Why can't you appreciate Rap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Booher
    I hear ya.......whats worse is when your pumping gas and some ass decides to keep his crap errrrr I mean rap music playing at 100 decibels.....

You should do what I did once...

I was at Wal-Mart and I just pulled in, got out of my car and realized that the mental-midget that parked 2 cars down left his car running with the stereo blazing. Coincidentally, he was blaring rap music. I simply reached into the open driver side window and turned it off.
    I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bad John

You should do what I did once...

I was at Wal-Mart and I just pulled in, got out of my car and realized that the mental-midget that parked 2 cars down left his car running with the stereo blazing. Coincidentally, he was blaring rap music. I simply reached into the open driver side window and turned it off.
      Then someone yells 'He's stealing my ride, yo!' and BBJ is in a spot of trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by EMCF
        Then someone yells 'He's stealing my ride, yo!' and BBJ is in a spot of trouble.

And I say, No I was just turning down your obnoxious stereo, is there a problem? There usually isn't...

I mean c'mon, what Police Officer would hassle me for that?
        I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

Comment

what you do is turn the car off and hide the keys under the passenger's seat. it gets em every time.
          Superintendent Chalmers: "Thank the Lord"? That sounded like a prayer. A prayer in a public school. God has no place within these walls, just like facts don't have a place within an organized religion."

Comment

I think that it may be a confidence thing. I find that a fair portion of "minstream american society" do not like to see confidence in young black men. The music is most definately a confidence booster.

Comment

There is some rap I really like, but for the most part, I just can't get into it. I just grew up listening to other stuff. It's more the R&B and Sould stuff that I don't like. There are some songs by Cypress Hill, NWA, and The Roots I like though. I think the only thing I listen to on a regular basis though that could be classified as rap is RATM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bad John
                I noticed a fair portion of you guys on the music survey threads have a disdain for Rap music. Why do you dislike it so much? Is it that you can't relate to it? I'll bet that you can
                I am very curious to see what responses come from this. I expect to see some really good ones too, as many of you are of above average intelligence, IMO.

Because not every black guy is a Gangsta or a P.I.M.P and gonna go out and shoot em up....like they all say.
                Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

My take on rap (the quick think version):

Rap, like most forms of music originates from poetry. Or a form thereof.

It's not the rap I hate, it's the rappers, the lifestyle, and the overall rediculousness of it all.

Rockers don't usually kill each other....they don't write songs about how much they hate each other either. They don't do drive bys and create media frenzies because Aerosmith didn't like Metallica or something so they shot each other...

You see? it's all gotten out of hand...Gansta Rap is the most rediculous bull**** I've ever heard or witnessed. That' basically why I hate rap. I hate that every other word in their songs is the f-word and they're all about battering women and treating people like crap...

You'd think rappers could come up with catchy, thoughtful lyrics, but they can't...they just pick whatever rhymes with b itch and ho and go for it.

Personally I think it's all wasted talent (what few actually possess it). I agree with whoever said it's all basically taking other songs and re-mixing them and talking fast to them.

It's not real music to me...if it were in its pure, poetic form it would be.

I remember when it was all clean fun with Will Smith, MC Hammer, Young MC and all those guys...but no....now they all kill each other and fight with the other side of the industry.
                  sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Most rap today lacks originality. Sure there is that once-in-a-great-while song that actually says something, but for the most part, rap today is same ol', same ol'. My best case in point, the best selling rapper right now is, I believe, 50 Cent. All of his songs seem to have 2 central themes, shootin' somebody or gettin' freaky. Now don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with either one , but I don't think I'm alone when I say that 'Candyshop' and 'Magic Stick' sound like the same stinkin' song. I also don't like all of the boasting that goes on. It's like, "Way to go, you took money from a teenager, like that was tough."

I really believe as far as originality and pure energy goes, it doesn't get better than rock. I can't seem to get my day started without a heavy dose of "Get the **** up or I'll kick you in the gut" rock! If it's a good song, it's better than coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco
                      Rockers don't usually kill each other
                      Nah, they usually just find ways to kill themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by EMCF
                        Nah, they usually just find ways to kill themselves.

Yeah I almost added that little detail but I figured everyone knew that already hahaha.
                        sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

I am drawn to the music when I listen to a song, not the lyrics. With rap, it's all about lyrics, as it is with most mainstream music.

Comment

i think its important to address what is rap and what is hip-hop.
                            a lot of bands/artists rap and they aren't hip-hop. rap is a lyricists vocal style / way of verbally communicating. for instance that guy who used to lead Rage Against the Machine rapped, Limp Bizkit ( ) raps, sublime had a few, P.O.D raps some, etc. but i would never label their music hip-hop.

true elements of hip-hop are dj-ing, emcee-ing, graff-writing, break.

thats why you might hear others (myself included) say 50 cent, Nelly, Ja Rule its not true hip-hop. i hate commercial rap, which is what those clowns are.
                            simple minded music that deals with money, violence, disrespecting women, bling crap, cars and their ridiculous wheels.

i can see why some say they hate rap. i dont care how many hoes you say you have, how much crystal you drink, or what rented cars you have in your video. if i had kids i'd be concerned with what was being pumped into their ears.

anybody looking for some true hip-hop without that nonsense here are some:
                            Little Brother, Sage Francis, Visionaries, Talib Kweli, Living Legends, J-live, Madvillain, MF Doom, Hieroglyphics, LMNO

-peace
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverFanInGB
                              You just said it.
                              Read much? Generally... it generally pertains to their culture.

Comment

I like some rap. I was really into it in the '80's and early '90's when I was younger and it was new. Then around the mid '90's it took a nose dive and I personally blame P. Diddy for ruining rap. He turned it into a fashion show where the video was more important than the content of the lyrics.

Rap was originally a medium for blacks and others to express their frustrations and voice their view of the world. It seems now it's turned into a medium for millionaire producers to tell us all about their cars and money. There's still some good stuf out there, but you have to look for it for the most part. Puff Daddy and MTV have pretty much ruined rap for me though.

Comment

Working...
                                X