X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Den21-Bal19
    replied
    Originally posted by TDforTatum26

in the movie how come they ordered C3PO's memory erased but not R2-D2's? I wondered this at the end of Revenge of the Sith....and how it was kind of random in the movies because its not mentioned again but R2 still remembers it....
    I've just finished the deleted scenes on Sith and a thought occured to me about that. In one of the deleted scenes Mon Mothma, Bail Organa and other senators are talking with Padme in her apartments and Threepio is serving them. Organa and Mon Mothma, along with Garm Bel Iblis, were the founding members of the Rebel Alliance so maybe Organa just wanted to make sure that records of that meeting were destroyed. Artoo was with Anakin at the time and therefore he had no knowledge of the meeting.

Leave a comment:

• Eldritch
    replied
    Originally posted by Den21-Bal19
    One word of advice to anyone who wants to read the novelizations, the novels for I, II & III are very good novels, however (if you can find them) the original trilogy novelizations are nowhere near as good.
    I second this.

Leave a comment:

• Den21-Bal19
    replied
    One word of advice to anyone who wants to read the novelizations, the novels for I, II & III are very good novels, however (if you can find them) the original trilogy novelizations are nowhere near as good.

Leave a comment:

• Eldritch
    replied
    I've read some of it, same as the novels some is extremely good, some pretty poor. Problem is though, I don't particuarly like reading large amounts of text on the PC, not like I would with a book, and I can't always be bothered to print stuff out. There's nothing quite like having a book in your hand.
    I can understand that, many are the same way.

I quite like the Mara character and haven't really come across any real opposition to her, although that being said I never really bother with fan messaage boards etc, so I've not really got any feedback. Considering that she's appeared in virtually all of the post-Jedi novels, someone obviously likes her!
    Oh, the fanboys love her! But there is a large and very loud group of SW fans that think she is the most awful thing to ever appear in the written word. I could also go into detail and examples, but I will follow your lead in refraining for now.

I like her as well and think she's gotten a bum wrap.

Leave a comment:

• Den21-Bal19
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldritch
    Wow, you read all of those books. I'm impressed. Do you get into fanfiction at all?
    I've read some of it, same as the novels some is extremely good, some pretty poor. Problem is though, I don't particuarly like reading large amounts of text on the PC, not like I would with a book, and I can't always be bothered to print stuff out. There's nothing quite like having a book in your hand.

As for the number of books, well I've been collecting them since Heir To The Empire, which was '89, I think, so that works out about 6 new books a year.

The big problem is that you never know what the quality will be like 'til you read it, and they keep refering to events that occur in other books. Since I like to no whats going on, that means I have to read them

Another slight problem has been that the books aren't always released in chronological order. Seperating the Prequel and Original trilogies apart, an event may be refered to a year before the story in which it occurs is released. For example, an Original character, with a fair bit of screen time, was killed in the New Jedi Order series and is mentioned in the first book published, but the actual tale of the death was published three books and a year later Sort of ruins the suprise, y'know?

Ah, yes. Mara Jade. Half of SW fans lust/love her to death, the other half want her killed in the worst possible way. The vitriol with the latter is staggering.
    I quite like the Mara character and haven't really come across any real opposition to her, although that being said I never really bother with fan messaage boards etc, so I've not really got any feedback. Considering that she's appeared in virtually all of the post-Jedi novels, someone obviously likes her!

Bearing in mind her back story, as told in the Thrawn trilogy, I can't quite make up my mind whether what they've done with her is blindingly obvious or completely impossible

Obviously, I'm trying not to give too much away here, in case people decide to read the novels. If you want the short version of what I'm talking about, drop me a PM

Leave a comment:

• Eldritch
    replied
    I think I've read all the novels that are currently available, other than the young reader ones. As you suggest some are great, some are bobbins but the continuity between them and back stories mean that it is quite easy to miss stuff if you just stick to specific authors.
    Wow, you read all of those books. I'm impressed. Do you get into fanfiction at all?

