Favorite T.V show thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JWinn
    But they do have a lot of shows that seem aimed right at him. They also show commercials during those times for little kids, toys, etc.

I'll tell you the thing that really gets me about Cartoon Network. I'll probably get flammed for it, but here goes........

They air Christian Music ads. I understand that they have to air somewhere, and that the network makes money thru advertising, but it's clear they aim these at children who will go to their parents and beg for the CD. They air happy little songs that appeal to kids who do not understand what their true aim is. When you have commercials like this between one for Barbie & one for some toy, I just get a little angry, lol.

As someone who actually understands media commercial buying and creation, I would say that it is not the networks job to decide that certain clients don't get air time (unless it doesn't meet broadcast or FCC standards of course, or you are a privatley owned station with a specific mission and the product in question goes against that mission statement). At a corporately owned station, if a client has a legit product and is willing to spend the money to advertise on your station, they literally own that 60 seconds of air time. It would be unfair to say "well, we don;t want to take your money, only money from OTHER groups who want to try and convince kids to have their parenst buy stuff."

As far as products go, there are worse things out there to buy.

And quite frankly, the parenst still gets the decision as to where the money get spent.

I see it is as no different than advertising for toys that you may have an issue with.

A TV or radio station's primary goal it to remain profitable. Yes, its great to have a kid safe network, and the CEO can truly have that at his personal ideal. But he can't bring that fruition unless he makes money. Cold hard truth.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
    You should check these guys out

Comment

no way i can pick a favorite. have you seen "deadliest catch" on the discovery channel? its a great documentary style show about the most dangerous job - crab fishermen in alaska (average of 1 dies per week). its on now actually (currently 8:37 est) and the new episode comes on at 9:00 est.
      sigpic
      go broncos
      share the sidewalk
      liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
        As someone who actually understands media commercial buying and creation, I would say that it is not the networks job to decide that certain clients don't get air time (unless it doesn't meet broadcast or FCC standards of course, or you are a privatley owned station with a specific mission and the product in question goes against that mission statement). At a corporately owned station, if a client has a legit product and is willing to spend the money to advertise on your station, they literally own that 60 seconds of air time. It would be unfair to say "well, we don;t want to take your money, only money from OTHER groups who want to try and convince kids to have their parenst buy stuff."

As far as products go, there are worse things out there to buy.

And quite frankly, the parenst still gets the decision as to where the money get spent.

I see it is as no different than advertising for toys that you may have an issue with.

A TV or radio station's primary goal it to remain profitable. Yes, its great to have a kid safe network, and the CEO can truly have that at his personal ideal. But he can't bring that fruition unless he makes money. Cold hard truth.
        Yeah, I understand that it's a business decision and that I as the parent decide where to spend the money.

But I notice that I never see those commercials anywhere else but childrens programming. They know there are lots of people who will give in to their kids demands with the figuring of its only another 20 bucks. But I didnt, and we had a long talk about it.

All that aside, if I am the GM of a network, and they come to me and want to buy airtime, I sell it to them. That's my job! I know the the network has nothing to do with the commercials, I just wish the advertisers in question would try it somewhere else than during shows my kid is watching!

Comment

The Simpsons
          Seinfeld
          Curb Your Enthusiasm (Crazy Eyes Killa might just be the best episode of any t.v. show i've ever seen)
          Food Network
          Discovery and National Geographic channels
          Sportscenter

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Broncos TV is mine and I waould have to say when ever i can watch The Simpsons or Family Guy I watch them.

Comment

Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
              The Simpsons
              Seinfeld
              Curb Your Enthusiasm (Crazy Eyes Killa might just be the best episode of any t.v. show i've ever seen)
              Food Network
              Discovery and National Geographic channels
              Sportscenter

I was going to give you a CP for "Curb Your Enthusiasm", but I have to spread them around.
              "Oh I Have Slipped The Surly Bonds of Earth... Put Out My Hand And Touched the Face of God"

-Rest In Peace, Darrent & Damien

Comment

My life has been reduced to ESPN News and CNN...
                I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

Comment

Thanks BBJ, I forgot!!! What a shmuck, huh? lol

CNN Headline News with Linda Stouffer! Actually, any reporter, lol. At least threee times a day!

Comment

"Curb Your Enthusiasm" is clearly the best TV show on, period.

For my cartoon, I would have to say "King of the Hill".
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
                      Thanks BBJ, I forgot!!! What a shmuck, huh? lol

CNN Headline News with Linda Stouffer! Actually, any reporter, lol. At least threee times a day!

Mmmm...Linda Stouffer....rrrrooooowww...I saw her the other day and thought of you Mr. Winn..
                      I've walked these streets, a loaded six-string on my back, I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back, I've been everywhere still I'm standin' tall, I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all!!:salute!:

Comment

Firefly
                        Deep Space Nine
                        Buffy the Vampire Slayer
                        Angel
                        The New Battlestar Galactica (About 1000 times better than the old one)
                        Seinfeld
                        Survivor
                        Friends
                        Star Trek: The Next Generation
                        Freaks and Geeks
                        Curb your Enthusiasm
                        South Park
                        The Simpsons
                        Smallville
                        Transformers: Generation One
                        Babylon 5
                        Mr. Show
                        Mystery Science Theater 3000

Comment

I thought we were coo-day-la?

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Simpsons
                            Family Guy
                            King of Queens
                            Sportscenter

I'm a big fan of comedies, but I need my fair share of Sportscenter too.

I don't know what it is but I can watch an entire Broncos game, then watch the highlights every time they come on SC and never get tired of seeing them (that is of course if we won).
                            My other love...
                            sigpic
                            305 HP / 273 TQ / SH-AWD / 6MT

Comment

The Sopranos
                              Seinfeld
                              Coach
                              Chappelle's Show

Comment

Just about every version of Star Trek, DS9 was the best
                                M*A*S*H
                                Babylon 5
                                Cheers
                                Battlestar Galactica (Both old and new - the old one wasn't as bad as I feared when I got it on DVD & the new one is fantastically darker)
                                The X-Files
                                Doctor Who (my favourite doctor was Tom Baker in the 70's, Peter Davidson wasn't bad, Colin Baker & Sylvester McCoy stank but the new one is pretty good)
                                Blakes 7 - Late 70's, early 80's BBC series
                                Red Dwarf - BBC Sci-Fi Comedy
                                V - The original miniseries & 'The Final Battle' were pretty good, but the 3rd series lost it's way (quite) a bit.
                                Space Above And Beyond - Only lasted a single season, but I thought it was quite good
                                Hill Street Blues
                                Taxi
                                Black Adder - Another BBC comedy, starring Rowan 'Mr Bean' Atkinson. 4 series, each set over a different time periods, very funny.
                                Sledge Hammer! - 80's wacky copy show, taking pot shots at everything from Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry (the title role) to movies such as Witness, To Sir with Love, Robocop.
                                Miami Vice - I loved this back in the eighties, seemed to bring a real 'movie' quality to TV, fantastic soundtrack.
                                Hustle - Another BBC series, I don't know if it's made it to the US yet. Basically it's a very slick thriller about a team of conartists, including Robert 'Napoleon Solo' Vaughn.

Monday (and Sunday after the World Series) Night Football.

Finally, i don't now if this counts as I only saw it on DVD - Firefly
                                As you can see, I spend a lot of time watching re-runs, IMO the majority of TV is absolute tat.
                                The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
                                BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
                                You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Working...
                                X