No announcement yet.

Last movie you saw-and rate it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Many Saints of Newark- 6.5 out of 10. For all you Sopranos lovers out there this is a good trip down memory lane. My wife and I had fun identifying all the characters earlier versions to their older show character. It was somewhat entertaining being back in that world however I felt the ending fell a bit flat. It was kind of like the movie just decided it’s time to stop and abruptly did so.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I finally saw Nomadland on our movie channel. Sure, Frances McDormand is a quality actress. And it clearly represents the way some folks live these days, which is an interesting though sad commentary of desperation at times. Maybe some are used to it, and are ok with moving about....provided they are getting by. But it did leave a taste of loneliness, which took some of the hopefulness out of it for me. But yes, all in all it is a story worth telling.

But I feel like I've seen many movies like this one, though different topic, that did not get any such acclaim. Even a number of low key productions nearby. Telling good stories, and with a more documentary style. If this was such a project, and did not star McDormand, I am not sure many folks watch it.

Overall it was fine for me. I am not disappointed I watched it. Good story. Not sure the acclaim aspect was warranted.
      I enjoyed it, probably because Mcdormand is one of my favourite actresses.
      Bit slow and dreary at times.
      Not a lot of competition for the gong really, otherwise maybe it wouldn't have won.
      To be honest, oftentimes the best picture disappoints.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaws View Post

I enjoyed it, probably because Mcdormand is one of my favourite actresses.
        Bit slow and dreary at times.
        Not a lot of competition for the gong really, otherwise maybe it wouldn't have won.
        To be honest, oftentimes the best picture disappoints.
        True enough. Sometimes there's a trendiness about a show that causes the voters to align as if they have figured something out that the rest of us just can't appreciate. In this case, if you don't have McDormand in the show, I think it is ordinary. An interesting story but not overly stimulating when all is said and done.

Comment

• Jurassic World Dominion- 7/10.

I was worried for the first 45 minutes to an hour because the story was setting up to be quite boring and almost more of a people are more the problem than escaped Dino’s. But it picked up quite well and I need up way more entertaining than fallen kingdom.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
            The King

Pretty decent. 7/10. Pattinson was great. I want to see a whole movie of nothing but Pattinson as a French villain. I would pay money to see that. lol.
            I really liked that movie, Pattinson was perfect for that role.

Last movie I watched was The Batman in theatres. I'd give it an 8/10. Seemed a lot more real and gritty than most Batman movies. Completely forgot Colin Farrell was in it too until seeing it online afterwards. He should get an award for playing The Penguin.
            :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
            sigpic

Comment

• THE BATMAN: 8/10

Saw this back in March on opening night, of course, but I apparently never stopped by to give my two cents. Watched it again in April when it came to HBO Max as well.

This one does something probably none of the other attempts have succeeded at, which is to say it did a very good job focusing on Bruce's detective skills. Or at least the beginning of them. There were parts where he'd say something that seemed like a guy like Bruce should know the answer to already -- like the location of a club or what a carpenter's tool turned murder weapon would be used for normally.

Outside of that... what a beautiful film. The cinematography is on point. Darkness abounds with great lighting and perfectly framed shots that spell ominous intent throughout.

Pattinson was fantastic. There was a little glitter of Edward's brooding in there, but I think he captured early career Bats rather well. It's great that he has been able to distance himself from that role (Kristen as well) as he has become quite the performer (I liked him in Tenet as well).

Wright, Kravitz and Farrell did great as well. I was quite pleased with Zoe's performance. I think she captured comic book Selina rather well. Wright's take on Gordon was kind of a breath of fresh air. He added a bit of humor to the role that was missing previously, although I feel like Oldman's version did have his moments.

While Colin played a mob guy rather well, as one would expect, I don't really know why they cast him specifically to play Penguin while encasing him in all of that makeup (that was absolutely amazing, however) since they could have found just about anyone to play a mob guy from Queens or Brooklyn the way Colin played him.

The film as a whole really felt like the '90s crime thrillers that were strewn about the decade here and there. Seven, Bone Collector, the original Saw. It really did have that kind of feel to it, but if you've read The Long Halloween and No Man's Land, it works perfectly.

Dano's Riddler seemed like a combination of John Doe from Seven and Jigsaw. Perhaps that's what Dano was going for, or what Miller told him to strive for. If so, he did it well, and creepily too. Although near the end I think he kind of loses his ability to instill fear and mystery to his character.

Overall, The Batman delivers a wonderful piece of cinema. The Batmobile's introduction alone was worth seeing it in theaters for sure. We also get raw, CQC from Batman similar to Bale's style but I feel like it was more refined and Batman-esque in this one.

I know this is a late review and many have probably seen it already, but if you haven't... do yourself a favor, especially if you have HBO Max.

(I will add reviews for Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Top Gun: Maverick and Jurassic World: Dominion when I get more time)
              Last edited by RealBronco; 06-13-2022, 12:38 PM.
              sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

• Downton Abbey: A New Era
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
                  THE BATMAN: 8/10

Saw this back in March on opening night, of course, but I apparently never stopped by to give my two cents. Watched it again in April when it came to HBO Max as well.