A bit of both, the cardinal characters are still there, characters such as Admiral Ackbar & Wedge Antilles are fleshed out, and new characters such as Mara Jade, Grand Admiral Thrawn and Talon Karrde are introduced.
    Ah, yes. Mara Jade. Half of SW fans lust/love her to death, the other half want her killed in the worst possible way. The vitriol with the latter is staggering.

George Lucas, IMO is a great story teller, he just needs a little help filling in the dialogue!
    Exactly.

Leave a comment:

• Den21-Bal19
    replied
    Yeah, I know I'm harsh and I know there are many who really like them.

I take it you've read a bunch of the books?
    I think I've read all the novels that are currently available, other than the young reader ones. As you suggest some are great, some are bobbins but the continuity between them and back stories mean that it is quite easy to miss stuff if you just stick to specific authors.

Now THAT'S cool. What books is Artoo doing that?
    Troy Denning's Dark Nest trilogy, final one comes out in December, I think.

in Zahn's books are the same characters in them or are they different characters?
    A bit of both, the cardinal characters are still there, characters such as Admiral Ackbar & Wedge Antilles are fleshed out, and new characters such as Mara Jade, Grand Admiral Thrawn and Talon Karrde are introduced.

in the movie how come they ordered C3PO's memory erased but not R2-D2's? I wondered this at the end of Revenge of the Sith....and how it was kind of random in the movies because its not mentioned again but R2 still remembers it....
    I just wonder if George liked the 'secure' memory idea that was suggested in the X-Wings. Supposedly any attempt to break the memory would result in it's erasure, maybe it can be only deleted by the droid's owner, in Artoo's case either Anakin or Padme.

refresh my memory....

who said that line and when did it happen? Was it Padme Almildala(spelt wrong)? cause I found her acting in this movie very cheesy.....
    It was Vader when Palpatine told him that he'd killed Padme. I felt a little sorry for the Padme character, she wasn't given a great deal in this movie.

George Lucas, IMO is a great story teller, he just needs a little help filling in the dialogue!

Leave a comment:

• TDforTatum26
    replied
    Originally posted by Snk16
    Didn't anybody find the "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" in Episode III kinda cheesy?
    refresh my memory....

who said that line and when did it happen? Was it Padme Almildala(spelt wrong)? cause I found her acting in this movie very cheesy.....

Leave a comment:

• Snk16
    replied
    Didn't anybody find the "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" in Episode III kinda cheesy?

Leave a comment:

• TDforTatum26
    replied
    in Zahn's books are the same characters in them or are they different characters?

that sounds cool about how Luke finds out fragments during when Annakin was with R2-D2....

Leave a comment:

• Eldritch
    replied
    Harsh on some of them, but that's a pretty good summation.
    Yeah, I know I'm harsh and I know there are many who really like them.

The X-Wing & Wraith books are pretty good, mostly because they're almost completely new charaters, centred around Wedge Antilles, with only some fleeting appearances in general by the main characters.
    I really should probably read them someday.

They've just pulled a little trick with Artoo in the latest novels. One of the things that was refered to in the X-Wing series was that combat astrodroids had a protected memory area. At the end of RotS, Bail Organa ordered Threepio's memory wiped, but not Artoo's. So after having him for 35 years, Luke starts to find segments of the events that Artoo witnessed whilst Artoo was with Anakin.
    Now THAT'S cool. What books is Artoo doing that?

I take it you've read a bunch of the books?

Leave a comment:

• Den21-Bal19
    replied
    Sure, go ahead and read the novelizations. They make a difference.

Here is a link to the SW books, just so you can understand the scope. Looks like they might have over 100 by now:

http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/st.../timeline.html

You have some series that are niche products. The Rogue and Wraith Squadron series are supposed to be some of the best ones around (I haven't read them). You then have the Young Jedi Knights series that showcases Han and Leia's children (I call them the Wonderbrats). It goes on and on from there.

If you want to read beyond the novelizations, I do think you should start with the three I recommended. You can go from there.

As to whether they are good or not. There are legions that are rabid about the EU, so it obviously has a large and dedicated following (they couldn't write as many books without it). I have two main problems with them. First, the formula they used:

Some remnant of the Empire discovers/builds the superweapon du jour. It's up to the heroes to find out about it and stop it!

