Last movie you saw-and rate it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
    Gah I was hoping the sequel to this would be good since a lot of people have been saying it would be since the first one was dreadful. At least you saved me money there.
    yes please do yourself a favor and do not waste your money, or time on it.

it's ridiculous crap.

the only way they got an R-Rating (which was totally to draw the fanbase) was because they added 3 or 4 F-words more than a PG-13 is allowed, and had a wee-bit more blood.

Oh and I guess naked dead pregnant chics...but I dunno...
    sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

• Night Passage (1957 James Stewart/Audie Murphy) 6.5/10

If not for James Stewart, I wouldn't have been able to watch the movie....I almost didn't finish watching due to its painfully slow start. Stewart is a pleasure to watch and the movie paid off with a good 2nd half, particularly the final 30 minutes. Jack Elam (wasn't he in every western? ) and Hugh Beaumont (yep, of "Leave it to Beaver" fame) had small roles.
      My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

• The French Connection (1971 Gene Hackman/ Roy Scheider/ Fernando Rey/ Tony Lo Bianco) 10/10

Wow. It does my heart good to watch a 36 year old movie that beats the hell out of every recent cop movie. Best cop movie ever? Perhaps... definitely gets my vote. Being based on a true story is a plus, as is the involvement of the detectives portrayed by Hackman and Scheider. Director William Friedkin (The Exorcist) did a remarkable job. The chase scene....... let me just comment YEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Thinking about watching some crappy new release? Watch this movie instead.

Comment

• Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects (1989 Charles Bronson) 5/10

Hadn't watched this in a long time..... it's the one where Bronson plays an angry cop . He beats the hell out of a bunch of bad guys....even kills some of them . Plot isn't allowed to interfere with the movie.

I'll always be a huge fan of Bronson. This isn't his best 80's effort and certainly isn't his worst. For Bronson fans only.

I'd have given the movie a 6, perhaps even a 6.5, had it included a scene in which Bronson kicked the crap out of whoever was responsible for the soundtrack.

Comment

• NAtional Treasure II Book of secrets.

Nicholas cage.
            I liked the first National treasure movie. I knoiw it isnt the most realistic thing but I liked the way the writers incorporated all these historical things into the treasure hunt.
            Part two is pretty much a photo copy of the first, with the treasur ehunters looking for the CITY OF GOLD. But it was still pretty entertaining. Once again the ties with history are what sets it apart. I like them.. I'd recommend it if you just want to go watch a good meaningless movie..

If you are looking for stellar acting and Oscar winning story lines thenthis wont do it for ya. But all in all I'd say worth a night at the movies.

Comment

• National Treasure 2: The Book of Secrets - 8/10

I've never seen the first National Treasure, so I didn't know what to expect of this. I have to say that I enjoyed it WAY more than I thought I would. As mid_evil_thymz said, its pretty entertaining. I might even see it again before it leaves theaters
              sigpic

Comment

• Assassination (1987 Charles Bronson/Jill Ireland) 5.5/10

The last of the 16 movies Bronson and his wife, Ireland, appeared in together and Ireland's next-to-last movie before passing away in 1990. Sad story...Bronson never recovered from her loss. Bronson plays a secret service agent assigned to protect the first lady, Ireland. Not bad...and nice to see them together. R.I.P., Charles and Jill.

A little attention to detail would have helped..... Bronson was to jump off a motorcycle in front of a gunman.... poor camera work showed a stunt man, probably 30 years Bronson's junior, far too well. It didn't have to be so obvious....shouldn't it at least take slow motion to detect the change?

Comment

• Donnie Brasco: 8/10

I don't know what took me so long to get around to this movie.

I love Al Pacino and his yelling ways. This was sort of a different role for him. Where we usually see him in control, instigating this and organizing that...here he plays Lefty, an old Wise Guy in Brooklyn's mafia, who feels like he's overdue for promotion for his 30 years of uncomplaining hard work.

Johnny Depp shines as an undercover F.B.I. agent whom Pacino takes in and "vouches" for.

The arch of Depp's character and the transformation is great and the two actors excel in their roles.

It's a great sleeper mob movie without all the flash and flare of something like Godfather or Goodfellas. It's more wrapped up, personal and also I guess based on a true story.

It felt like The Departed with less characters, and not as many rats.

I would say it's a great flick to lay back on the couch and watch one afternoon.

