Iran to hang teenage girl attacked by rapists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran to hang teenage girl attacked by rapists

Tehran, Iran, Jan. 07 – An Iranian court has sentenced a teenage rape victim to death by hanging after she weepingly confessed that she had unintentionally killed a man who had tried to rape both her and her niece.

The state-run daily Etemaad reported on Saturday that 18-year-old Nazanin confessed to stabbing one of three men who had attacked the pair along with their boyfriends while they were spending some time in a park west of the Iranian capital in March 2005.

Nazanin, who was 17 years old at the time of the incident, said that after the three men started to throw stones at them, the two girls’ boyfriends quickly escaped on their motorbikes leaving the pair helpless.

She described how the three men pushed her and her 16-year-old niece Somayeh onto the ground and tried to rape them, and said that she took out a knife from her pocket and stabbed one of the men in the hand.

As the girls tried to escape, the men once again attacked them, and at this point, Nazanin said, she stabbed one of the men in the chest. The teenage girl, however, broke down in tears in court as she explained that she had no intention of killing the man but was merely defending herself and her younger niece from rape, the report said.

The court, however, issued on Tuesday a sentence for Nazanin to be hanged to death.

Last week, a court in the city of Rasht, northern Iran, sentenced Delara Darabi to death by hanging charged with murder when she was 17 years old. Darabi has denied the charges.

In August 2004, Iran’s Islamic penal system sentenced a 16-year-old girl, Atefeh Rajabi, to death after a sham trial, in which she was accused of committing “acts incompatible with chastity”.

The teenage victim had no access to a lawyer at any stage and efforts by her family to retain one were to no avail. Atefeh personally defended herself and told the religious judge that he should punish those who force women into adultery, not the victims. She was eventually hanged in public in the northern town of Neka.

Heard this on the radio this morning. Makes me sick

source:Iran-Focus News
    sigpic
    Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

That is horrible, scary, sad. Where is the justice?

Comment

Ya just gotta love the muslim way of thinking

I know its not all muslim religions or people but i'd venture to guess at least half of them use the Koran as an excuse to wage holy wars and whatever else they deem as religious. I dont know why we try to help or change them, they are backwards and will never see it our way, so we either leave em alone and ignore em, or we waste em all

by SNK

by mrbrightside111

Comment

That is terrible. Talk about injustice.
        Women are still 3rd class citizens in many parts of the world.
        I say 3rd class citizen because many times they put them behind their livestock.

Awful situation that is for that victim.
        Emancipate your mind!
        The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator
          That is terrible. Talk about injustice.
          Women are still 3rd class citizens in many parts of the world.
          I say 3rd class citizen because many times they put them behind their livestock.

Awful situation that is for that victim.
          I agree, E. Either way this poor girl was doomed. If she gets raped, she gets killed for engaging in pre-marital sex. If she gets pregnet, she could very well get stoned to death.

She defends herself, she dies. She gets raped, she dies.
          sigpic

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
          -Sean Payton

Comment

I don't even know what to say about this...

People complain about our justice system?

People think that it's wrong for us to want to change some of the 'customs' of other countries?

I just don't know what to say.

Comment

Disgusting... that's all I can say...

On a side note... I wonder when the "terrorism tour" is going to make a stop by that place... won't be long is my guess.

Not that this topic is a reason for us ending up there (although very sickening), but with the way they are acting up lately... the writing is esentially on the wall.

Why can't these idiots just behave themselves...

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanCam
                Disgusting... that's all I can say...

On a side note... I wonder when the "terrorism tour" is going to make a stop by that place... won't be long is my guess.

Not that this topic is a reason for us ending up there (although very sickening), but with the way they are acting up lately... the writing is esentially on the wall.

Why can't these idiots just behave themselves...
                I dont think it will be long, either. I just hope we can get Iraq on it's feet and settled before it happens. I am hoping the diplomacy works. Europe and the US see the writing on the wall, and I hope they dont repeat the same mistakes (corruption in the UN mainly) when/if the sanctions start.
                sigpic

-Sean Payton

Comment

I hope that the diplomacy works as well, but that is only going to shut down their efforts to produce nuclear weapons...travesties like this will continue to be a way of life over there unless somebody does something about it. I doubt it will be the U.S. following the political firestorm that has erupted over the war in Iraq, and the U.N. clearly has no objections to these actions or they would be in there already. Unfortunately, I feel this will continue to be the way things are done over there, as no other nations in the world feel compelled to step up to the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Buck 1981
                    I hope that the diplomacy works as well, but that is only going to shut down their efforts to produce nuclear weapons...travesties like this will continue to be a way of life over there unless somebody does something about it. I doubt it will be the U.S. following the political firestorm that has erupted over the war in Iraq, and the U.N. clearly has no objections to these actions or they would be in there already. Unfortunately, I feel this will continue to be the way things are done over there, as no other nations in the world feel compelled to step up to the plate.
                    It's a bad feeling huh?

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanCam
                      It's a bad feeling huh?
                      Beyond bad.

Comment

It's disgusting, it is an absolute travesty. But this has been going on for some time now. Now...why did the US sell weapons to them? Hmm. And come to think of it, Saudi's track record in terms of human rights is pretty terrible too. Why no beef with them?
                        sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by muse
                          It's disgusting, it is an absolute travesty. But this has been going on for some time now. Now...why did the US sell weapons to them? Hmm. And come to think of it, Saudi's track record in terms of human rights is pretty terrible too. Why no beef with them?
                          I've got a beef with the Saudis as well.

The sales of weapons to Iran has little to do with the human rights tragedies. I'm not politician, so I don't know why the US would sell them weapons, perhaps in an effort to make allies...guess it didn't work out so well.

Comment

Ugh. This is disgusting.

Stories like these are so out there, they barely seem like they could even be real. I can't believe that something like this could happen.

Rape is absolutely the most evil crime I can conceive. It's almost as if the state is sanctioning it by saying you can't defend yourself in this case.
                            HEAR ME ROAR!
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Buck 1981
                              I've got a beef with the Saudis as well.

The sales of weapons to Iran has little to do with the human rights tragedies. I'm not politician, so I don't know why the US would sell them weapons, perhaps in an effort to make allies...guess it didn't work out so well.
                              The US was playing both sides during the Iran-Iraq war. Keeping the region unstable was believed to be beneficial to our interests.
                              HEAR ME ROAR!
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Working...
                              X