The second one is how the books treat the characters. Han is pretty much castrated and the mighty Chewbacca is essentially the hairiest babysitter in the GFFA. Poor Luke is abused and can't keep a woman to save his life (for instance, he falls in love with a Jedi who sacrificed herself to save a planet, and ended up merged with a spaceship!). Artoo is simply ignored.

Now, these are just my opinions (though there are those who share it) so its only worth what you pay for it. I've just seen so much writing that isn't published that is better in every regard than the mass produced official stuff. Some is pretty good, but a lot isn't.

Bottom line is, there's enough SW for anyone out there so if you're craving more go for it!
    Harsh on some of them, but that's a pretty good summation. The X-Wing & Wraith books are pretty good, mostly because they're almost completely new charaters, centred around Wedge Antilles, with only some fleeting appearances in general by the main characters.

Timothy Zahn's stuff is about the best, in addition to the Thrawn Trilogy, there's also a pair of books Spectre of the Past & Vision of the Future which sort out Luke's love life and does a bit with the Chiss, Survivor's Quest which is more Chiss and the fate of the Outbound Flight project and there's another Zahn one, Outbound Flight set prior to the Clone Wars, and due out next year. If it's upto Zahn's usual standards I'm looking forward to that one. It's hard to believe, but Zhan's original books are now 16 years old!

They've just pulled a little trick with Artoo in the latest novels. One of the things that was refered to in the X-Wing series was that combat astrodroids had a protected memory area. At the end of RotS, Bail Organa ordered Threepio's memory wiped, but not Artoo's. So after having him for 35 years, Luke starts to find segments of the events that Artoo witnessed whilst Artoo was with Anakin.

Leave a comment:

• Eldritch
    replied
    Sure, go ahead and read the novelizations. They make a difference.

Here is a link to the SW books, just so you can understand the scope. Looks like they might have over 100 by now:

http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/st.../timeline.html

You have some series that are niche products. The Rogue and Wraith Squadron series are supposed to be some of the best ones around (I haven't read them). You then have the Young Jedi Knights series that showcases Han and Leia's children (I call them the Wonderbrats). It goes on and on from there.

If you want to read beyond the novelizations, I do think you should start with the three I recommended. You can go from there.

As to whether they are good or not. There are legions that are rabid about the EU, so it obviously has a large and dedicated following (they couldn't write as many books without it). I have two main problems with them. First, the formula they used:

Some remnant of the Empire discovers/builds the superweapon du jour. It's up to the heroes to find out about it and stop it!

The second one is how the books treat the characters. Han is pretty much castrated and the mighty Chewbacca is essentially the hairiest babysitter in the GFFA. Poor Luke is abused and can't keep a woman to save his life (for instance, he falls in love with a Jedi who sacrificed herself to save a planet, and ended up merged with a spaceship!). Artoo is simply ignored.

Now, these are just my opinions (though there are those who share it) so its only worth what you pay for it. I've just seen so much writing that isn't published that is better in every regard than the mass produced official stuff. Some is pretty good, but a lot isn't.

Bottom line is, there's enough SW for anyone out there so if you're craving more go for it!

Leave a comment:

• TDforTatum26
    replied
    Originally posted by broncosfan247
    episode 1 has always been on my **** list, but just watched 2 yesterday and enjoyed it more when I was able to see 3 right after it. Seemed to blend better than all of the other episodes other than 5 to 6.

Favorite would probable be in the order of V, III, IV, VI, II, clone wars cartoons , I.
    My order is VI,III,V,IV,II,I

I watched III yesturday.....and to tell you the truth I didnt like it at first....but like half way into the movie it got REALLY good.

I love VI. the last scene is awsome when Luke sees Obi-Wan,Yoda, and his Dad. but I heard on the DVD's on the old trilogies that they edited Hayden Christianson in that scene.....which is stupid.....but whatever.

Leave a comment:

• broncosfan247
    replied
    episode 1 has always been on my **** list, but just watched 2 yesterday and enjoyed it more when I was able to see 3 right after it. Seemed to blend better than all of the other episodes other than 5 to 6.

Favorite would probable be in the order of V, III, IV, VI, II, clone wars cartoons , I.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X