iPod (help with xmas shopping please)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod (help with xmas shopping please)

I want to buy an iPod or alternative digital music player as a Christmas present for my son.

Ideally I don't want to spend much more than £150 (around $265) and would appreciate any tips on what to buy.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this kind of thing, so any info you can provide would be a BIG help!

Christmas shopping, in October? lol

There are quite a few Ipod out there, and some are cheaper than others.

If you don't want to get an Ipod you can just get any old MP3 player fairly cheap, and it does the same thing as an Ipod.

I think $265 is plenty to buy what you want.
    sigpic

Broncs All the Way Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBailey024
      Christmas shopping, in October? lol

There are quite a few Ipod out there, and some are cheaper than others.

If you don't want to get an Ipod you can just get any old MP3 player fairly cheap, and it does the same thing as an Ipod.

I think $265 is plenty to buy what you want.
      Hey it's mid october, that's late by my standards! I've already done half my shopping, picking up bargains all year long!

I've even begun wrapping some of them up these past two SUndays!
      It's a great way of passing time and relieving butterflies whilst waiting for Broncos games to finally start.

You're right about there being plenty of choice out there. That in fact is my main problem, too much choice, and I don't know which one to choose!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws
        Hey it's mid october, that's late by my standards! I've already done half my shopping, picking up bargains all year long!

I've even begun wrapping some of them up these past two SUndays!
        It's a great way of passing time and relieving butterflies whilst waiting for Broncos games to finally start.

You're right about there being plenty of choice out there. That in fact is my main problem, too much choice, and I don't know which one to choose!
        Me as being 14 really wouldn't care because they all do the same thing.
        sigpic

Broncs All the Way Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBailey024
          Me as being 14 really wouldn't care because they all do the same thing.
          Being a mean skinflint, it's quite tempting to go cheap then if they all do the same. More money spare to buy something else then!

Comment

Being a mean skinflint, it's quite tempting to go cheap then if they all do the same. More money spare to buy something else then!
            Exactly
            sigpic

Broncs All the Way Baby!

Comment

Whichever you decide on, it should probably be small enough to fit in his pocket or hang around his neck. The thing I like about the Ipods is the arm band so it's out of the way and you can still be mobile. I have a samsung yp model and it's no bigger than a pack of bubble gum and holds around 80 songs (256mb)

If your son has an extensive music collection, I advise going with 1 GB or higher memory as this allows more music to be stored on the player. (you can probably find a site that shows you how many songs with 256 mb, 512mb, 1 gb, so on)

Being an audiophile myself, I also found the earphones that come with most are rather cheap in quality and craftsmanship, and it might be a good idea to upgrade but not necessary.

Hope this helped some, good luck in all your shopping adventures.
              Here's a sight that might help you out and let you compare:

http://portableplayerz.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Reidman
                Whichever you decide on, it should probably be small enough to fit in his pocket or hang around his neck. The thing I like about the Ipods is the arm band so it's out of the way and you can still be mobile. I have a samsung yp model and it's no bigger than a pack of bubble gum and holds around 80 songs (256mb)

If your son has an extensive music collection, I advise going with 1 GB or higher memory as this allows more music to be stored on the player. (you can probably find a site that shows you how many songs with 256 mb, 512mb, 1 gb, so on)

Being an audiophile myself, I also found the earphones that come with most are rather cheap in quality and craftsmanship, and it might be a good idea to upgrade but not necessary.

Hope this helped some, good luck in all your shopping adventures.
                Here's a sight that might help you out and let you compare:

http://portableplayerz.com/
                Shopping adventures - do I like those! I'll probably need 512 plus as his music collection is growing all the time (just like him, he's already six foot, but not as tall as his mama yet)

Internet shopping is way too easy - fun, but not so when credit card bills need to be paid!

Useful info Reidman. Thanks for posting. I've added that site to my favourites, so I can do some studying!

Of course I shall be personally delivering CP's (christmas pressies) to everyone who posts useful info. On second thoughts, not a lot of you would want to meet me in person so the Broncomania style CP's may be better appreciated!

Comment

Shopping adventures - do I like those! I'll probably need 512 plus as his music collection is growing all the time (just like him, he's already six foot, but not as tall as his mama yet)

Internet shopping is way too easy - fun, but not so when credit card bills need to be paid!

Useful info Reidman. Thanks for posting. I've added that site to my favourites, so I can do some studying!

