Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Southstander View Post
    Crimson Tide 3 Launch Codes out of 5.

I could not help but draw connections to it and the current Presidentail Race.
    scored by none other than Hans Zimmer
    sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

• Uprising: 8.5/10

Another hidden gem from the library stash. I was surprised to see the number of stars in this film. Leelee Sobieski, Hank Azaria, David Schwimmer, Jon Voight and Donald Sutherland.

Not one of these individuals' performances disappointed me, and I was most impressed by Schwimmer's.

This film is based on the story of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising against the Nazi occupation.

Azaria and Schwimmer are the two men that organize and execute the resistance and uprising. They are joined by Sobieski who plays a girl who loses her family and joins, carrying out numerous dangerous missions to and from the Aryan side.

Even Sutherland was wonderful as the coward Chairman of the Jewish Council who refuses to aid the resistance because he thinks it will result in more casualties to the Jewish people, only because he refuses to believe the atrocities until it is too late.

Voight fits right into his role as the Nazi officer who attempts to crush the resistance. And a cameoed, minor role by Carey Elwes as Dr. Fritz Hippler, the german film-maker who attempts to film the German victory.

Directed by Jon Avnet, which should interest you Kieth because he directed 88 Minutes as well as Righteous Kill and he produced Boomtown (one of my favorite tv shows).

This has to be Avnet's "Schindler's List" because 88 Minutes was definitely his "War of the Worlds."

This was a tv movie back in 2001...probably a miniseries on cable, likely.

Back to Schwimmer though, coming from Friends, and with basically a typecast career, David comes in and takes on a Polish accent, and fires weapons, and blows up some stuff, and beats a Storm Trooper to death with his bare fists... I mean, ROSS fighting... "HUH!????!!!"

Anyway, some parts of this film were hard to watch. I find that now that I'm a father, any film where babies are in peril just... creeps me out and it's hard to watch a baby get lost in rising water struggling to swim, before Sobieski's character saves it.. just hard to watch. I kept wondering what I'd do with my gorgeous little girl if I were in that situation.

If you can find this film, after 88 Minutes, I think this would be a second chance for Avnet.
      sigpic

Comment

• Sounds great! I added it to my Netflix list.
        My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

• The Godfather 5 Horseheads out of 5.

I listen the commentary, and I was suprise how much George Lucas helped on it.
          Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
          sigpic

Comment

• The Extended Director's Cut of 'Almost Famous'. If you are any kind of music fan this is a must see. This is one of my favorite movies to watch over and over again. The characters are so well written and you can actually have emotions for all of them. This is definitely a 9.5 out of 10. 10's are rare for me, but this is as close as it gets.

Comment

• Decision at Sundown (1957 Randolph Scott/ John Carroll/ Noah Beery Jr.) 7/10

Started as a typical western: Scott, seeking vengeance, tracked down Carroll........but it turned out to be anything but a standard story. The drama outweighs the gunfire, usually a negative in a western, but solid performances across the board coupled with a good story make it work. Clocking in at a mere 77 minutes didn't hurt, either.

I greatly admire Randolph Scott, not merely for his acting , but for his decision to make only westerns for the last 1/3 of his career. He wasn't typecast-- he chose to do only westerns for his last 12+ years as an actor. Joel McCrea, his co-star in Ride the High Country (1962), made the same decision. They don't make them like Scott and McCrea anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                The Godfather 5 Horseheads out of 5.

I listen the commentary, and I was suprise how much George Lucas helped on it.
                hmmm. well he obviously didn't help with the writing... cuz it was brilliant.
                sigpic

Comment

• The Incredible Hulk: 7/10

I know... it's about time. I kinda tried to go see it when it came out, but I just didn't care enough I guess, and no one really wanted to go.

Also, I don't think it really warrented a theatrical viewing...

Now, I could easily make this statement before watching this, but now having seen it only confirms that anyone who says The Incredible Hulk was better than Iron Man, is either an idiot, doesn't know jack about movies, or they never saw Iron Man.

And anyone who thinks either of those two were better than The Dark Knight should have their fingers broken.

I digress.

Don't worry... I did not dislike The Incredible Hulk. It was by far eons better than the first attempt with Eric Bana. Ang Lee should just... stay away from directing....period.

