Sin City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sin City

Last night I rented Sin City. I had heard it was a beatifully directed film and had alot of terrific actors involved. Instead I rented a needless bloodbath like most movies terentino is involved with, nonstop killing and some good lines, it was way overhyped. I don't know why this movie was given such good reviews, anyone who liked this movie I appoligize, your obviously entitled to your own opinion.

Originally posted by alwilson91
    Last night I rented Sin City. I had heard it was a beatifully directed film and had alot of terrific actors involved. Instead I rented a needless bloodbath like most movies terentino is involved with, nonstop killing and some good lines, it was way overhyped. I don't know why this movie was given such good reviews, anyone who liked this movie I appoligize, your obviously entitled to your own opinion.

Yeah, your crazy.

Sin City was easily one of the best movies of 2005.

It was an almost perfect adaptation of the graphic novels.

The novels and the movie are over the top by design. Meant to entertain.

I thought it was hillarious.

Don't take it too seriously and maybe you'll be entertained too.

Comment

It's a graphic novel with quite violent tendencies. Tarantino only directed one section, which was the very opening scene, and as he had been reading the comic since it first came out, he actually begged to do a piece.

If you had ever read the graphic novels, then you would realise how beautifully the film was able to tranlate the illustration style onto the big screen(something which many films have tried to do and failed). Frank Miller(the creator) had been approached many many times with requests to do a film based on his novels, and it was not until Roberto Rodriguez asked Tarantino for his assistance that he agreed to release the rights for filming.

I think the style of filming made the violence come across very well, and you could actually see that this was FICTION! It's not like you were seeing graphic representations that are incredibly realistic.

If you want to know about a film that too graphically represents events then you should know that many WW2 veterans were incredibly disturbed by 'Saving Private Ryan', as they felt that the footage too accurately portrayed the events. I for one have never seen the film as I swore to a family friend(who was at Normandy) that I would never watch it. He asked my family that we never see it as he did not go to war and watch his friends die in such a horrific manner, to protect the future of his country, just to have some filmaker put it all up on screen.

The fact that a film such as that should so strongly offend a veteran who was actually there is of more concern to me than a blatant work of fiction filmed in black and white, and highly stylised.

I'm sorry you didn't appreciate it for the artistic merits.
      President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
      I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
        Yeah, your crazy.

Sin City was easily one of the best movies of 2005.

It was an almost perfect adaptation of the graphic novels.

The novels and the movie are over the top by design. Meant to entertain.

I thought it was hillarious.

Don't take it too seriously and maybe you'll be entertained too.
        Yea, I guess I was just in a bad mood, of course the movie was beatifully directed, I just thought it was a bit over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by alwilson91

I saw it at the movies and didnt care for it either. I thought it was to long. I just got kinda bored with the whole theme of the movie.

Comment

I thought it was a great and entertaining movie.

I would rather have Jessica Alba in 100% of the scenes though.

Comment

Sin City is awesome. You just do not appreciate it for the fine art it is. The film was extremely accurate to the comics and believe me I read them when I was young and I still have a couple.
              The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Dawgfan
                Sin City is awesome. You just do not appreciate it for the fine art it is. The film was extremely accurate to the comics and believe me I read them when I was young and I still have a couple.

Your parents let you read them when you were young?

Comment

That was probably my 2nd favorite movie of 2005, my #1 choice being Serenity. ^_^

Something about it just rubbed me in the right way. I can't decide whether it was the great stories, the off the wall characters, or Jessica Alba gyrating in chaps.

Comment

Your parents let you read them when you were young?

I was like 12 or 13 at the time. I had a couple of em. I had a wonderful childhood My parents weren't and aren't the all-controlling type and just made sure I followed the rules. No Drugs, No Alcohol, No bad stuff ya know. But violence - ok. Sex and Nudity - ok, in moderation.

Comment

I was like 12 or 13 at the time. I had a couple of em. I had a wonderful childhood My parents weren't and aren't the all-controlling type and just made sure I followed the rules. No Drugs, No Alcohol, No bad stuff ya know. But violence - ok. Sex and Nudity - ok, in moderation.
                      Yeah, I had pretty much the same upbringing, except it was just my mom raising us and she pretty much let us govern ourselves.

I'll be the first to admit, that I probably could have used more discipline.

Comment

Comics = Fine Art?

That's news to me, I always looked at fine art as being something more like Terry Redlin paintings.

Comment

Yeah, I had pretty much the same upbringing, except it was just my mom raising us and she pretty much let us govern ourselves.

I'll be the first to admit, that I probably could have used more discipline.
                          Yea, like when I was a kid the big thing was 'Robocop'. When it came out I had to see it and everything. I got it and watched it all the time and I just never understood certain parts of it when I was a kid. Watching the movie now - darn that movie was naughty!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Buck 1981
                            Comics = Fine Art?

That's news to me, I always looked at fine art as being something more like Terry Redlin paintings.

Comic books of today have excellent art in them.

For the past 20-30 years, every artist has basically tried to outdo the one before.

The result is that the level of quality in comic book art has reached extremely high levels on a more consistant basis.

As far as artists go, I would take Jim Lee over Terry Redlin any day.

Comment

Yea, like when I was a kid the big thing was 'Robocop'. When it came out I had to see it and everything. I got it and watched it all the time and I just never understood certain parts of it when I was a kid. Watching the movie now - darn that movie was naughty!

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Comment

Working...
                              X