Batman Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batman Begins

I just came from a midnight screening of the new Batman movie. It was deffenetly not cartoonish, more of a darker version of the dark knight. Not for the kids who scare easily. It was by far the best batman movie since the last one j/k it blows the others out of the water. If your a fan of great movies then you'll want to see this one.

The earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens
    Baha'u'llah

"Everyone takes turns making mistakes in poker. The trick is to skip your turn."
    Mike Caro

"The all-in play works every time but once"

You can observe a lot just by watching.
    Yogi Berra

every year.

Yes, I kinda knew it would.

I'll be watching it tonight.

Can't wait, I'll give my review either tongiht or tommorrow.

/^v^\

Comment

So it was great huh?

I wonder how The Scarecrow is in it.
      The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

My NON-SPOILER review of Batman Begins.

I could talk for hours about this new beginning for the Batman film franchise, but much of what I'd talk about would be lost on those of you who aren't comic book fans. So this review is for you casual viewers, who like Batman well enough but have never touched or maybe even seen a Batman comic book.

I'm not a believer in spoiling films or books or stories of any kind, so feel safe to keep reading. The only thing you need to know about the plot of Batman Begins is that it is the first live-action Batman film to actually make the characters of Bruce Wayne and The Batman the core focus of the film. This movie delivers exactly what it proclaims in its title: Batman Begins. We watch the tragic story of Bruce Wayne unfold, as he travels along a dark and brutal road to become The Batman, dark scourge of the unjust.

I'll say only two more things about this story and the tone of the film. The narrative and the look, feel, and tone of Batman Begins is serious and grounded in reality. Not a stylized or slightly-different reality that we might see around us if we just squint a little, but a dark, gritty, and yet vibrant world that is indeed ours. Gotham City in Batman Begins is in fact Chicago, with some digital enhancements. The Batman's outfit, gear, mode of operation, and even the Batmobile are all grounded solidly in believably authentic contexts. I won't spoil how and why that is, but let me just say that at no point did I ever scratch my head and say, "Now really, there's no way that could exist."

Finally, the story of Batman Begins is fascinating and engrossing. I honestly can't say that about any of the other Bat-films, which were entertaining in a farcical or fantastic sort of way. Screenwriter David Goyer and director Christopher Nolan have woven a story about living, breathing people, who we not only understand but care about. During one of the early scenes of the film, detailing the tragedy that befalls Bruce Wayne's parents, I found myself tearing up a bit at the plight of young Bruce. The story of this film is that well-written and human. This is not a movie about over-the-top or gaudy villains and their meaningless histrionics. Batman Begins is about Bruce Wayne's emotional, physical, psychological, and spiritual journey to becoming The Batman. You will feel for him and for those close to him and even for those who are at odds with him.

Even though this film is centered on the story of Bruce Wayne and The Batman, there remains room for a brilliant and talented supporting cast. Liam Neeson brings wonderful life to Ducard, Bruce Wayne's mentor. Michael Caine finally plays an Alfred Pennyworth who has more to say and do than just ask obvious questions of the hero and fetch tea and sandwiches. Morgan Freeman shines as Wayne Enterprises employee Lucius Fox, who is instrumental in the birth of The Dark Knight.

For me, though, the real magic of Batman Begins was in Christian Bale's performance as Bruce Wayne and The Batman. For the first time on screen, Bruce Wayne is a complex and intriguing character. Bale brilliantly nuances the two Bruce Waynes, one the bored and laxadaisacal playboy fop, the other, the brilliant and driven young man in search of a means to fight injustice. As The Batman, Bale explodes with energy and might. His Batman voice is a harsh whisper at some times, while at other times it bursts into an angry and vicious growl. This change in tone is essential for this portrayal of The Batman, who we only get small glimpses of in action. The Batman is more a feral and stalking creature than superhero, filmed and played like the monster in the first “Alien” film. This is how The Batman was first conceived way back in the late 40’s, a terrifying and brutal creature of the night. Additionally, Batman is called “The Batman,” as I refer to him here, which is in fact the full name of the character. Adding the article before “Batman” provides a mystique and dangerous edge to the character, and I’m glad that the filmmakers made certain that our hero is called “The Batman” throughout the film.

