Tom Cruise is a nut job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sevenis7
    Yes, Cruise's antics of late have been a bit bizarre; however, I got to agree w/him on the whole Ritalin thing. It's scary how arbitrary the diagnosis of ADD is. ADD is NOT a "disease" just like Alcholism isn't a disease. We live in a society where personal responsibility has gone right out the window. While these diagnoses may soothe the consciences of the "afflicted" (It is, after all, not their fault that they don't pay attention, can't stop drinking, etc.), it also doesn't allow them to ever get "cured" (It's just a condition that they'll have to live with). THAT'S what Cruise was arguing on the "Xtra" interview: "Diseases" w/o cures are for the benefit of the pharmaceutical companies manufacturing drugs that allow you to "cope" but that never really cause the "disease" to go away. Paying attention is a LEARNED behavior. Drinking alcohol is a LEARNED behavior. Put the responibilty back on the individual. They have the power to change their own lives IF they're willing to do so.

I agree that ADD is overdiagnosed, but that is more a problem with schools pressuring doctors and parents, than the drug itself. because when given in cases where it is not actually needed, like any controlled drug, it can be very bad. Whne actually needed it can help.

But my point here is not about Ritalin. It is that Lauer asked a question about Cruise's public statements (unflattering ones) about Brooke Shields. Instead of answering the question, he attacks Lauer for asking the question, and calls him glib.

If he didn't like teh question, maybe he shouldn;t have said such weird things about Shields. Her decision to take anti-depressants (most likely not ritalin, since she is an adult) is her decision, not an opportunity for Tom Cruise to crucify her in the media.

He was there to promote a movie, not expound on his own personal crusade against psychiatry.

Ironically, if Cruise knew anything about history, Hubbard attempted to get a PHD in psychology, but shunned it when he couldn't publish his papers in professional journals, because his research methods did not pass the peer review stage. From 1930 to 1932 he attended George Washington University in Washington, D.C. Although Hubbard would later claim advanced degrees in the sciences and in civil engineering, his first year grade average was a D (below average). His second and final year was no better; he received a D in calculus and electrical and magnetic physics, and an F (failing) for molecular and atomic physics. He had no further formal education. (This info comes from Church of Scientology of California vs. Gerald Armstrong, Los Angeles Superior Court case no. C 420153.) He believed in a method of psychotherapy he concocted from various sources which he named "Dianetics". Dianetics is a form of regression therapy, if you have read the book. Regression therapy is used by psychologists and psychiatrists. That is what I find ironic.

Anyway, I do not know or care if Scientology is a cult or not. But I think Cruise's actions were no different than if another interviewee attacked Lauer for being divorced, based on his religious belief that it is wrong. It is just weird and from left field.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
    You should check these guys out

Comment

Tom Cruise filmed All the Right Moves like 5 minutes from my house. He is a beautiful and glorious man. The Scientology craze is a little scary, and Tom's about ready for his mid-life crisis... but he's still a cool dude. I think the Brooke Shields thing was more of a "Oh, look at me I'm a millionaire, my life's so bad let me take drugs to fix it 'cus I can't stand on my own feet" kinda thing. I think he was just trying to say that it's not ok to rely on a false crutch and people need to learn to just get ahold of themselves. But he probably wasn't trying to say that at all, and that's just me talking through Tom Cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared

So now he knows more than doctors about clinical depression? An actor who barely passed high school?

Hmm...bad actor, cult member, and now confrontational?

Just come out of the closet Tom. Really. Its ok. They don't shun gays in Hollwyood anymore. You'd be hip, man. Then you'd be at peace.
        Is Matt Lauer a doctor?

I agree about Tom should've changed the subject and handled that with more class. Maybe he had some previous beef with Lauer, I heard he [Matt] can be kind of a **** sometimes.

The earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens
        Baha'u'llah

"Everyone takes turns making mistakes in poker. The trick is to skip your turn."
        Mike Caro

"The all-in play works every time but once"

You can observe a lot just by watching.
        Yogi Berra

every year.

Comment

Abit off topic but...

I wonder how long his next marriage will last? Or wait..........they just recently got engaged right??

Comment

Originally posted by JoviBronco
            I wonder how long his next marriage will last? Or wait..........they just recently got engaged right??
            it'll prob go just under 10 years again

The earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens
            Baha'u'llah

"Everyone takes turns making mistakes in poker. The trick is to skip your turn."
            Mike Caro

"The all-in play works every time but once"

You can observe a lot just by watching.
            Yogi Berra

every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Uula Bear
              Is Matt Lauer a doctor?

I agree about Tom should've changed the subject and handled that with more class. Maybe he had some previous beef with Lauer, I heard he [Matt] can be kind of a **** sometimes.

No, but Matt never claimed he knew all about psychiatry or ritalin. He said he knew people who had been helped by it, and Cruise went weird, and called him glib and said the rest of those things.

I mean, if he actually knows a person or two who have been helped by anti-depressants, how is that glib?

And why should Tommy boy care?

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
              You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by JoviBronco
                Yea they are getting married pretty soon...... not so sure when. Don't look for it to last a long time.......... GOd im a gossiper now.....

Comment

Working...
                X