The Song Title Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by L.M. View Post
    "Travelling Riverside Blues" is a blues song written by the bluesman Robert Johnson. He recorded it on June 20, 1937, in Dallas, Texas, during his last recording session. The song was unreleased until its inclusion on the 1961 Johnson compilation album King of the Delta Blues Singers.

Led Zeppelin's version of this song was produced by John Walters at the BBC studios in Aeolian Hall on June 24, 1969 during the band's UK Tour of Summer 1969. Jimmy Page dubbed extra guitar tracks onto the track (the main track being played on a 12-string electric guitar) and it was broadcast four days later on John Peel's Top Gear show under the title "Travelling Riverside Blues '69", and repeated on January 11, 1970. Page used an acoustic slide guitar for the entire song, while Bonham played triplets on the bass drum.

It is quite different from the original, and it is more a tribute to Robert Johnson than a straight cover. The song showcases a riff by Page (also in open G tuning), and in the lyrics Robert Plant quotes many Robert Johnson songs, such as "She studies evil all the time", from "Kind Hearted Woman Blues", and "Why don't you come on in my kitchen", from "Come on in My Kitchen" (which is heard during the song's solo).

"Travelling Riverside Blues" can be found on disc one of the Led Zeppelin Boxed Set (1990), the Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions (1997), the expanded 1993 reissue of Coda from The Complete Studio Recordings and Led Zeppelin Definitive Collection (2008) box sets, and disc one of the two companion discs of the 2015 reissue of Coda.

It was interest from US radio interviewers and fans during Page's Outrider tour that originally led him to negotiate with BBC Enterprises for the song's release. A promotional video clip was also released in 1990, with out-take footage from the band's 1976 concert film, The Song Remains the Same inter-spliced with other footage from the band's archive. The clip also features a railroad montage, and underwater shots of the Mississippi River. The song reached number seven on the Billboard Top Rock Tracks Top 50 chart in November 1990, culled from national album rock radio airplay reports.

Great historical background LM! Speaking of Robert Johnson, he's one of many people of note who died on my bday 8/16, along with Elvis, Babe Ruth & Bela Lugosi...

Stray Cat Blues - The Rolling Stones : my fave Stones song off my fave Stones album, 1968's "Beggars Banquet"
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

• Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
      Great historical background LM! Speaking of Robert Johnson, he's one of many people of note who died on my bday 8/16, along with Elvis, Babe Ruth & Bela Lugosi...

Stray Cat Blues - The Rolling Stones : my fave Stones song off my fave Stones album, 1968's "Beggars Banquet"
      Thanks! So...then you're the reincarnation of all of them? Do you gyrate your pelvis and play the blues while drinking blood after baseball games????

Mother Earth Blues -- Heart from Magazine (1978)

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Thanks! So...then you're the reincarnation of all of them? Do you gyrate your pelvis and play the blues while drinking blood after baseball games????

Mother Earth Blues -- Heart from Magazine (1978)
        Well, I'm too old to be the reincarnation of Elvis...he died on my 17th bday..but I do play some mean blues after a cup of blood and calling my shot to the center field seats

Catfish Blues - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (1967 but unreleased until the '88 CD, "Radio One")

Comment

Well, I'm too old to be the reincarnation of Elvis...he died on my 17th bday..but I do play some mean blues after a cup of blood and calling my shot to the center field seats

Catfish Blues - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (1967 but unreleased until the '88 CD, "Radio One")

The Deepest Blues Are Black
          Artist: Foo Fighters
          Album: In Your Honor
          Released: 2005

Comment

The Deepest Blues Are Black
            Artist: Foo Fighters
            Album: In Your Honor
            Released: 2005
            Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler) - Marvin Gaye
            sigpic
            Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
            Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
            Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
            Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

• Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
              Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler) - Marvin Gaye
              Inner City Pressure - Flight of the Conchords (the 4th most popular novelty band in New Zealand from their 1998 album, "Flight of the Conchords")

Comment

Inner City Pressure - Flight of the Conchords (the 4th most popular novelty band in New Zealand from their 1998 album, "Flight of the Conchords")
                Detroit Swing City
                Artist: Alien Fashion Show
                Album: Cool Thing
                Released: 1998

Comment

Detroit Swing City
                  Artist: Alien Fashion Show
                  Album: Cool Thing
                  Released: 1998
                  Crack City - Tin Machine (David Bowie's last band IIRC - from their '89 album, "Tin Machine")

Comment

Crack City - Tin Machine (David Bowie's last band IIRC - from their '89 album, "Tin Machine")
                    Heartbeat City -- The Cars (1984)

Comment

Heartbeat City -- The Cars (1984)
                      Motor City Madhouse - Ted Nugent - I like the live version off 1978's "Double Live Gonzo" best

Comment

Motor City Madhouse - Ted Nugent - I like the live version off 1978's "Double Live Gonzo" best
                        You Belong To The City
                        Artist: Glenn Frey
                        Released: 1985
                        TV Show: Miami Vice

Comment

You Belong To The City
                          Artist: Glenn Frey
                          Released: 1985
                          TV Show: Miami Vice
                          Pictures of a City - King Crimson (from the '70 album, "In the Wake of Poseidon")

Comment

Pictures of a City - King Crimson (from the '70 album, "In the Wake of Poseidon")
                            Pictures of You -- The Cure from Disintegration (1989)

Comment

Pictures of You -- The Cure from Disintegration (1989)
                              Editions of You - Roxy Music (from the '73 album, "For Your Pleasure")

Comment

Editions of You - Roxy Music (from the '73 album, "For Your Pleasure")
                                You Got Me Runnin' -- Def Leppard from High N' Dry (1981)

Comment

Working...
                                X