Books you've read recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dawgfan
    I recently read Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel.

Have you seen the movie for that yet? It sounds like it is good, but then again directors always mess up good books...
    ---IZAAK

Comment

The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown over summer.
      Finishing up Joel Osteen's Your Best Life Now.

Comment

The book Moneyball by Michael lewis about Billy Beane and the A's, and how they keep winning with such a low payroll...it's a great book

and The last night of the Yankee Dynasty by Buster Olney...also a great book
        Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Mr. Paradise by Elmore Leonard.

I finished it on Monday.

Based on a recommendation from bookstore owner and book lover Javalon, I just purchased some Robin Hobb.

I also recently re-read Tom Robbins "Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates", which is absolutely hilarious. Classic stuff from the most wildly inventive writer in America. Perhaps in the whole English speaking world. His usual mix of satire, intellectual questioning, philosophy, questions about man's existence, brilliant prose, & weird characters.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
          You should check these guys out

Comment

Most recently...

Romans (the Apostle Paul's finest work IMO)
            Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
            Crossroads of Twilight (Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time series)
            Storm of Swords (George R. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire series)
            Left Behind (Lehaye and Jenkins)
            Case for Faith (Lee Strobel)

I read a lot.

If you like the Fantasy genre then I would recommend Jordan's and Martin's series. They are both very entertaining.
            Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

just finished the other night

Scimitar SL-2 by Patrick Robinson

For those of you who read Tom Clancy, try out Patrick Robinson. His books take place more on submarines, in the likes "The hunt for Red October".

If you liked that book, youll enjoy this guy!

Comment

Most recent books were Half Blood Prince and King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard.

Currently reading Roots by Alex Haley.

This may seem dorky, but I read books aloud to my wife.

Comment

I haven't read a fiction book in a long time. I only read Christian devotions and my bible! Last fiction book I read is Around the World in 80 Days. Hence that is where I got my username!

Comment

Spiritual Warfare -- Dean Sherman
                    Wild at Heart -- John Eldredge
                    sigpic sig by Vulcan thanx buddy

Comment

just finished the odyssey. liked it alot. i found especially interesting the morality of a pre-christianity society: SPOILER - for instance while the suitors were certainly rude, hiding all their weapons and then slaughtering them all wouldn't exactly be considered modus operandi today. nor making the slave girls who cavorted with the suitors clean up the suitor's bodies before hanging the girls.

now i've started the anti-federalist. it's a collection of writings of by people who opposed the US constitution at the time it was being debated and then ratified. most of us have read a bit of the federalist papers; these were their opponents. i was interested in reading more of the anti-federalists writings after realizing that they were right about a great deal.
                      Last edited by mattos; 08-21-2005, 05:39 PM.
                      sigpic
                      go broncos
                      share the sidewalk
                      liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

"A Cop for Christ" - Mike DiSanza - amazing story of a New York cop.

Comment

I have tried to read Firday Night Lights, but it has been hard to read.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LDB
                            Most recently...

Romans (the Apostle Paul's finest work IMO)
                            Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
                            Crossroads of Twilight (Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time series)
                            Storm of Swords (George R. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire series)
                            Left Behind (Lehaye and Jenkins)
                            Case for Faith (Lee Strobel)

I read a lot.

If you like the Fantasy genre then I would recommend Jordan's and Martin's series. They are both very entertaining.
                            Just so.

What did you think of 'A Feast For Crows', LDB? Hard to compare it to 'Swords', eh?

I'll second what you've said though.

Even if you don't like fantasy (or think you don't) I'd still recommend Martin's series, "A Song of Ice & Fire". I turned a few friends on to it and they're hooked - and outside of LotR they'd never read anything from the genre. I'm currently re-reading the series and love it even more this time around.

I've considered taking on Jordan's WoT, but I've heard mixed reviews and have some reservations. What's your take, LDB? Worth the effort? That's A LOT of reading only to have it fizzle out in cookie cutter fashion several books in.

Winter is Coming!

Comment

WLT: A Radio Romance by Garrison Keillor.

I haven't decided what to read next.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                              You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan
                                Just so.

What did you think of 'A Feast For Crows', LDB? Hard to compare it to 'Swords', eh?

I'll second what you've said though.

Even if you don't like fantasy (or think you don't) I'd still recommend Martin's series, "A Song of Ice & Fire". I turned a few friends on to it and they're hooked - and outside of LotR they'd never read anything from the genre. I'm currently re-reading the series and love it even more this time around.

I've considered taking on Jordan's WoT, but I've heard mixed reviews and have some reservations. What's your take, LDB? Worth the effort? That's A LOT of reading only to have it fizzle out in cookie cutter fashion several books in.

I'm not LDB, but i would recommend the WoT series... I love it. It does take a lot of time though, especially the few middle books, like Lord of Chaos, but they are still all around really good. Also if you like the Fantasy genre i would reccomend The Belgariad and The Malloreon byt David Eddings, they are great... also Raymond Feist is a great fantasy author as well...

As of late though, i just finished the most recent WoT book, and have been reading a series called the Final Dance by Christie Golden... I've also read the DaVince Code, which was very good... and some others heheh i read a lot as well...

Comment

Working...
                                X