The action in Batman Begins is exciting but not overly showy or pretentious. This movie is about characters and their struggles and triumphs, not ill-conceived set pieces that ultimately fall flat and reek of too much CGI fakeness and bombast. That said, know that you action lovers out there will be very satisfied with the intelligent and explosive action, which is well-paced throughout.

My only problems with the film will be slight to those of you who are not avid readers of The Batman’s comic book adventures. One of the elements often overlooked about the character is that he has a keen intellect to match his superb physical prowess. The Batman was, from day one, intended to succeed Sherlock Holmes as The World’s Greatest Detective. In my opinion, we should’ve seen Bruce Wayne learning the ways of detection alongside martial arts combat, and The Batman should’ve had to show the mettle of his brilliant mind in unraveling the wrongdoing of his enemies. The other problem I had was a minor one, concerning the weapon of the villain towards the end of the film. I felt that such a device was out of place in an otherwise realistic and gritty film, and feel it could’ve been replaced with the other predicament which befalls the good people of Gotham and their gallant protector. These are small complaints, however, and in no way detract from this film.

To sum up, I can’t recommend Batman Begins enough. There weren’t enough people in attendance at the showing I went to, but I think the early hour and the day contributed to the small numbers. So please, get out there this weekend and enjoy Batman Begins. The final moments of the film lay the foundation for a follow-up or two in a sequence ripped from one of the greatest Batman stories ever told. Let’s make sure we get to see that fantastic sequel in a few years.

Benny

Comment

Gary Oldman is one of my favorite actors and he plays Chief Gordon in the film.

How is his performance? Compared to Pat Hingle that is. ( The one who played Gordon in the other Batman films. )
          The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Dawgfan
            Gary Oldman is one of my favorite actors and he plays Chief Gordon in the film.

How is his performance? Compared to Pat Hingle that is. ( The one who played Gordon in the other Batman films. )
            I don't remember the other chief Gordon's in the other movies (haven't seen the movies in so long) but I won't soon forget Oldmans performance in this one. As usually, he did a great job. I almost didn't recognize him when he first entered the movie.

The earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens
            Baha'u'llah

"Everyone takes turns making mistakes in poker. The trick is to skip your turn."
            Mike Caro

"The all-in play works every time but once"

You can observe a lot just by watching.
            Yogi Berra

every year.

Comment

Regarding TDK review.

I knwo of an favor the original Batman idea, as re-invigorated by Frank Miller in teh 80's in comics.

It sounds to me as if Bale nails what Wayne/Batman is supposed to be. A crime fighter, a physical terror in the night, but also, when you think about it, a sociopath on the level of the Punisher. Only he tries to avoid killing people, if he can.

This is why I like Keaton's performance of Batman in the Tim Burton original. Of all the movies, it is the only one where you kind of wonder "is this guy is one breath away from snapping?"

DOes that sound right?

I can't wait. I remember being blown away at how dark Burton's was, comapred to the 60's series and the Justice League cartoons of the 80's. He just always has that soft touch of fantsy or surrealism in all his one sounds like it is lacking that, for the better.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
              You should check these guys out

Comment

Its going to be a great movie.

Comment

I enjoyed it! Bale did a very fine job portraying bruce/batman. He had what kilmer and clooney lacked as the character and that was the fear, pain and depth that bruce is supposed to have. Realistically, if i was a baddie, i would most likely be afraid of bale with keaton at a close 2nd. Bruce's chemistry with alfred and gordon was respectfully well written. Caine and oldman nailed their roles.

Freeman's character was cool. Holmes role was good, as opposed to the lame love interests from the schumacher films. I liked neeson as ducard, he was a good adversary for batman. The only character i didn't care much for, was wantabee's character, he seemed like a waste imo. Hauer's character was good. Cillian's character had an eerieness about him, even when he wasn't as scarecrow he just looked eerie lol.

