Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7Fan30
    replied
    "Straken" by Terry Brooks - one of many in the Shannara series - awesome series

Leave a comment:

• spikerman
    replied
    I just finished "Cell" by Stephen King. Not one of his best, but not bad. Recently finished "Disinformation", "The Davinci Code", and "Friday Night Lights".

Leave a comment:

• Mount-n-Groan
    replied
    Originally posted by Rrmckie
    I have recently read the first half of "A Storm of Swords". It may be the most gripping one yet, but if a bad guy doesn't die soon I'm not gonna read "Crows"
    None of the really bad dudes are getting knocked off. And there have been plenty of chances to kill one of them. The Hound and Jaime in particular. But on the other hand, I want the books to go on forever. So I shouldn't complain. But if a Stark is gone before another Lannister, then I'm done. I swear.
    ry

Welcome aboard!!! (it's about time!!!)

You must be a pretty big fan of the books for your first post on a Broncos message board to be about them. What? No love for the Marine? No mourning at the loss of Trevor or Putzier? Do you dream of Loras, or what?

Seriously, it may get worse (much worse) before it gets better (much better).

Just keep reading. You better lock up the mulled wine and the wife because MnG (aka - The Mount-n That Rides) is coming to pay you a visit and he doesn't take kindly to mummer-loving aurochs like yourself. It is known.

Leave a comment:

• delaranta
    replied
    Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan
    Just so.

What did you think of 'A Feast For Crows', LDB? Hard to compare it to 'Swords', eh?

I'll second what you've said though.

Even if you don't like fantasy (or think you don't) I'd still recommend Martin's series, "A Song of Ice & Fire". I turned a few friends on to it and they're hooked - and outside of LotR they'd never read anything from the genre. I'm currently re-reading the series and love it even more this time around.

I've considered taking on Jordan's WoT, but I've heard mixed reviews and have some reservations. What's your take, LDB? Worth the effort? That's A LOT of reading only to have it fizzle out in cookie cutter fashion several books in.

My roommate has read the whole Jordan series that you are talking about. He said he loved everything but the last book or two. Apparantly he is trying to stretch it too far and still has a bunch of loose ends left. Sounds like it became all about the money. But as I have not read any of these stories I cannot provide you with an actual opinion. Just my perception of a friend's opinion.

As far as my own recent readings, I haven't done much extra-curricular reading as I am currently enrolled in an english class centered around graphic novels (not as cool as it sounds...more like being in a book club than anything else. I am 100% confident that I contribute more to the discussion than the instructor and I skip at least one class a week). But I did recently finish "The Rum Diary" by Hunter Thompson and found it very entertaining. I would also recommend any of the Sin City works or "The Dark Knight Returns" by Frank Miller for those looking to get into reading comics. I had little prior background in this artform and I have to say that Frank Miller, Alan Moore, and Brian Michael Bendis have changed my mind. I know a lot of people don't like Bendis, but his "New Avengers" series is fantastic.

P.S. If you are like me and are a sucker for any and all things zombie-related, definitely check out the "Walking Dead" series by Robert Kirkman
    Last edited by delaranta; 03-02-2006, 03:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rrmckie
    replied
    I have recently read the first half of "A Storm of Swords". It may be the most gripping one yet, but if a bad guy doesn't die soon I'm not gonna read "Crows"
    None of the really bad dudes are getting knocked off. And there have been plenty of chances to kill one of them. The Hound and Jaime in particular. But on the other hand, I want the books to go on forever. So I shouldn't complain. But if a Stark is gone before another Lannister, then I'm done. I swear.
    ry

Leave a comment:

• toriing
    replied
    Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan
    Just so.

What did you think of 'A Feast For Crows', LDB? Hard to compare it to 'Swords', eh?

Even if you don't like fantasy (or think you don't) I'd still recommend Martin's series, "A Song of Ice & Fire". I turned a few friends on to it and they're hooked - and outside of LotR they'd never read anything from the genre. I'm currently re-reading the series and love it even more this time around.

I've considered taking on Jordan's WoT, but I've heard mixed reviews and have some reservations. What's your take, LDB? Worth the effort? That's A LOT of reading only to have it fizzle out in cookie cutter fashion several books in.

I'm not LDB, but i would recommend the WoT series... I love it. It does take a lot of time though, especially the few middle books, like Lord of Chaos, but they are still all around really good. Also if you like the Fantasy genre i would reccomend The Belgariad and The Malloreon byt David Eddings, they are great... also Raymond Feist is a great fantasy author as well...

As of late though, i just finished the most recent WoT book, and have been reading a series called the Final Dance by Christie Golden... I've also read the DaVince Code, which was very good... and some others heheh i read a lot as well...

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    WLT: A Radio Romance by Garrison Keillor.

I haven't decided what to read next.

Leave a comment:

• Mount-n-Groan
    replied
    Originally posted by LDB
    Most recently...

Romans (the Apostle Paul's finest work IMO)
    Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
    Crossroads of Twilight (Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time series)
    Storm of Swords (George R. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire series)
    Left Behind (Lehaye and Jenkins)
    Case for Faith (Lee Strobel)

I read a lot.

If you like the Fantasy genre then I would recommend Jordan's and Martin's series. They are both very entertaining.
    Just so.

Leave a comment:

• BVP
    replied
    I have tried to read Firday Night Lights, but it has been hard to read.

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    "A Cop for Christ" - Mike DiSanza - amazing story of a New York cop.

Leave a comment:

• mattos
    replied
    just finished the odyssey. liked it alot. i found especially interesting the morality of a pre-christianity society: SPOILER - for instance while the suitors were certainly rude, hiding all their weapons and then slaughtering them all wouldn't exactly be considered modus operandi today. nor making the slave girls who cavorted with the suitors clean up the suitor's bodies before hanging the girls.

now i've started the anti-federalist. it's a collection of writings of by people who opposed the US constitution at the time it was being debated and then ratified. most of us have read a bit of the federalist papers; these were their opponents. i was interested in reading more of the anti-federalists writings after realizing that they were right about a great deal.
    Last edited by mattos; 08-21-2005, 05:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AzBroncoFan67
    replied
    Spiritual Warfare -- Dean Sherman
    Wild at Heart -- John Eldredge

Leave a comment:

• Passepartout
    replied
    I haven't read a fiction book in a long time. I only read Christian devotions and my bible! Last fiction book I read is Around the World in 80 Days. Hence that is where I got my username!

Leave a comment:

• ProgMatinee
    replied
    Most recent books were Half Blood Prince and King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard.

Currently reading Roots by Alex Haley.

This may seem dorky, but I read books aloud to my wife.

Leave a comment:

• JWinn
    replied
    just finished the other night

Scimitar SL-2 by Patrick Robinson

For those of you who read Tom Clancy, try out Patrick Robinson. His books take place more on submarines, in the likes "The hunt for Red October".

If you liked that book, youll enjoy this guy!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X