Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BroncoManiac_69
    replied
    Pop stations are the worst. They call it top 40 I guess but you hear the top 10 over and over again with the other 30 mixed. Country music does it too but not nearly at the level pop stations do it.

I can't stand our local pop station. It floors me when lunch hour they say "all music by request". Well, they play the same dam songs as an other hour. Why would people call up and request a song they just heard?

Leave a comment:

• Elway
    replied
    I hate when songs get heavily rotated so you hear them 3 to 4 times in a regular work day, 5 days a week for weeks on end. It goes from being new, to growing on you, to be familiar, to being downright annoying.

One station that I sometimes listen to has to play Kelly Clarkson almost evey hour... but that got them off the Gwen Stefani kick.

Leave a comment:

• broncosphreek
    replied
    what about Holloback Girl by Gwen Stefani? argh...

Leave a comment:

• BroncoManiac_69
    replied
    Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan
    --- is your list comprised of all types of radio formats ? --- or is it just the mainstream country/pop/r+b --- all of the songs on your list seem on the "tame" side ---

--- although early Led Zep is still one of my favorite groups, "Stairway To Heaven" seems to have worn it's welcome out a long time ago --- suprised that one didn't make the list --- it is still overplayed !

--- and what about the dreaded "Louie-Louie" by the Kingsman ??? ---
    I was reading Jared's list looking for Stairway to Heaven myself. That was the first song that popped in my head just reading the thread title. Back in Black is a more recent one I suppose. Both Led Zep and AC/DC are killer bands that put out mega music and both bands have those two songs played the most. It is quite annoying. What happened to variety on these classic rock channels anyway? Another reason I turned to country music over 20 years ago.

But if you included wedding rececptions, YMCA would be another one way over played. lol

Leave a comment:

• chickennob2
    replied
    One song that obviously cant be on the list due to its relatively recent release, but that has still been played way too much, leading to its extreme commercialization and loss of true meaning, is Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. It’s a good song, but by no means one of Nirvana's best, and for the majority of Americans, it is the only Nirvana song they have ever heard. The song is way overplayed.

Yes, this doesn’t answer the question, as it is DEFINITELY not THE most overplayed song, but it is definitely overplayed.

Leave a comment:

• AZ Snake Fan
    replied
    --- Muchas Gracias, Don Jared ---

--- thanks for a very concise and clear explanation --- i think you have answered the question ! ---

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan
    --- is your list comprised of all types of radio formats ? --- or is it just the mainstream country/pop/r+b --- all of the songs on your list seem on the "tame" side ---

--- although early Led Zep is still one of my favorite groups, "Stairway To Heaven" seems to have worn it's welcome out a long time ago --- suprised that one didn't make the list --- it is still overplayed !

My list is strictly numerical based on airplay, regardless of format.

Granted, its leans pop, but that is because pop radio, even back in the 50's on the AM dial, has always had tight playlists with songs that eventually burn out. Plus, it was not unusual in the 50's and 60's to hear a top single once an hour on a station!!!!! So that is why so many older songs have so many plays.

So it stands to reason that any artists who has a radio hit in one of the pop styled formats (country, CHR, AC, R&B) will have more plays than a song like Stairway, for a few reasons:

There are more pop stations than Rock/classic Rock/AOR in the U.S.

Not all college stations monitor or report airplay (So, back in the 70's, bands like Led Zep & King Crimson could get tons of college airplay and no royalties).

The songs on rock stations tend to be longer, thus less songs overall get played. So, it's impossible to get as many airplays as you would on a "must be under 4 minutes" pop station.

It is estimated that Stairway to Heaven MIGHT be the most played song of all time, but it is impossible to know, because a large chunk of their airplay was not reported in the 70's. They actually get played more now than they did in their hey day.

Yes, rock stations overplay certain artists, but generally because of their willingness to have a larger library by artists, the songs themselves don't burn out as much. I played Stairway about once every 10 days in my classic rock gig. But I played a Led Zep tune 3 times a shift some days.

Pop stations (and now oldies, which are essentially time warp pop stations) are song oriented, regardless of artist.

Leave a comment:

• AZ Snake Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Jared
    Well, I answered the question, I think?

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    how about that god dam james blunt, with your beautiful,i hate that song.im sure all the guys from the UK know what im saying

Leave a comment:

• xX-Bronco-Xx
    replied
    All Greenday songs!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    Originally posted by EMCF

Also, completely unrelated. But I hate the Gilmore Girls.
    The show or the actressess?

Lauren Graham could be my snuggle buddy anytime.

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    Originally posted by IZAAK
    Well Jared you just killed that thread didnt you?

Well, I answered the question, I think?

Leave a comment:

• EMCF
    replied
    Who let the dogs out...

Mambo Number 5?

Also, completely unrelated. But I hate the Gilmore Girls.

Leave a comment:

• TDforTatum26
    replied
    Originally posted by IZAAK

lol I didnt even read all of his post.......

I swear the radio station here played Hoobastank-The Reason about A MILLION TIMES A DAY! well thats stretching it a bit but seriously i think I heard it about 3-5 times a day.... I hate that song
    Last edited by Skywalker; 11-03-2005, 09:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IZAAK
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X