Fo'getta'bout...it.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Once Upon A Time In The West: 8/10

Preface:

I think all the hype that I generated prior to viewing affected it.

Now, Leone was such a mastermind.

One thing that I notice about every one of his films and I love about them is the sound effects editing. His films have such crisp sound and that says so much considering the lesser technology then.

He leaves nothing out, and more often than not, I believe he uses background sound as his pallate and heightens our senses. When you combine that with the extreme close ups, the brilliant panning and scenery, not only do you get beautiful cinematography, but great tension.

The tension he builds with the opening scene alone, where nothing fantastic happens is amazing. The constant creak of the wind mill, the wind, and the fly buzzing around are great, and then the fly has character development all in those moments. You're not sure if the guy is going to slap it...or shoot it and you're interested. Again, how Leone accomplishes this, is just incredible.

The story line I found a bit confusing. I may have missed something there because I was trying to figure out what Henry Fonda's motives were, as well as Claudia Cardinale's character. Then Bronson's character was just so seemingly thrown in throughout the majority of the film that you really weren't sure what his deal was. I mean, why was he important. I'm not sure he was to the overall plotline...since they don't really give you the reason why he's looking for Fonda.

However, even with "weak" plot development at small parts, this film was great. I'm always pleased by the cinematography of Tonino Delli Colli and the music of so far every Leone film. It's always just so simple. Some guitar, or a trumpet, or even whistling and here a harmonica always end up being awesome music that can both build tension and make you feel like a regular bad ass cowboy.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
                      Once Upon A Time In The West: 8/10

Then Bronson's character was just so seemingly thrown in throughout the majority of the film that you really weren't sure what his deal was. I mean, why was he important. I'm not sure he was to the overall plotline...since they don't really give you the reason why he's looking for Fonda.
                      Sorry... I don't normally give spoilers, but...........

Sure they did. Bronson's older brother was one of Fonda's victims. The Quick and the Dead borrowed that part of the story.... Sharon Stone, as a girl, was handed a gun as her father was being hanged by Gene Hackman and his cronies. She attempted to shoot the rope, but shot her father instead. Fonda and co. were hanging Bronson's older brother. Bronson was the young boy with his arms tied behind his back....as his brother was standing on his shoulders. Fonda stuck the harmonica in Bronson's mouth and told him to keep his brother happy. His brother kicked him out of the way and died, but there is no way a young boy (or a grown man, for that matter) could have stood there forever keeping his brother's body from dropping.

Motives for Fonda and Cardinale........ Cardinale was to marry the man Fonda killed at the beginning of the movie. As to what made her want to stay, I'm not sure other than the fact she had set her mind to it. Can't say Fonda needed much in the way of motive. Ruthless killer, gun for hire. Just a bad guy, I suppose, but my favorite bad guy in a western nonetheless. Those eyes.........

Cool story by Fonda in the bonus features.... he went with his wife to see the movie and, after his first killing scene (Fonda's face wasn't shown for a while) , a man sitting in front of him jumped up and yelled (at the screen) (not verbatim) "Holy crap....it's Henry Fonda!!" Behind him, Fonda replied "Yeah, it's me, but could you keep it down...people will talk".

I bet the guy hit the roof. What are the odds of the actor himself sitting behind you in the theater?
                      Last edited by keithbishop; 01-01-2008, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• I Am Legend

I know some of you didn't think this movie was that great, but I have to tell you, I was so engrossed and a very willing spectator during this story. I had such empathy for the main character. I was wonderfully creeped-out and had to hide my eyes in places.

For the story, scare factor, Will Smith and puppy, I give this movie a high 8/10.

Comment

• Bratz..The Movie 6/10

My daughter got it for christmas.

It was a cute kids movie.

Comment

• Stick It 8/10..cute movie.

http://www.mtv.com/movies/movie/275920/moviemain.jhtml

A cocky teenager learns some important lessons about playing by her own rules in this comedy drama. Haley Graham (Missy Peregrym) is a gifted 17-year-old gymnast with a strong rebellious streak -- strong enough that she walked away from her teammates on the eve of a major international tournament because she'd had enough of the rigid regimentation of Team U.S.A. After experiencing a scrape with the law with her extreme-cycling friends, Haley is given an unusual sentence -- attending the Vickerman Gymnastics Academy, a world-class training facility run by Burt Vickerman (Jeff Bridges), who has led some of the world's greatest gymnasts to championship status. Haley makes no secret of her dislike of life at Vickerman's, and her fellow athletes aren't about to forgive her just yet for letting down her teammates. But while Vickerman makes clear things are to be done his way, he respects Haley's talent, and together she shows him and her new teammates how to follow the rules while still expressing your individuality. Also starring Tarah Paige and Vanessa Lengies, Stick It was the first directorial credit for Jessica Bendinger, who wrote the critically praised teen comedy Bring It On. ~ Mark Deming, All Movie Guide

Comment

• Originally posted by keithbishop View Post
                              Sorry... I don't normally give spoilers, but...........

