• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• --- Fishing For Sharks ---

--- A Movie/Book Review ---

--- THE ENGLISHMAN WHO WENT UP A HILL BUT CAME DOWN A MOUNTAIN ---
    --- Christopher Monger --- Writer / Director / Screenwriter

--- The story based upon a true incident, was about Welsh villagers in 1917, building up the local mountain to the required 1000 feet so that English surveyors, who had previously measured it and called it a hill, would record it as a mountain ---

--- The villagers were suspicious of the English surveyors ---
    --- His Majesty’s Ordnance Survey ---
    --- One villager asks, "I don’t see that it’s possible. How will they measure it?"
    --- The other responds, "And what would they be doing with it once they’ve got it?"
    --- The first one responds, "By God, that’s the worry of it."
    --- That remark leads to the conclusion, "The English come only when they want something." ---

--- The story centered on two diametrically opposed characters, The Rev. Jones and Morgan the Innkeeper --- these two eventually bent half way to come together and rally the support of the entire village ---
    --- The village people valiantly struggled to carry dirt and sod up the hill to make it a mountain, meanwhile creating numerous stall tactics to delay the English survey party from leaving the village ---
    --- In the end the villagers prevailed --- they delayed the departure of the surveyors and raised the mountain ---

--- The book was more interesting to me than the movie because of my knowledge of surveying, however it was a good book and a good movie ---

--- Hugh Grant plays one of the English survey crew, and Colm Meany plays the part of the innkeeper --- this is one reason I preferred the book ---
    --- Although, in honesty, both gave fine performances, I don’t like Hugh because of his off camera immoral escapades, but he had no problem portraying a wimpy Englishman !

--- Casting Colm as the innkeeper, in my opinion, was not a good choice ---

--- First of all, and I imagine to the chagrin of the entire Welsh people, Colm is overwhelming Irish !!! --- sorry alan --- ( and the director was Welsh !!!)
    --- Secondly, I have difficulty shaking Colm’s stigmatic Star Trek image --- sorry JWinn ---

--- My favorite character was Miss Elizabeth, aka “Betty” --- portrayed by Tara Fitzgerald --- (Irish mom, Italian dad, born in Sussex) --- It may be that Monger just couldn’t find Welsh actors ? ---

--- Writer/Director Christopher Monger was born in Taff’s Well, and had heard the story from his grandfather and other villagers --- Ffynnon Garw was a fictional name ---
    --- The real village is Taff’s Well (Ffynnon Taf in Welsh), and the mountain is Garth Mountain ---
    --- The movie was not filmed at Taff’s Well because of so much modern growth ---
    --- The filming was done in northern Wales at Llanrhaeadr-yn-Mochnant, about 10 miles west of Owestry, to assimilate village life of 1917 ---
    --- Garth Mountain and Taff’s Well are about six miles northwest of Cardiff ---

--- I highly recommend reading this book or seeing this movie ---
    --- It is an inspirational testimonial that we all have the ability to come together to accomplish great things for the community ---
    --- The movie was released in 1995 ---

--- I named this thread “ Fishing For Sharks” because the beautiful, panoramic camera shots of the Wales countryside reminded me of Jaws ---
    --- Besides, who would click on “ An Englishman Went Up A Hill….” ? ---

--- BTW --- According to the latest Ordnance Survey covering Cardiff and Bridgend, the height of Garth Hill is given as 307 meters (1007 feet), making it a mountain !!! ---

---

http://webapps.rhondda-cynon-taf.gov...ffs%20Well.htm

http://www.llgc.org.uk/dm/dm0074.htm

Last edited by AZ Snake Fan; 02-05-2006, 12:56 PM.

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
    The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
    http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
    My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

I don’t like Hugh because of his off camera immoral escapades, but he had no problem portraying a wimpy Englishman !
    "The English come only when they want something." ---
    --- Besides, who would click on “ An Englishman Went Up A Hill….” ? ---
    That gave me a laugh and cheered me up AZ after the old "enemy" defeated my beloved Wales! They may have won a game of rugby but our mountains beat theirs!

--- First of all, and I imagine to the chagrin of the entire Welsh people, Colm is overwhelming Irish !!! --- sorry alan --- ( and the director was Welsh !!!)
    --- Secondly, I have difficulty shaking Colm’s stigmatic Star Trek image --- sorry JWinn ---

--- My favorite character was Miss Elizabeth, aka “Betty” --- portrayed by Tara Fitzgerald --- (Irish mom, Italian dad, born in Sussex) --- It may be that Monger just couldn’t find Welsh actors ? ---
    A small time budget movie like this one wouldn't have been able to afford quality Welsh actors like Catherine Zeta Jones, Anthony Hopkins, Ioan Gruffydd or Rhys Ifans. They had to go Irish because they were cheaper!

--- I highly recommend reading this book or seeing this movie ---
    --- It is an inspirational testimonial that we all have the ability to come together to accomplish great things for the community ---
    So true. Mountains can be moved if we have faith. St David, the patron saint of Wales's main message was "do the little things". Together, if we all do a little bit things can be changed for the better.

Great review AZ. I've seen it once but quite fancy watching it again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws
      "quality Welsh actors like Catherine Zeta Jones, Anthony Hopkins, Ioan Gruffydd or Rhys Ifans"
      --- not just "quality Welsh actors"---

--- These are quality World Class Actors !!!

---

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
      The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
      http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
      My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

Working...
      X