Live 8: Can musicians stop hunger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live 8: Can musicians stop hunger?

If you don't know what Live 8 is, turn on Mtv or VH1 right now... It is being aired all day long...

Live 8 is a series of 11 concerts, located in 9 different countries...

The concerts are free to the public and non profit... The purpose of the concerts are to persuade politicians in G8 to lend more help against the fight against hungry...

For more info go here..... www.Live8live.com

__________________________________________________ _______________

My question is: Do you think that this will actually do any good? Or will the politicians still do whatever they want?
    ---IZAAK

Its been done 20 years ago. Shows how much it did.

Comment

It doesn't mean the result will be the same now.

Thanks to B4Bronco6 for the sig!
      RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
      Know this above all else. This life is your only life. So while you live life, make the most of every second, minute and hour that you have. Time stops for no one. Don't stop for time. Seize the day.
      -Kobe Bryant-

Comment

the true effects of this wont be huge. However it will help. The biggest problem with a country like africa, is the populated areas, are just not habitable. They are dry desert lands, where you just cant grow anything to support a community. This is where the problems start.
        "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
        Ayrton Senna..

Comment

G8 countries are willing to forgive $40 billion in foreign debt, so whatever gets collected at the concernts is a drop in the ocean compared to what these governments have already committed to do. I see it as mainly publicity mixed w/ a bit of hyprocisy. I mean, ads seeking aid always show these malnutritioned KIDS... and our hearts go out to them. But what these ads fail to say is that these kids grow up.... and once they are no-longer-cute-looking adults, we don't give a damn about them. Rodney Allen Rippy effect.

We got to help them be self-sufficient, not just give them hand-outs. Unfortunately, there is no incentive to do this: A self-sufficient Africa means more competition in a global market. But relief of debt is a huge start for African economic independence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sevenis7
            G8 countries are willing to forgive $40 billion in foreign debt, so whatever gets collected at the concernts is a drop in the ocean compared to what these governments have already committed to do. I see it as mainly publicity mixed w/ a bit of hyprocisy. I mean, ads seeking aid always show these malnutritioned KIDS... and our hearts go out to them. But what these ads fail to say is that these kids grow up.... and once they are no-longer-cute-looking adults, we don't give a damn about them. Rodney Allen Rippy effect.

We got to help them be self-sufficient, not just give them hand-outs. Unfortunately, there is no incentive to do this: A self-sufficient Africa means more competition in a global market. But relief of debt is a huge start for African economic independence.
            Well, I know that some of the artists have talked about teaching or enabling self sufficiency. I cannot speak for the the actual G8 participants, since I hav not heard any of them say anything about that. Only teh debt reduction.

And as far as I know, nothing is being collected at the concerts. Not any gate receipts anyway. I don't know if donations are being accepted. Just names on a petition.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
            You should check these guys out

Comment

For the starving children in Africa, we don't need money, we just need your awareness. We just need your awareness. Just a little bit. If you can not afford to give some of your awareness, just a simple, "ah" will do.

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
              2. Taxes
              3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

Until the likes of Mugabe are ousted from power, any efforts by the rest of the world will be nary bu a drop in the ocean.

I'm not saying that the US or UK should go through another 'regime-changing' exercise, but the first step to the improvement has got to be the removal of these tinpot despots. Cancelling debts, for example, just allows them to line their own pockets even further off the back of their people.
                The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
                BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
                You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Originally posted by y2cragie
                  The biggest problem with a country like africa, is the populated areas, are just not habitable. They are dry desert lands, where you just cant grow anything to support a community. This is where the problems start.
                  That could be said about the U.S and Australia too yet no one is starving on the same scale there. They just need more money for development.

Comment

Originally posted by Den21-Bal19
                    Until the likes of Mugabe are ousted from power, any efforts by the rest of the world will be nary bu a drop in the ocean.

I'm not saying that the US or UK should go through another 'regime-changing' exercise, but the first step to the improvement has got to be the removal of these tinpot despots. Cancelling debts, for example, just allows them to line their own pockets even further off the back of their people.
                    I can assure you sometime in the next 18 months there will be a military force in Zimbabwe. Its unlikely there will be a US soldier there as its not really their problem. The UK and i believe France seriously messed up with the country and its upto us to fix it.
                    "On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."
                    Ayrton Senna..

Comment

Originally posted by IZAAK
                      The purpose of the concerts are to persuade politicians in G8 to lend more help against the fight against hungry...
                      er, make that persuade politicians to take people's hard earned money by force and then inefficiently pass that money into the hands of various oppressive governments. hurrah for live 8!

were the point of this to actually encourage real charity, that is people giving out of their hearts i would applaud it. as it is, i hope it fails miserably.
                      sigpic
                      go broncos
                      share the sidewalk
                      liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

It's just a bunch of hippies jerking off.

Comment

Working...
                        X