One of the nitpicks i've had about the film, was that the fighting scenes were shot too close up" Nolan and co. was enjoying that zoom control behind the camera quite a bit" lol. Hopefully in the sequel, the fighting scenes will be shot better.

The Batmobile is a beast! It was funny seeing bruce's expressions behind the wheel as he and lucius took it on a test drive.

I liked the look of gotham city in this movie, it was very slick and realistic looking.

Overall, i'm very pleased with the movie. It was very well written, and nolan's vision made it the most believable out of all the batfilms. And as a batfan, i eagerly look forward to seeing more of his vision in future installments of the franchise. Bring on the sequel!!

Comment

I just saw it today. No review, but I liked it!!

Comment

Great review Dark Knight.

I enjoyed Batman Begins a lot. I was very satisfied that it wasn't a cartoonish take on it, like all the rest, including the first Batman.

Although the original Batman was a great film when it first came out, I think its really dated by some of the gothy darkness (as opposed to the gritty darkness of Batman Begins.) The gothy feel that Tim Burton brought to Batman was really cool for about 5 years...but I can't watch it now without comparing it to movies from that same time period and/or Tim Burton, "The Crow" "Beetlejuice", "Edward Scissorhands"., etc.

Batman Begins isn't dated by rocksongs or mared by goofy rebellious scenes that seem very cliche to me such as destruction of paintings with spray paint... maybe thats something that is part of The Joker, but I think its just corny.

Definately the best Batman movie ever.

Comment

I assumed Benny would waste no time in seeing this...hehehe...

I'm right there with you so I'm not going to post some huge deal.

One aspect you failed in mentioning was the one key that can make or break a film regardless of how well-written it is.

The music. I really hadn't paid any attention to this before I saw it and as I watched, I was like: "Finally, a Batman without stupid music (Prince, etc...from the original and the rediculous music from the last attempts).

I can't believe they got Hans Zimmer to do this. And to team up with James Newton Howard is even better....of course, Howard must've been honored to be able to work with such a brilliant composer.

How can you go wrong when you take the composer of the greatest soundtrack ever recorded for the greatest movie ever made (Gladiator) and have him create the music for the greatest comic book/superhero ever? You can't...

I'm going to be taking my brother to see this movie either today or soon, and I will probably watch it again after that.

I told you guys I'd be able to tell you how this summer's movies are.

Batman Begins: A++
                        sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

The movie was phenominal!

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
                            My NON-SPOILER review of Batman Begins.

I could talk for hours about this new beginning for the Batman film franchise, but much of what I'd talk about would be lost on those of you who aren't comic book fans. So this review is for you casual viewers, who like Batman well enough but have never touched or maybe even seen a Batman comic book.

I'm not a believer in spoiling films or books or stories of any kind, so feel safe to keep reading. The only thing you need to know about the plot of Batman Begins is that it is the first live-action Batman film to actually make the characters of Bruce Wayne and The Batman the core focus of the film. This movie delivers exactly what it proclaims in its title: Batman Begins. We watch the tragic story of Bruce Wayne unfold, as he travels along a dark and brutal road to become The Batman, dark scourge of the unjust.

I'll say only two more things about this story and the tone of the film. The narrative and the look, feel, and tone of Batman Begins is serious and grounded in reality. Not a stylized or slightly-different reality that we might see around us if we just squint a little, but a dark, gritty, and yet vibrant world that is indeed ours. Gotham City in Batman Begins is in fact Chicago, with some digital enhancements. The Batman's outfit, gear, mode of operation, and even the Batmobile are all grounded solidly in believably authentic contexts. I won't spoil how and why that is, but let me just say that at no point did I ever scratch my head and say, "Now really, there's no way that could exist."