Sure they did. Bronson's older brother was one of Fonda's victims. The Quick and the Dead borrowed that part of the story.... Sharon Stone, as a girl, was handed a gun as her father was being hanged by Gene Hackman and his cronies. She attempted to shoot the rope, but shot her father instead. Fonda and co. were hanging Bronson's older brother. Bronson was the young boy with his arms tied behind his back....as his brother was standing on his shoulders. Fonda stuck the harmonica in Bronson's mouth and told him to keep his brother happy. His brother kicked him out of the way and died, but there is no way a young boy (or a grown man, for that matter) could have stood there forever keeping his brother's body from dropping.

Motives for Fonda and Cardinale........ Cardinale was to marry the man Fonda killed at the beginning of the movie. As to what made her want to stay, I'm not sure other than the fact she had set her mind to it. Can't say Fonda needed much in the way of motive. Ruthless killer, gun for hire. Just a bad guy, I suppose, but my favorite bad guy in a western nonetheless. Those eyes.........

Cool story by Fonda in the bonus features.... he went with his wife to see the movie and, after his first killing scene (Fonda's face wasn't shown for a while) , a man sitting in front of him jumped up and yelled (at the screen) (not verbatim) "Holy crap....it's Henry Fonda!!" Behind him, Fonda replied "Yeah, it's me, but could you keep it down...people will talk".

I bet the guy hit the roof. What are the odds of the actor himself sitting behind you in the theater?
                              Haha, yeah that would be insane having someone like that watching the movie while you were.

I guess I meant up until the point where it shows what Fonda did to him and his brother. I mean throughout the film there are little hints, but other than that you really don't get a good idea until the stand-off where it finally becomes clear.

Although, that's exactly what they did. Because they showed Fonda's character all blurry in a few shots and he'd progressively get more clear until the end where he pulls out the harmonica. So...overall I mean, I knew that Bronson wanted Fonda for himself...and it's not necessarily a plot "hole" as maybe just a weaker spot. But with Leone, I'm guaranteeing that was on purpose.

I'll agree though. Fonda is one bad-ass bad guy. Hahaha. They really did accent his eyes. It was awesome. Like, how could a guy with really deep blue eyes kill so hardcore....but at the same time, they're blue as ice-cold...

I really am excited that I finally got to see it. And I even own it now...picked it up in a pawn shop for 7 bucks.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
                                Haha, yeah that would be insane having someone like that watching the movie while you were.

I guess I meant up until the point where it shows what Fonda did to him and his brother. I mean throughout the film there are little hints, but other than that you really don't get a good idea until the stand-off where it finally becomes clear.

Although, that's exactly what they did. Because they showed Fonda's character all blurry in a few shots and he'd progressively get more clear until the end where he pulls out the harmonica. So...overall I mean, I knew that Bronson wanted Fonda for himself...and it's not necessarily a plot "hole" as maybe just a weaker spot. But with Leone, I'm guaranteeing that was on purpose.

I'll agree though. Fonda is one bad-ass bad guy. Hahaha. They really did accent his eyes. It was awesome. Like, how could a guy with really deep blue eyes kill so hardcore....but at the same time, they're blue as ice-cold...

I really am excited that I finally got to see it. And I even own it now...picked it up in a pawn shop for 7 bucks.
                                Got you. An air of mystery with Bronson's character, I suppose, but, yes, it was Leone's intent.

Very cool. Considering that Jack Elam was only in the movie a couple of minutes at the beginning, it's probably his most memorable role of the 1,000 or so westerns he was in. Good point earlier about the fly.... who but Leone could have made the scene fascinating?

Check out the commentary...interesting stuff. Several scenes were shot in the exact location of moments from Leone's favorite Westerns and/or paid tributes in other methods ("Shane", for example).

For a man of action, not words, it is only fitting that my favorite Bronson line was as simple as "You brought two too many." R.I.P., Charles.

Comment

Working...
                                X