X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by GMTD View Post

I just listened to Foreigner Suite yesterday for the first time. Very impressed. I only know a few of his songs as his heyday was well before my time (sorry Can!). I didn't even know he played the piano!
    Because I was a fan of Cat back then, I bought that album without ever hearing the song Foreigner Suite. I think I knew one song on that album, and trusted my gut. So when I came home to play it, I was wondering if I had made a mistake. One song that I never heard, filling up one side of the record! As I listened I realized I liked it right away. The twists and turns, the musical skill, the interesting song construction. After that I was hooked on the song, and listened to it daily for a month or two. You know, one of those summers as a teenager, not fully knowing where life would go, and also not knowing who I really was. But life was good that year, as I was doing well in my Commerce studies, and liking the summer vibe. Still very unsure, but looking forward.

Leave a comment:

• GMTD
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post

So you are from London? Cool! Let me tell, I was a pretty big fan of the guy. Do you know that song I was mentioning "Foreigner Suite", which lasted over 18 minutes? It was such a unique song, with several variations. It took up the entire side of the album (you know, those big round spinning things!

I was going to University (know you know how old I am), working the summer and managing a football team. I would listen to that song a lot.

I loved so many of his songs - Morning Has Broken, Peace Train, Father and Son, Oh Very Young, Can't Keep It In, The Hurt.....and more. A special voice and a special musical talent.

I just listened to Foreigner Suite yesterday for the first time. Very impressed. I only know a few of his songs as his heyday was well before my time (sorry Can!). I didn't even know he played the piano!

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post

Best of both worlds - VH

RIP Eddie Van Halen
    The Best - Tina Turner (1989)

"The Best" is a song by Bonnie Tyler for her seventh studio album, Hide Your Heart (1988). In the following year, the song was covered by Tina Turner for her seventh studio album, Foreign Affair. The song was written by Holly Knight and Mike Chapman.

Here's Bonnie's original version...

Leave a comment:

• Sophia23
    replied

Wild World - Cat Stevens (1970)

Fan of this guy too. Most of one summer I was hooked on a new album of his, Foreigner, including one song, Foreigner Suite, that lasts over 18 minutes!!
    Best of both worlds - VH

RIP Eddie Van Halen

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied

Originally Steven Demetre Georgiou "Cat Stevens" is a fellow west Londoner. He changed his name to Yusuf Islam amd walked away completely from the music industry in 1977, only to return in 2006. Still.going strong at 73 he now records as "Yusuf/Cat Stevens".

Wild World is a great song, and even its main cover versions (by Jimmy Cliff and Maxi Priest) have been very successful
    So you are from London? Cool! Let me tell, I was a pretty big fan of the guy. Do you know that song I was mentioning "Foreigner Suite", which lasted over 18 minutes? It was such a unique song, with several variations. It took up the entire side of the album (you know, those big round spinning things!

I was going to University (know you know how old I am), working the summer and managing a football team. I would listen to that song a lot.

I loved so many of his songs - Morning Has Broken, Peace Train, Father and Son, Oh Very Young, Can't Keep It In, The Hurt.....and more. A special voice and a special musical talent.

Leave a comment:

• GMTD
    replied

Fan of this guy too. Most of one summer I was hooked on a new album of his, Foreigner, including one song, Foreigner Suite, that lasts over 18 minutes!!
    Originally Steven Demetre Georgiou "Cat Stevens" is a fellow west Londoner. He changed his name to Yusuf Islam amd walked away completely from the music industry in 1977, only to return in 2006. Still.going strong at 73 he now records as "Yusuf/Cat Stevens".

Wild World is a great song, and even its main cover versions (by Jimmy Cliff and Maxi Priest) have been very successful

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied

World At Your Feet - Astrid Williamson

https://youtu.be/0j73xDSr65w

Leave a comment:

• GMTD
    replied

Rockin In The Free World - Neil Young (1989)

If you know me, you'll expect me to mention that Neil Young is Winnipeg's own, one of the great musical artists!
    World At Your Feet - Astrid Williamson

https://youtu.be/0j73xDSr65w

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied

Other side of the world - KT Tunstall
    Rockin In The Free World - Neil Young (1989)

If you know me, you'll expect me to mention that Neil Young is Winnipeg's own, one of the great musical artists!

Leave a comment:

• Sophia23
    replied

What The World Needs Now Is Love - Jackie DeShannon (1965)

Another one of the great hits by the song writing duo of Burt Bacharach and Hal David. This incredible pair often teamed up with Dionne Warwick, who version of this song is sometimes assumed to be the original hit. Growing up, I was a huge fan of the Bacharach/David/Warwick collaborations.
    Other side of the world - KT Tunstall

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied

Just what I needed - The Cars
    What The World Needs Now Is Love - Jackie DeShannon (1965)

Another one of the great hits by the song writing duo of Burt Bacharach and Hal David. This incredible pair often teamed up with Dionne Warwick, who version of this song is sometimes assumed to be the original hit. Growing up, I was a huge fan of the Bacharach/David/Warwick collaborations.

Leave a comment:

• Sophia23
    replied

Sorry bud. I was taking a very short Beatles break....very short!!

If I Needed Someone - The Beatles (1965)

One of George Harrison's creations.

Just what I needed - The Cars

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by L.M. View Post

Oh man! I had an internal bet you'd pick "I Need You" by the Beatles from Help! You just cost me big!

You Gotta Love Someone
    Artist: Elton John
    Album: Days of Thunder OST
    Released: 1990

Sorry bud. I was taking a very short Beatles break....very short!!

If I Needed Someone - The Beatles (1965)

One of George Harrison's creations.

Leave a comment:

• L.M.
    replied

Someone Saved My Life Tonight - Elton John (1975)

Oh man! I had an internal bet you'd pick "I Need You" by the Beatles from Help! You just cost me big!

You Gotta Love Someone
    Artist: Elton John
    Album: Days of Thunder OST
    Released: 1990

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by L.M. View Post

Need You Tonight
    Artist: INXS
    Album: Kick
    Released: 1987

Someone Saved My Life Tonight - Elton John (1975)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X