No announcement yet.

Books you've read recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have recently read the first half of "A Storm of Swords". It may be the most gripping one yet, but if a bad guy doesn't die soon I'm not gonna read "Crows"
    None of the really bad dudes are getting knocked off. And there have been plenty of chances to kill one of them. The Hound and Jaime in particular. But on the other hand, I want the books to go on forever. So I shouldn't complain. But if a Stark is gone before another Lannister, then I'm done. I swear.
    ry

Comment

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan
      Just so.

What did you think of 'A Feast For Crows', LDB? Hard to compare it to 'Swords', eh?

I'll second what you've said though.

Even if you don't like fantasy (or think you don't) I'd still recommend Martin's series, "A Song of Ice & Fire". I turned a few friends on to it and they're hooked - and outside of LotR they'd never read anything from the genre. I'm currently re-reading the series and love it even more this time around.

I've considered taking on Jordan's WoT, but I've heard mixed reviews and have some reservations. What's your take, LDB? Worth the effort? That's A LOT of reading only to have it fizzle out in cookie cutter fashion several books in.

My roommate has read the whole Jordan series that you are talking about. He said he loved everything but the last book or two. Apparantly he is trying to stretch it too far and still has a bunch of loose ends left. Sounds like it became all about the money. But as I have not read any of these stories I cannot provide you with an actual opinion. Just my perception of a friend's opinion.

As far as my own recent readings, I haven't done much extra-curricular reading as I am currently enrolled in an english class centered around graphic novels (not as cool as it sounds...more like being in a book club than anything else. I am 100% confident that I contribute more to the discussion than the instructor and I skip at least one class a week). But I did recently finish "The Rum Diary" by Hunter Thompson and found it very entertaining. I would also recommend any of the Sin City works or "The Dark Knight Returns" by Frank Miller for those looking to get into reading comics. I had little prior background in this artform and I have to say that Frank Miller, Alan Moore, and Brian Michael Bendis have changed my mind. I know a lot of people don't like Bendis, but his "New Avengers" series is fantastic.

P.S. If you are like me and are a sucker for any and all things zombie-related, definitely check out the "Walking Dead" series by Robert Kirkman
      Last edited by delaranta; 03-02-2006, 03:54 AM.
      I'll duel you left-handed

"I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women: suddenly, inexplicably, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain or disruption it would bring with it" - Nick Hornby from Fever Pitch

Comment

Originally posted by Rrmckie
        I have recently read the first half of "A Storm of Swords". It may be the most gripping one yet, but if a bad guy doesn't die soon I'm not gonna read "Crows"
        None of the really bad dudes are getting knocked off. And there have been plenty of chances to kill one of them. The Hound and Jaime in particular. But on the other hand, I want the books to go on forever. So I shouldn't complain. But if a Stark is gone before another Lannister, then I'm done. I swear.
        ry

Welcome aboard!!! (it's about time!!!)

You must be a pretty big fan of the books for your first post on a Broncos message board to be about them. What? No love for the Marine? No mourning at the loss of Trevor or Putzier? Do you dream of Loras, or what?

Seriously, it may get worse (much worse) before it gets better (much better).

Just keep reading. You better lock up the mulled wine and the wife because MnG (aka - The Mount-n That Rides) is coming to pay you a visit and he doesn't take kindly to mummer-loving aurochs like yourself. It is known.

Winter is Coming!

Comment

I just finished "Cell" by Stephen King. Not one of his best, but not bad. Recently finished "Disinformation", "The Davinci Code", and "Friday Night Lights".
          "Oh I Have Slipped The Surly Bonds of Earth... Put Out My Hand And Touched the Face of God"

-Rest In Peace, Darrent & Damien

Comment

"Straken" by Terry Brooks - one of many in the Shannara series - awesome series
            Yep, It's a party :dance:

Sigs by me

Comment

Working...
            X