Finally, the story of Batman Begins is fascinating and engrossing. I honestly can't say that about any of the other Bat-films, which were entertaining in a farcical or fantastic sort of way. Screenwriter David Goyer and director Christopher Nolan have woven a story about living, breathing people, who we not only understand but care about. During one of the early scenes of the film, detailing the tragedy that befalls Bruce Wayne's parents, I found myself tearing up a bit at the plight of young Bruce. The story of this film is that well-written and human. This is not a movie about over-the-top or gaudy villains and their meaningless histrionics. Batman Begins is about Bruce Wayne's emotional, physical, psychological, and spiritual journey to becoming The Batman. You will feel for him and for those close to him and even for those who are at odds with him.

Even though this film is centered on the story of Bruce Wayne and The Batman, there remains room for a brilliant and talented supporting cast. Liam Neeson brings wonderful life to Ducard, Bruce Wayne's mentor. Michael Caine finally plays an Alfred Pennyworth who has more to say and do than just ask obvious questions of the hero and fetch tea and sandwiches. Morgan Freeman shines as Wayne Enterprises employee Lucius Fox, who is instrumental in the birth of The Dark Knight.

For me, though, the real magic of Batman Begins was in Christian Bale's performance as Bruce Wayne and The Batman. For the first time on screen, Bruce Wayne is a complex and intriguing character. Bale brilliantly nuances the two Bruce Waynes, one the bored and laxadaisacal playboy fop, the other, the brilliant and driven young man in search of a means to fight injustice. As The Batman, Bale explodes with energy and might. His Batman voice is a harsh whisper at some times, while at other times it bursts into an angry and vicious growl. This change in tone is essential for this portrayal of The Batman, who we only get small glimpses of in action. The Batman is more a feral and stalking creature than superhero, filmed and played like the monster in the first “Alien” film. This is how The Batman was first conceived way back in the late 40’s, a terrifying and brutal creature of the night. Additionally, Batman is called “The Batman,” as I refer to him here, which is in fact the full name of the character. Adding the article before “Batman” provides a mystique and dangerous edge to the character, and I’m glad that the filmmakers made certain that our hero is called “The Batman” throughout the film.

The action in Batman Begins is exciting but not overly showy or pretentious. This movie is about characters and their struggles and triumphs, not ill-conceived set pieces that ultimately fall flat and reek of too much CGI fakeness and bombast. That said, know that you action lovers out there will be very satisfied with the intelligent and explosive action, which is well-paced throughout.

My only problems with the film will be slight to those of you who are not avid readers of The Batman’s comic book adventures. One of the elements often overlooked about the character is that he has a keen intellect to match his superb physical prowess. The Batman was, from day one, intended to succeed Sherlock Holmes as The World’s Greatest Detective. In my opinion, we should’ve seen Bruce Wayne learning the ways of detection alongside martial arts combat, and The Batman should’ve had to show the mettle of his brilliant mind in unraveling the wrongdoing of his enemies. The other problem I had was a minor one, concerning the weapon of the villain towards the end of the film. I felt that such a device was out of place in an otherwise realistic and gritty film, and feel it could’ve been replaced with the other predicament which befalls the good people of Gotham and their gallant protector. These are small complaints, however, and in no way detract from this film.

To sum up, I can’t recommend Batman Begins enough. There weren’t enough people in attendance at the showing I went to, but I think the early hour and the day contributed to the small numbers. So please, get out there this weekend and enjoy Batman Begins. The final moments of the film lay the foundation for a follow-up or two in a sequence ripped from one of the greatest Batman stories ever told. Let’s make sure we get to see that fantastic sequel in a few years.

Benny
                            Where'd you get the critique from dk? Is there more on it, or was that the entire jest?
                            "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                            tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                            men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco
                              The music. I really hadn't paid any attention to this before I saw it and as I watched, I was like: "Finally, a Batman without stupid music (Prince, etc...from the original and the rediculous music from the last attempts).

Prince didn't actually write the soundtrack to the first Batman movie. Danny Elfman did. And given Tim Burtons trademark "goth with hints of camp" feel in all of his movies, I thought Elfman's score fit pretty well.

Prince did songs 'inspired by' the movie. He is such a weird dude. I thought only one tune mande the movie.

Maybe I am wrong, I haven't seen the darn thing in 16 years.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                              You should check these guys out

Comment

Working...
                              X