Of course I shall be personally delivering CP's (christmas pressies) to everyone who posts useful info. On second thoughts, not a lot of you would want to meet me in person so the Broncomania style CP's may be better appreciated!
                  Yeah, I have found internet shopping to be a good way to dwindle away a hard-earned paycheck. I have had to restrain myself from sights such as Ebay and overstock.com. They just make it way to easy to spend these days.

No problem on the info. I was in the market for an mp3 player last year and researched the hell out of them so I learned a thing or two. It's always a good idea to research something before buying, especially if your not too sure about what it is your buying (that's kinda redundant isn't it?)

Btw, judging from JWinn's initial meeting with you, not sure meeting in person is a good idea, unless of course I'm in a bigger boat

Comment

What to get???

I want to buy an iPod or alternative digital music player as a Christmas present for my son.

Ideally I don't want to spend much more than £150 (around $265) and would appreciate any tips on what to buy.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this kind of thing, so any info you can provide would be a BIG help!
                    I don't own an ipod but thanks for thr reminder I need to start thinking about shopping for Christmas .

Comment

Originally posted by NASurfer
                      did you get one? I had both the iPod Shuffle and iPod mini. The Shuffle diden't have enough memory for my music collection and was a real pain in the butt when it came to putting songs on it. I picked up the 4 gb mini and I love it. Easier to program and the screen is nice too. With ipods the more you spend, the more value you get so Id go with (based on how big your kids collection is of course) as big of an ipod as you can get. (no I don't work for apple). good luck!

the Shuffles suck.

my advice:

dont get an Ipod Shuffle. get the Ipod Mini. and if his music collection is growing i suggest the one that holds 1,000 songs.

I dont know much about Ipods, but being 13 I have been begging for one for awhile. I will aslo be doing my research on them. the reason I know Shuffles suck is because my friend has one and wishes they had a Mini.
                      Last edited by TDforTatum26; 10-19-2005, 10:18 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys, some really good tips there. An extended warranty would be a good idea as I'm sure he'll be using it all the time.

I was tending to favour the mini too, but I probably won't buy anything for a month or so yet.I've just had to pay for my son's trip to the states in the new year this month, and funds are suffering as a result! Kids are expensive!!!

There's this new nano one that's just come out too isn't there. I don't think I'd go for that one though, it's pretty expensive for it's capacity, and being so small and just the thickness of a credit card I envisage my hairbrained kid losing it somewhere straight away.

Comment

Thanks guys, some really good tips there. An extended warranty would be a good idea as I'm sure he'll be using it all the time.

I was tending to favour the mini too, but I probably won't buy anything for a month or so yet.I've just had to pay for my son's trip to the states in the new year this month, and funds are suffering as a result! Kids are expensive!!!

There's this new nano one that's just come out too isn't there. I don't think I'd go for that one though, it's pretty expensive for it's capacity, and being so small and just the thickness of a credit card I envisage my hairbrained kid losing it somewhere straight away.
                          having bought 3 ipods already and a few knockoffs along the way, i say dont cheap out and get a lesser product. buy the lesser priced ipod instead. the new ipod nanos are absolutely sick.

the ipod Nanos are:
                          2gb for $200
                          4gb for $250

if youre spending that much money dont settle. look at it this way, if you bought a sportscar you're never gonna say "gee, i wish it went a little slower". a Porsche and a Chevy Geo are both automobiles, but would never be considered comparable.

they are not the same. anybody who tells you they are has some beef against Apple/ipods.

i bought an ipod Mini for my brother about a year ago and he still loves it.

it is highly recommended to buy (for once) that extended warranty. if i were buying another ipod i would buy from a retailer like Frys and buy their warranty not Apples. Frys will replace the product on the spot whereas Apples warranty will require you to send the ipod in (at no charge) to the factory for repairs. just a tip
                          sigpic

Comment

Personally, I like MiniDisc players a lot better than hard drive players. The newer ones are compatible with MP3 and can be downloaded from computers. Yes, you have to have discs, but IMO its easier to switch out discs than clear memory when you bump up against the max.

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by ProgMatinee
                              Personally, I like MiniDisc players a lot better than hard drive players. The newer ones are compatible with MP3 and can be downloaded from computers. Yes, you have to have discs, but IMO its easier to switch out discs than clear memory when you bump up against the max.

Just a thought.
                              Why dont you just get a cd player then???????
                              the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

Working...
                              X