This one does something probably none of the other attempts have succeeded at, which is to say it did a very good job focusing on Bruce's detective skills. Or at least the beginning of them. There were parts where he'd say something that seemed like a guy like Bruce should know the answer to already -- like the location of a club or what a carpenter's tool turned murder weapon would be used for normally.

Outside of that... what a beautiful film. The cinematography is on point. Darkness abounds with great lighting and perfectly framed shots that spell ominous intent throughout.

Pattinson was fantastic. There was a little glitter of Edward's brooding in there, but I think he captured early career Bats rather well. It's great that he has been able to distance himself from that role (Kristen as well) as he has become quite the performer (I liked him in Tenet as well).

Wright, Kravitz and Farrell did great as well. I was quite pleased with Zoe's performance. I think she captured comic book Selina rather well. Wright's take on Gordon was kind of a breath of fresh air. He added a bit of humor to the role that was missing previously, although I feel like Oldman's version did have his moments.

While Colin played a mob guy rather well, as one would expect, I don't really know why they cast him specifically to play Penguin while encasing him in all of that makeup (that was absolutely amazing, however) since they could have found just about anyone to play a mob guy from Queens or Brooklyn the way Colin played him.

The film as a whole really felt like the '90s crime thrillers that were strewn about the decade here and there. Seven, Bone Collector, the original Saw. It really did have that kind of feel to it, but if you've read The Long Halloween and No Man's Land, it works perfectly.

Dano's Riddler seemed like a combination of John Doe from Seven and Jigsaw. Perhaps that's what Dano was going for, or what Miller told him to strive for. If so, he did it well, and creepily too. Although near the end I think he kind of loses his ability to instill fear and mystery to his character.

Overall, The Batman delivers a wonderful piece of cinema. The Batmobile's introduction alone was worth seeing it in theaters for sure. We also get raw, CQC from Batman similar to Bale's style but I feel like it was more refined and Batman-esque in this one.

I know this is a late review and many have probably seen it already, but if you haven't... do yourself a favor, especially if you have HBO Max.

(I will add reviews for Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Top Gun: Maverick and Jurassic World: Dominion when I get more time)
                  Looking forward to it. It’s good to see your reviews on here again.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Top Gun:Maverick. 8.5/10. This was a good summertime popcorn movie. It had great action and did a good job of paying hommage to the first movie. Highly recommended.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                      Top Gun:Maverick. 8.5/10. This was a good summertime popcorn movie. It had great action and did a good job of paying hommage to the first movie. Highly recommended.
                      Top Gun Maverick- IMAX, one of the best movie experiences in a while
                      Dr Strange - IMAX, this may be getting a bit much for some but I enjoyed it.
                      Sonic 2 - Bargain, good family / kids movie
                      The Northman - If you liked the show Vikings - Full Price, if you did not Free.
                      Jurassic World Dominion - Bargain

My ratings go like this.

See it on the IMAX (about $25 in my area)
                      Full Price ( $12)
                      Bargain Show ($5)
                      Rent at home ($6)
                      Free
                      Let's Ride!

Comment

• Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post

Looking forward to it. It’s good to see your reviews on here again.
                        Aww, thanks man! That's good to know haha. I've probably seen a few more movies than those, but I figure those are the big ones of the year thus far. So...
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post

Top Gun Maverick- IMAX, one of the best movie experiences in a while
                          Dr Strange - IMAX, this may be getting a bit much for some but I enjoyed it.
                          Sonic 2 - Bargain, good family / kids movie
                          The Northman - If you liked the show Vikings - Full Price, if you did not Free.
                          Jurassic World Dominion - Bargain

My ratings go like this.

See it on the IMAX (about $25 in my area)
                          Full Price ( $12)
                          Bargain Show ($5)
                          Rent at home ($6)
                          Free
                          I love your rating system lol. You may want to add one above/equal to? IMAX. 4DX is super crazy depending on the movie. Top Gun was... Well, let's just say Top Gun is exactly what 4DX was made for lol.
                          sigpic

Comment

• DR. STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS: 7/10

So, this one has been out for a bit as well. Took my two oldest to this one and we had a really good time.

This review may not be too long because frankly, I already don't remember a whole lot of the movie. But, it basically follows the typical Marvel formula with some good humor and some maybe, possibly difficult situations our characters aren't supposed to make it out of, but then somehow do etc...

The full blown embracement of the multiverse by the MCEU is going to continue to be crazy if they keep these movies and tv shows up. The important things to have already seen in their entirety prior to watching this would be Loki and What-If from Disney+. If you haven't seen either of those, this movie might be a little more difficult to follow.

It was awesome to finally see some characters that have been long-awaited show up in this installment. A certain, wheelchair-bound mind reader and a stretchy guy make an appearance, hinting at possible future collaboration. And, since we're dealing with the multiverse, does it really matter if anything bad happens to them or... nah... probably not.

