Star Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snk16
    A weird part of me wants to watch 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and then 6.

Yeah, but when you show your kids, show them 4,5,6 first.

Because 1,2, and 3 contain spoilers for 4,5 and 6.

The "I am your father" line is one of the most powerfull moments in cinema history and it loses all it's impact if you already know beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by Snk16
      A weird part of me wants to watch 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and then 6.
      That's the way they should be watched, IMO.
      Victory and defeat are matters of the temporary force of circumstance.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldritch
        Well, you're going to get your wish. Don't you know about the television series?
        I'd heard about the series, but nothing about what it was going to be about. I just hope that they put a bit more into it than just Vader burning and pillaging Viking style, not that there's anything wrong with a bit of pillaging

Maybe have the odd episode about some of the Jedi that did manage to escape Order 66 and went into hiding.

I don't know how far you are in reading it, but the beginning is excellent, the parts about the two. The fall of Anakin (later in the book) and the reintroduction of Qui-Gon (at the end) are so much better than in the movie. Some of they scenes of the fledgling rebellion members are actually part of the deleted scenes of the dvd, so it will be cool to see them.
        It's a very impressive novelization, I'd say it's probably twice the size of your standard film novelization, and nearly three times the size of George Lucas' original novelization of A New Hope. Good to know that some of the scenes from the book are actually on the DVD. It does, especially as you say at the begining, fill in Anakin & Obi Wan's Clone War experiences and feelings very well.
        The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
        BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
        You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

No, as I said above.

That ruins alot of moments in The Original Trilogy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
            Yeah, but when you show your kids, show them 4,5,6 first.

Because 1,2, and 3 contain spoilers for 4,5 and 6.

The "I am your father" line is one of the most powerfull moments in cinema history and it loses all it's impact if you already know beforehand.

I agree.

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
            2. Taxes
            3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

Originally posted by Den21-Bal19
              I'd heard about the series, but nothing about what it was going to be about. I just hope that they put a bit more into it than just Vader burning and pillaging Viking style, not that there's anything wrong with a bit of pillaging
              It's supposed to take place between trilogies, the rise of the Empire and the birth of the rebellion. However, they say they aren't going to have the major chararcters in it at all, so I think it could be a good series. I only hope its not what some have rumored, that it is going to focus on Boba Fett. Who cares, after all?

Maybe have the odd episode about some of the Jedi that did manage to escape Order 66 and went into hiding.
              That would be great, except that would be explicit admission that Jedi other than Obi-Wan and Yoda lived. I'm not sure George will want that.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
                No, as I said above.

That ruins alot of moments in The Original Trilogy.
                Well, sure, for newbies do it that way.

But for SW afficianados, I think you should watch them in chronological order. Besides, you'll end up watching the better movies at the end anyway.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Comment

To a degree, I do envy my workmate who is going to see them for the first time in that order, although I may have to encourage him to stick with it after the first one especially.

That being said, the memory of going to the cinema as a 4 year old, and seeing the Blockade Runner, then the Star Destroyer coming over the top is one that will live with me 'til I die.

Maybe I didn't have the right words then, but I think that the current equivalent would get censored

And strangely enough, my reaction was exactly the same to that scene when it was re-released 20 years later, only more so with the improvement in sound

You'll Never Walk Alone

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Comment

It's supposed to take place between trilogies, the rise of the Empire and the birth of the rebellion. However, they say they aren't going to have the major chararcters in it at all, so I think it could be a good series. I only hope its not what some have rumored, that it is going to focus on Boba Fett. Who cares, after all?
                    Boba Fett's fine in a limited number of episodes but, especially if I read somewhere it's going to be a 100 episodes, not as a major player in it. The whole culture of the bounty hunters can be an interesting diversion, but no more than that.

That would be great, except that would be explicit admission that Jedi other than Obi-Wan and Yoda lived. I'm not sure George will want that.
                    The thing with that is that George has given indirect permission for an extremely limited number of Jedi and 'Force Sensitives' to have survived in what's been allowed in the EU novels and comics.

