program it.

    News flash: Most women do percieve all men as flawed or weak. WHy do you think they try so hard to 'change' us?

    This is why I married a woman who was very into her career. Strong intellect and good logic skills, like me. She is not interested in changing me, she just wants someone to support her emotionally. She has no time for makeovers or any of that BS. SAhe thinks Lifetime is crap. She thinsks the female characters are all bad judges of relationships, since they always seem to be in dysfunctional ones.

    Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

    The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
    You should check these guys out

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jared
      Televison is merely a reflection of those who program it.

      News flash: Most women do percieve all men as flawed or weak. WHy do you think they try so hard to 'change' us?
      That is so TRUE....and so funny too! After they put all of their time and energy into changing us.....10 years down the road, they come to you and say "you aren't the same person I married 10 years ago"!! Well, no shyt...how do you think I got this way?? LOL!!
      Last edited by SixxGunz; 03-04-2005, 03:03 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Big Bad John,

        I feel for you man, my fiance does the same damn thing, and she expects me to watch it with her. I've already told her it will be a cold day in hell before that happens. I can't stand the crap and don't know why anybody would want to watch it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Big Bad John
          Did you ever notice that there are absolutely zero positive, strong, protagonistic characters who are male on Lifetime?
          I understand that it is most definately "television for women". The issue that I have with Lifetime is that it reinforces a negative opinion of men repeatedly to the women who watch it.
          I will venture to say that almost all male characters on Lifetime are indeed portrayed as negative, flawed or weak.
          My wife absorbs this garbage, which is why I feel like an authority on the channel.
          Turn on the Spike network and tell me if you see positive reinforcement in the form of strong female figures....all you'd find are big boobs lol.

          "The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Big Buck 1981
            Big Bad John,

            I feel for you man, my fiance does the same damn thing, and she expects me to watch it with her. I've already told her it will be a cold day in hell before that happens. I can't stand the crap and don't know why anybody would want to watch it.


            I don't mind indoctrination in more subtle, subliminal forms. I guess the blatant nature of the programming puts me in a state of awe. I can watch anything, even if it's outright BS. (OK, maybe not Fox News)
            It's just a sad sentiment concerning our society. It is entirely bothersome to me that seperatism can be preached so readily and stereotypes given creedence by an entire network. (See FNC once again)
            I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
              Turn on the Spike network and tell me if you see positive reinforcement in the form of strong female figures....all you'd find are big boobs lol.


              Big boobs are symbols of power and influence. Wouldn't you agree?
              I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

              Comment


              • #8
                This thread is so damn true. I swear every movie has some man that cheats on and beats his wife, then something(s) that make the female watching it cry. What is it with women who love movies that make them cry?
                My other love...
                sigpic
                305 HP / 273 TQ / SH-AWD / 6MT

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Chronic_Toker
                  This thread is so damn true. I swear every movie has some man that cheats on and beats his wife, then something(s) that make the female watching it cry. What is it with women who love movies that make them cry?


                  Sharing emotion which is not a negative in my book.

                  I just have an issue with the repeated lack of character development in these movies and drama series. I should also add that the movies are more sappy and not as blatant as the original series programming. (Any day now, Strong Medicine)
                  I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Chronic_Toker
                    This thread is so damn true. I swear every movie has some man that cheats on and beats his wife, then something(s) that make the female watching it cry. What is it with women who love movies that make them cry?
                    I agree, it sure isn't a very cheery channel is it??
                    I prefer the Sci-fi channel to Lifetime any day.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JoviBronco
                      I prefer the Sci-fi channel to Lifetime any day.


                      If I must be indoctrinated, I choose MTV at least you see a nice looking piece of tail every 5 seconds.
                      I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        BBJ I also agree with you, although my girlfriend does not watch that crap. She is a General Hospital girl. And of course I have to watch it, well I dont have to but it's on the TV no matter my opinion (It's her house). On the other hand, I use to have a girlfriend who watch that sh*t and I use to think the exact same thing. I brought it up to her too and she said they do that just to make women feel good and show that men could be a lot worse than we are. So as long as you do not act the way the people do on the show, then it works in your benefit.
                        ---IZAAK

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I just wish they'd change MTV's name to "NRTV" for "Non-Reality Television" because they sure as heck don't play music anymore. That way they could change MTV2 to just plain MTV.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Big Buck 1981
                            I just wish they'd change MTV's name to "NRTV" for "Non-Reality Television" because they sure as heck don't play music anymore. That way they could change MTV2 to just plain MTV.

                            AMEN
                            ---IZAAK

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X