the passion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the passion

who here is planning on seeing mel gibson's movie "the passion"? i plan on seeing it as soon as it comes out. i'm interested in what you all think b/c i just read a story saying it is expected to have a big opening.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._o_1&printer=1
    sigpic
    go broncos
    share the sidewalk
    liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

SIGH.

As a Catholic, I have serious issues with the personal paltform that this movie suppsoedly represents. I need to see it before making any final judgements.

Mel Gibson has openly stated that he is a conservatve Catholic. He basically believes that the groundbreaking theological work of Vatican II was incorrect and that Catholics who prescribe to it are not truly devout. My understanding is that this movei basically reflects that belief.

I don't mind someone having different beliefs, but to say that someone of your own faith doesn't have true faith is somewhat disappointing. And I am not happy about the some local Catholic dioceses backing this movie and encourging members to see it multiple times. Pretty weird for a movie that they probably haven't pre-screened themsleves, regardless of the quality fo the film. I just don't think that priests and bishops should do that as a some sort of official church business. Its one thing if I ASK for their opinion on film, but to place it in the parish announcements or in the homily just seems like a mild abuse of position to me. Its like they want it to be commercially popular, and that is not what churches are supposed to care about.

That being said, I do wish to see it...but probably on DVD. If nothing else, it looks like an extraordinarily well made film.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
    You should check these guys out

Comment

All I need to hear is Mel and Passion in the same sentence and Im there!!!!!!!

Just kidding, is he even in the movie...if not then I will probably wait for it to come to DVD....LOL...but I am interested in seeing this movie because of the hype it has gotten....it sounds like he stepped on some toes with this movie and I'd like to see why.....but then again, anything that Mel does is OK with me

Comment

Haha, once I saw Mels name I thought of O&B420, and new she would be one of the first to reply.LOL.

Comment

First: it's called: "The Passion of the Christ" but I can see you you got that, unless you just shortened it. They changed the name so many times.

Second: No, Mel isn't in the movie, he directed and funded it.

Third: Since he did it with his own money and time, I think he has free reign to do whatever he wants with it, and since his only purpose of making the film was to help people understand what Christ did for us (and not get publicity and make people mad) I don't see the problem.

Fourth: I'm going to go see it. And then see it again, and probably again. And eventually own it so that I can watch it over and over...we shall see. I have faith that it will do what Mel intended it to do. And since he had God backing him on this one, it doesn't really matter how much flak he gets.

"For if God is for us, who can be against us?"

'The Holy Ghost was working through me on this film,' Gibson has said of his work on 'The Passion.' 'I was just direct_ing traffic'
          sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
            And I am not happy about the some local Catholic dioceses backing this movie and encourging members to see it multiple times. Pretty weird for a movie that they probably haven't pre-screened themsleves, regardless of the quality fo the film.
            my understanding is that multiple high lvl catholics have endorsed it as an accurate portrayal of christian beliefs. i know protestant pastors have. although the rumor about the pope endorsing it wasn't true lol.
            sigpic
            go broncos
            share the sidewalk

Comment

Originally posted by mattos
              my understanding is that multiple high lvl catholics have endorsed it as an accurate portrayal of christian beliefs. i know protestant pastors have. although the rumor about the pope endorsing it wasn't true lol.
              Actually, from what I read recently, the rumor really is true and that the attempts to say it isn't is the falsehood.

From what Mel's said there were many, many conversions of people that worked on the movie. I think that's interesting.

I think I will probably watch it on DVD just from a cinematic perspective.
              Victory and defeat are matters of the temporary force of circumstance.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Comment

My wife I are very excited to see anything positive coming out of
                hollywood . We hope Mel does very well on this brave venture .
                We will be there in force opening night
                It is my honor to serve him

Comment

I will not see this mess. Didn't they do a movie a few years back called "The Last Temptation of Christ"? Wasn't that enough?
                  [QUOTE]
                  If someone uses one of your quotes, it really means that they agree with it and they're upset they didn't get the chance to say it first---- Dave Navarro 1991

The main reason I don't like the Bronco's is because every time I see their logo it reminds me of my drunk boyfriend who used to write his name in the snow with his urine then belch the letters of Elway's name----- Sandra Bernhard 1993

Comment

Originally posted by dhall26
                    I will not see this mess. Didn't they do a movie a few years back called "The Last Temptation of Christ"? Wasn't that enough?
                    and i thought you were more than just a troll. horseface would be proud.
                    sigpic
                    go broncos
                    share the sidewalk

Comment

dhall

You should stick to doing meaningless polls & try harder to hide your mega ignorance on this subject
                      It is my honor to serve him

Comment

Originally posted by Littlebear
                        We hope Mel does very well on this brave venture .
                        I saw an interview with Mel about this movie and he is concerned that it may be a career buster.
                        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69
                          I saw an interview with Mel about this movie and he is concerned that it may be a career buster.
                          That's interesting. More likely it will solidify his directing reputation, along with the awesome Braveheart.
                          Victory and defeat are matters of the temporary force of circumstance.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Comment

He is afraid that people that see the movie may not agree with the position that it portrays and that the general public would hold it against him.

Funny how that works don't you think?
                            :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Hmm...I really wonder.

I think his real worry is that people will take it in the wrong context. His intent in making the film was to help people understand what Jesus did for us. Not start controversy (which he most likely expected because you can't not have a controversy about this).

I don't think he'll have to worry about his career. It seems like most people respect him for what he's doing. And he's not doing it to get recognition for his directing skills or make money or anything. He's doing it for the right reasons.

I posted this comment of his earlier: "The Holy Spirit is in charge of this project and I'm just directing traffic." Well, that's not exactly it, but that's the jist...the real quote is further up in one of my other posts but anyway.

I've always liked Mel and now I really have way more respect for him. It's good to finally see that someone in Hollywood gets it.
                              sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Working...
                              X