You'll Never Walk Alone

Comment

Boba Fett's fine in a limited number of episodes but, especially if I read somewhere it's going to be a 100 episodes, not as a major player in it. The whole culture of the bounty hunters can be an interesting diversion, but no more than that.
                      Exactly!

The thing with that is that George has given indirect permission for an extremely limited number of Jedi and 'Force Sensitives' to have survived in what's been allowed in the EU novels and comics.
                      Not necessarily. Several times he's defied and even outright destroyed EU lore, so I don't think he's above quashing such things. Remember, I'm on your side. I think some would have survived and should be around. I just don't know if that appeals to George.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Comment

Exactly!

Not necessarily. Several times he's defied and even outright destroyed EU lore, so I don't think he's above quashing such things. Remember, I'm on your side. I think some would have survived and should be around. I just don't know if that appeals to George.
                        Time will tell, I suppose. Any idea of a timeline on when production is going to start on the show?

And please, just one little note to George........Keep Tarkin out of the TV show. The way he was portrayed at the end of RotS was fine, but Peter Cushing was such a distinctive and individual actor that I think that it would be a struggle to find someone today with that type of presence.

You'll Never Walk Alone

Comment

Time will tell, I suppose. Any idea of a timeline on when production is going to start on the show?
                          Last information I saw was the fall of the 2006 season.

And please, just one little note to George........Keep Tarkin out of the TV show. The way he was portrayed at the end of RotS was fine, but Peter Cushing was such a distinctive and individual actor that I think that it would be a struggle to find someone today with that type of presence.
                          Some people have said that Firefly was in many respects what SW should have been, that the stories there weren't about the big players but everyday people just trying to make their way. I think and maybe hope this series will do that sort of thing. Have 'bit players' that struggle and make a difference.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Comment

Last information I saw was the fall of the 2006 season.

Some people have said that Firefly was in many respects what SW should have been, that the stories there weren't about the big players but everyday people just trying to make their way. I think and maybe hope this series will do that sort of thing. Have 'bit players' that struggle and make a difference.
                            Thanks for the date, that's not too long to wait.

I can see what you mean about Firefly, I'd not really thought of it in that regard before.

The other thing is that I hope that they keep it accessible to kids. After seeing RotS at the cinema, there was no way I was going to take my six year old to see it at the cinema, it would have probably scared him to death. Whilst I don't think that will be a problem on the small screen, I'll find out at the weekend, I don't want to see the series go as dark and adult as Firefly or Battlestar Galactica, I want to be able to watch it with James.

You'll Never Walk Alone

Comment

[QUOTE=Eldritch] Well, you're going to get your wish. Don't you know about the television series? [QUOTE]

I think the TV series will ruin Star Wars for me if I watch them....

I have not read the books. but would like to check them out. maybe they'll be even better because I've seen the movies first.

whats the first book called? how many books are there? is there a certain order in which you read them like the movies?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TDforTatum26
                                I think the TV series will ruin Star Wars for me if I watch them....
                                I think that's a legitimate fear, but I think because they will be much more constrained by budget they'll be forced to tell better STORIES and have better character development. Time will tell.

I have not read the books. but would like to check them out. maybe they'll be even better because I've seen the movies first.

whats the first book called? how many books are there? is there a certain order in which you read them like the movies?
                                Oh boy. Are you talking strictly about the novelizations of the movies? If so, the titles correspond to the movie titles.

Now, if you're talking about the 'Expanded Universe' books, that's something different altogether.

The books chronicle the GFFA after Return of the Jedi (prequel and pre-prequel stuff I think it documented more by comic series and video games). There are a LOT, probably too many if you ask me. There probably have to be close to 75-100 by now.

Now you might like them, and many do. Personally, I find most of them not well written, with bad plots and terrible, criminal handling of the main characters. I believe you can find much better writing in fanfiction. But if you want to get your feet wet, look for the first trilogy of SW books by Timothy Zahn. They are what really invigorated the SW franchise and are considered some of the best books.

They are 'Heir to the Empire', 'Dark Force Rising' and 'The Last Command'.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Comment

Working...
                                X