Norton is as always a great performer. Also, Liv Tyler is ferociously hot, but in this one she didn't look it as well.

Here's the thing. The plot was much better than the other one. I am with Norton on this one in that I wish Hollywood would keep its grubby paws off of good material. They ruined Hancock by making it a PG-13 and cutting over 45 minutes out of it. And here they came in and took out a lot of stuff that Norton wanted kept in, after all he wrote the story for this one, but if you can't find him credited as a writer, it's probably because he got too pissed off at the studio.

I'd be surprised if he reprises his role as Banner. The other thing that just...got to me was the obvious CGI. Now, when CGI is great, you hardly notice... but here, it was just too computer generated. I realize it's nearly impossible to create a really good looking Hulk, however perhaps they should have asked Guillermo how to make more realistic creatures.

also one major pet peeve for me in film is when they use CGI in place of stuff they don't need it for. Like simply flying a helicopter through the shot. Just get the damn helicopter and make it real.

that's the difference between this and Iron Man... its CGI felt more natural and you hardly noticed, even when there was a dude in a red suit dogfighting F-22s.

You're getting better Marvel... now, just DO NOT screw up The Avengers after all this hype and cross-planting characters. The Avengers better be amazing.

but over all The Incredible Hulk isn't bad for a Red Box rental.
                  Last edited by RealBronco; 11-11-2008, 12:02 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• The Strangers 4/10 not what I expected it to be.
                    sigpic
                    Thanks Blondie for the Sig

Comment

• Old Boy 9/10

This is a Korean movie that Hollywood is going to remake (who would've thought? ) and I have to say the climax was so creepy but awesome.

Comment

• Red Sun (1971 Charles Bronson/ Toshiro Mifune/ Alain Delon/ Ursula Andress) 7.5/10

Pairing Bronson with Mifune (The Seven Samurai/ Yojimbo) was a grand idea. Not on par with The Seven Samurai or Once Upon a Time in the West, but a very entertaining movie. The first "Eastern Western". A smiling, wisecracking Bronson is unusual, to say the very least, but I enjoyed his performance. Mifune was great, as expected.

Comment

• Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                          Old Boy 9/10

This is a Korean movie that Hollywood is going to remake (who would've thought? ) and I have to say the climax was so creepy but awesome.
                          Apparently it's going to be remade and directed by Steven Spielberg and will have Will Smith in it.

I've hated almost all the movies Will Smith has been in and I can tell they are going to butcher this movie.

Comment

• Silver Streak (Richard Pryor & Gene Wilder) Possibly my favorite comedy team duo ever. This movie is very funny and intelligent. They way Pryor & Wilder play off each other is brilliant. 8.5 out of 10

Midnight Run (Robert De Niro & Charles Grodin) Funny movie as well. Dennis Farina plays an excellent mob boss with the accent and F Bombs to back it up. 8 out of 10

Comment

• Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                              Apparently it's going to be remade and directed by Steven Spielberg and will have Will Smith in it.

I've hated almost all the movies Will Smith has been in and I can tell they are going to butcher this movie.

I Am Legend is a classic, at least that's what RealBronco tells me.

The Nameless (1999 Emma Vilarasau) 3/10

Based on a novel of the same name by my favorite author, Ramsey Campbell.
                              I haven't read the book in ages and really don't recall much at all about it. Knowing I'd hate the movie if I re-read the book first (I'm reading through his entire collection..... a ton of books from 1964 on --he was a teenager when his first book was published--... and he's still going strong), I decided to watch the movie first.

It didn't help. Not the least bit scary. Awful acting. "Flash scenes" were just annoying. Only 2 movies have been made based on his novels (Second Name, based on Pact of the Fathers, is the other) and, after seeing this one, most of me hopes that there aren't any in the future. Perhaps it's best if his works are left in written form.

Unfortunately, I decided to watch the english (poorly) dubbed version instead of spanish with subtitles, but nothing could have saved the movie.
                              Last edited by keithbishop; 11-13-2008, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by keithbishop View Post
                                I Am Legend is a classic, at least that's what RealBronco tells me.
                                That and Hancock popped into my head when I heard the news.

Comment

Working...
                                X