The villain was pretty great because if you've seen Wanda-Vision, then you've developed a bit of a soft spot for the poor ole witch and so, you may find yourself morally conflicted throughout the film. Hmmm. Whatever might that mean?

Marvel films are becoming increasingly difficult to review because they've all but polished and perfected the formula and the way they churn these out with stories that aren't terrible and acting that is always pretty well done. Visually, this movie might only be enhanced if one were to attend while under the influence of various fungal substances.

More adept comic fans will likely notice a lot more nods, Easter eggs and other call backs to several characters, especially the ones featured on the Illuminati Council.

As far as a film is concerned and how it can propel Marvel into their next phase, I think it works well as the final piece of the puzzle that began with Loki and What-If. I probably shouldn't say "final" piece, as we know we're getting new seasons of both shows and probably a third Dr. Strange film sometime down the road once their next phase is well into stride.

Will the Marvel comic book movie machine ever end now? Has it become an Industrial Complex that cannot be reasoned with? It may be so, but do we want it to end? I for one will only be satisfied once the X-Men are properly represented and for an extended length of time and not just one or two movies.
                            sigpic

Comment

• TOP GUN: MAVERICK: 9/10

So, I had to knock off a point for like... basically being the same movie as the first one. Unfortunately, that's becoming all too common these days (Jurassic World, The Force Awakens etc.).

However... while this one gives us a lot of nostalgic fan-service like those aforementioned films, Maverick absolutely delivers a RIDE and a half. Not only that, but where it basically re-hashes the first film, it still manages to do it in a way that's fresh, appropriate and actually makes sense to the plot. The film opens exactly the same way as the first one, which is deliberate...and it was glorious. That theme... the deck of the carrier, the F-14s and Phantoms replaced with F-18s and 22s... the catapult take-offs that begin right in time with Danger Zone punching you in the face all over again... brilliant recall to start off what would become a thrilling and absolutely blast of a movie.

Maverick is still pushing the limits, both in terms of what the Navy will tolerate and in age at this point. Refusing to retire or die, he is still stuck at the captain's rank as a test pilot. And what a way to introduce Maverick's current state of being. The SR-72 prototype "Darkstar" is introduced as Maverick takes one last chance to prove he can hit Mach 10 before Ed Harris shuts him down.

He wouldn't be Maverick if he didn't push the limits. Mach 10 is nothing...but Pete Mitchell always needs more... and it costs him. But an implied phone call from Iceman and Maverick is back to Southern California, back to where it all began to train the Best of the Best in a new, deadly mission that looks exactly like the Death Star run...like... basically the writers thought, "what if we make a whole movie about the Death Star mission?" "No one will notice, right?" "Nah..." "Okay, let's do it..." Well. everyone noticed lol. BUT... this is Top Gun and Pete "Obi-Wan" "Maverick" Mitchell is bound and determined to ensure that Goose's son Bradley "Luke Skywalker" "Rooster" Bradshaw not only survives this mission, but uses the Force to hit that final miracle shot.

But that's all an aside to the fact that there is an awesome amount of real in-flight, in-cockpit action in this movie. The stunts the pilots pull off in this film, the intensity of the F-18s up close and personal... it's almost too much to be able to take it all in at once. Which is why I had to go see it in 4DX after I saw it in IMAX. If you don't see this movie in an equivalent of either of those, you've played yourself, robbed yourself of the cinematic experience of a lifetime. You have to have theater quality sound to get the full effect of this movie, the jets, the engines, the high-octane jet fuel shooting out the back of your seat at Miramar and the break-neck maneuvers through the enemy valley near the end have turned this movie into an instant classic, an instant must-see and dare I say, gives it creed to join the hallowed company of those sequels that are deemed more glorious than their predecessor (the likes of Terminator 2, Aliens, The Dark Knight and now Top Gun: Maverick).

I am still in the skies, still in the cockpit of that F-18, wanting more speed, more barrel rolls and more 50 feet off the ground, high gee maneuvering. I'll watch this movie over and over again at home wishing I was back in the 4DX seats for years to come.

Do not wait for this movie to come into your home before you see it. Do yourself the favor and get to the theater. If you have an IMAX, a DBox, a 4DX, a ScreenX... whatever it is... take the ride, get in the cockpit and ride along as Maverick does some of his pilot ****. You will not regret it.

Not to mention, they bring in that "one admiral's daughter" and actually make that story make sense and work... they give us Iceman in a wonderfully, powerfully moving way, and the way they handle Goose's son and that whole situation also simply adds icing to the cake that is near perfect in action. Oh, and the beach "football" scene that totally pays fanservice to the original volleyball scene actually plays into the plot later instead of just being in the film just to be there for nostalgia, which I thought was a nice touch.

What are you still doing reading this? You should be going Mach 2--er 10 with your hair on fire! Go on! Go see this thing before it's too late!
                              sigpic

Comment

• Thor Love and Thunder- 8/10

Easily the best of the series. So funny and Bale was a great villain. Was nice to have Natalie Portman back in the MCU as well.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X