Star Wars books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars books

I've read on this board that there are some star wars books, i'havent saw it here, you who know , can u give me some imnfo please?

"The man of knowledge must be able not only to love his enemies but also to hate his friends."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

There are many Star Wars books. You can find them just about anywhere.

My favorite of them all are the following:

The Heir to the Empire series by Timothy Zahn
    The series consists of:
    Part One: Heir To The Empire
    Part Two: Dark Force Rising
    Part Three: The Last Command

This series is about Grand Admiral Thrawn and his teaming with a mad Jedi Master and his invasion of the New Republic. Involved are the Classical Star Wars Characters: Luke, Leia, Han etc... takes place about 20 years after Return of the Jedi ( This series is a MUST READ )

another book that was pretty good was:

The Truce at Bakura by Kathy Tyers

This book is immediately after Return of the Jedi. In this book an Imperial Planet (Bakura) is under seige by an unknown Alien Race. The Imperials believe the Emperor is still alive and the message was meant to him. However Luke and the Rebellion (now called the New Republic) lead a rescue mission to defeat thsi common enemy. The Imperials of Bakura sign a treaty with the New Republic and agree to join them.

The Truce at Bakura was a fair book .. not too bad.
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

I agree with the Zahn triology. A must read in the expanded universe books. Most likely what Lucas would approve for a new trilogy, if he ever would do such a thing.

I can't remember the titles, but there is a trilogy where Luke attempts to set up a new Jedi Academy on Yavin-4, and discovers it was the very heart of an ancient Sith order. Lots of residual darkness. Given Luk's family history with the temptations of the dark side, it delves a lot into some his own demons regarding his feelings toward his father.

Also, there is a young recruit who ultimately gives in to the dark side and attempts to blow up an entire star system. He has the potential to be more powerful than Palpatine or Vader. He never achieves that potential.

That trilogy is set 5 or ten years after Zahn's, and I also suggest it as a good read. I would like THOSE to be made into movies. The Zahn ones make no sense now, because in the movie, you get the feeling the Empire was completely destroyed when Palpatine dies. Good books, but not sure the movie going public would buy it.

But the story of Luke ultimately attempting (and succeeding) in starting a new Jedi order, and having to have one last face off with a Sith, and discovering where the heart of Sith knowledge lies kind of wraps up the whole shebang and sets everything almost back to the way it was before Palpatine became a Senator. A strong republic, a Jedi Academy, and this time around, no Sith libraries for curious Jedi to get tempted with. I like the way that the son of the man who destroyed the Jedi gest to bring them back. Some sort of ultimate redpemtion or circle.

The actors from the original trilogy are all the right age to pull this one off, if they start filming soon.

A pipe dream, I know.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
      You should check these guys out

Comment

The trilogy Jedi Academi is done by Kevin J. anderson, that is my second favorite set of Star Wars books after Zahns trilogy. Anderson also wrote Dark Saber which is a good read.

Shadows of the Empire by Steve Perry isn't that bad either.

Can't remember but I believe there was another series by Zahn, two books about that followed up after the Heir to the Empire trilogy. I think one was called the Hand of Thrawn.
        The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

I'm reading "The Last Command" right now. I got these from the Sci Fi book club years a go, but just now got to them. Pretty good, but I think they are only a year or two after "Jedi". Leia is still pregnant with her twins.

Also, Zahn did write at least one more. I saw a guy at my kids Karate class reading one of them.

There are tons of Star Wars books. I even still see them in the small book section at the grocery store. Like Star Trek books, there are hundreds of them. Any book store should have a large section, especially now.

Comment

Thank you all for the info.

"The man of knowledge must be able not only to love his enemies but also to hate his friends."
            Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

you can probably buy them in any book store or online at www.amazon.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shaolin
                I've read on this board that there are some star wars books, i'havent saw it here, you who know , can u give me some imnfo please?
                Here's a list of all the Star Wars books and their chronological order:

http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/st.../timeline.html

I also recommend the Heir to the Empire trilogy by Timothy Zahn and The Truce at Bakura, as somebody else mentioned. They are tops on my list.

There is a 20 book series called The New Jedi Order of which I've only read about 10 so far. They seem really good overall.
                "You can't take the sky from me..."
                ------
                "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

The ones I've read:

Han Solo at Stars' End
                  Han Solo's Revenge
                  Han Solo and the Lost Legacy
                  Splinter of the Mind's Eye
                  Shadows of the Empire
                  The Truce at Bakura
                  The Courtship of Princess Leia
                  Heir to the Empire
                  Dark Force Rising
                  The Last Command
                  Specter of the Past
                  Vision of the Future
                  Jedi Search
                  Dark Apprentice
                  Champions of the Force
                  Darksaber
                  The Crystal Star
                  Ambush at Corellia
                  Assault at Selonia
                  Showdown at Centerpoint
                  Specter of the Past
                  Vision of the Future
                  The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

what are these books about?? do they have any major signifigance with the movies?
                    Go Broncos, Lakers, Angels!

Comment

Originally posted by Bellthebest
                      what are these books about?? do they have any major signifigance with the movies?

Not really.

They are known as the Extended Universe, among SW fans.

They fill in the gaps between the two movie trilogies, as well as going beyond "Return Of The Jedi". All approved by Lucas, just not written by him.

Comment

What happens after Retur Of the Jedi? accordin to the books?

Comment

Originally posted by Bellthebest
                          What happens after Retur Of the Jedi? accordin to the books?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...340315-5907859

Everything about all the books, including the movie adaptations.

Read and decide if you want to buy one.

Hope this helps.

(OK, oops. Not everything. But a good start!)

Comment

thanks for the info....this is pretty interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon

There is a 20 book series called The New Jedi Order of which I've only read about 10 so far. They seem really good overall.
                              If you read the entire NJO , it actually links back to a novel called Rogue Planet by Greg Bear, an Anakin & Obi-wan story set between The Phantom Menace & Attack of the Clones
                              Personally, I like pretty well all of the Expanded Universe novels, they've given extra depth to the original 'stars', filled out some of the seconday charecters such as Admiral Ackbar & Wedge Antilles and introduced some great new charecters such as Talon Karrde, Mara Jade & Grand Admiral Thrawn. Not too mention much more depth to races such as the Bothans & Mon Calamari. They've even managed to get away with killing an original cast member.

Continuity between the books is pretty good as well, especially considering novels are now being released in two timelines, during the prequel trilogy and I think they're now around 25 years after the original trilogy.

Hopefully George Lucas will use some of this as a basis for his 100-episode TV show.
                              The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
                              BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
                              You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Working...
                              X