Last Samurai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Samurai

I don't know if any of you have seen this movie, but I saw it last night and I loved this movie with the exception of Tom Cruise somehow surviving that last charge. I can't believe it didn't win awards, even my wife loved it despite the occasional beheading.
    Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

You too Cutler.

It was okay. I liked it. Ken Wantabe is up for an Academy Award for BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR. Yes, it was good for a TOM CRUISE movie. He's getting on my good side, having made 2 good movies in a row (Minority Report and Last Samarai)! It's Hard to redeem yourself after a poor movie like "VANILLA SKY"!
    [QUOTE]
    If someone uses one of your quotes, it really means that they agree with it and they're upset they didn't get the chance to say it first---- Dave Navarro 1991

The main reason I don't like the Bronco's is because every time I see their logo it reminds me of my drunk boyfriend who used to write his name in the snow with his urine then belch the letters of Elway's name----- Sandra Bernhard 1993

Comment

Re: Last Samurai

Originally posted by rascal
      with the exception of Tom Cruise somehow surviving that last charge.
      ACK SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

you need to put a warning the headline or something man. i haven't seen it yet. but it doesn't surprise me that he survives. the fact that he's in the movie at all turned me off of it a bit. if i was to watch a movie called "the last cowboy" i sure as heck wouldn't want jackie chan to be in it. cruise's presence creates problems that i just can't accept. i'm all for suspending reality in movies (for instance i have no real problem with the way samuri's are portrayed here; they weren't the bastions of nobility that the movie implies, or so i hear) but sticking a white movie star in a movie about old japan just didn't sit well with me for some reason.
      sigpic
      go broncos
      share the sidewalk
      liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

Re: Re: Last Samurai

Originally posted by mattos
        ACK SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

you need to put a warning the headline or something man. i haven't seen it yet. but it doesn't surprise me that he survives. the fact that he's in the movie at all turned me off of it a bit. if i was to watch a movie called "the last cowboy" i sure as heck wouldn't want jackie chan to be in it. cruise's presence creates problems that i just can't accept. i'm all for suspending reality in movies (for instance i have no real problem with the way samuri's are portrayed here; they weren't the bastions of nobility that the movie implies, or so i hear) but sticking a white movie star in a movie about old japan just didn't sit well with me for some reason.
        You need to read a book called the Shogun. It is similar to this movie, and sorry but when the "whites" started going to Japan it wasn't unfamiliar to hear stories, not to this degree, of something similar to this.

I've been to Japan and lived there for 2+ months so I have some credibility here. Samurai were comparable to our knights and of all types of warriors in history and today, they were the most honorable.
        Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

You too Cutler.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Last Samurai

Originally posted by rascal
          You need to read a book called the Shogun. It is similar to this movie, and sorry but when the "whites" started going to Japan it wasn't unfamiliar to hear stories, not to this degree, of something similar to this.

I've been to Japan and lived there for 2+ months so I have some credibility here. Samurai were comparable to our knights and of all types of warriors in history and today, they were the most honorable.
          i won't argue cause i don't know. but in comparison to kurosawa's movie (7 samurai?) - as i remember kurosawa painted them more as warlord types than paladins. although the heros in that were samurai too i guess. as with everything, i'm sure there were a variety.

don't be sorry, i know there were white ppl there at the time. but there were asians in the US in the 1800's, and i just can't see jackie chan in "the last cowboy." to say nothing of the football players in "the last boyscout."
          Last edited by mattos; 01-29-2004, 04:13 PM.
          sigpic
          go broncos
          share the sidewalk
          liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

Excellent movie. I am not a Cruise fan as I have previously stated but I was thoroughly impressed with his performance. Ken Watanabe has a commanding grace and presence in the film that I think compliments Cruise's own (performance, that is, not grace).
            Originally posted by boltzpride619
            What's so funny is seeing all this mess that the Donks and the fans have placed on themselves. Can you say Raiders.

Originally posted by RunByDesign
            True comedy is observing the Self Imploding Organization that is the Raiders and then asking yourself this question:

What separates them (Raiders) from us (Chargers)

Answer: Championships.

Comment

Working...
            X